• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I played the 9.9 game...and lost!!!

38 posts in this topic

A few months ago I purchased a PGX 9.9 comic from a well know seller on Ebay. I submitted the Pgx book with my 9.8 pre-screen. When I received my comics back from CGC. My comic that was graded by pgx at a 9.9, was now graded at a 9.8 by CGC. Now before I submitted my pre-screen I called cgc and let them I was sending a PGX book, So I did not remove the comic from the case. All I can think of is that either the comic was slightly damaged when it was removed for the pgx case or when pgx graded the book it was given too high of a score.

Now this was not my first time submitting a pgx comic to CGC. The last time I Sent a pgx comic to Cgc it was a 9.8 and Cgc graded it a 9.8. That was the only reason I decided to take a chance with the 9.9. Well now that I lost my on the pgx comic, I have learned a lesson...Don't buy PGX.

Does anyone else have a similar story?

A few months ago I purchased a PGX 9.9 comic from a well know seller on Ebay. I submitted the Pgx book with my 9.8 pre-screen. When I received my comics back from CGC. My comic that was graded by pgx at a 9.9, was now graded at a 9.8 by CGC. Now before I submitted my pre-screen I called cgc and let them I was sending a PGX book, So I did not remove the comic from the case. All I can think of is that either the comic was slightly damaged when it was removed for the pgx case or when pgx graded the book it was given too high of a score.

There's no chance whatsoever a PGX 9.9 modern is going to come back a CGC 9.9 - PGX throws the 9.9's and 10.0's around like there's no tomorrow.

I tried it once - the PGX 9.9 came back a CGC 9.6.

In all fairness, there's a pretty good chance a CGC 9.9 is not going to come back a CGC 9.9 after a re-sub either - but with PGX it's a sure thing.

There's no chance whatsoever a PGX 9.9 modern is going to come back a CGC 9.9 - PGX throws the 9.9's and 10.0's around like there's no tomorrow.

I tried it once - the PGX 9.9 came back a CGC 9.6.

In all fairness, there's a pretty good chance a CGC 9.9 is not going to come back a CGC 9.9 after a re-sub either - but with PGX it's a sure thing.

(thumbs u What he said.

DRX

The bottom line is that you can't send a book in to CGC and "expect" it to get a 9.9 or 10.0. You can't send in a CGC 9.9 and expect it to get a 9.9 or 10.0 from PGX either. There are too many discrepancies in grading to play a 9.9 and 10.0 game.

Now this was not my first time submitting a pgx comic to CGC. The last time I Sent a pgx comic to Cgc it was a 9.8 and Cgc graded it a 9.8. That was the only reason I decided to take a chance with the 9.9. Well now that I lost my on the pgx comic, I have learned a lesson...Don't buy PGX.

I hope it wasnt that GSXM1

RJ?

The difference between a 9.8 and a 9.9 is near to impossible to discern. So your don't buy PGX is a bit of a mis leading thing to say. This is assuming the 9.9 PGX is resto. free. A ASM 5 was in a CGC 9.6 case. It was re subbed by The CGC as a 9.8. I own a 9.9 White Pages PGX slabbed Civil War 1 Variant. I have shown this book to almost every dealer I know. They have all said the book is flawless. I happen to agree. Not just because I own it. But because it is flawless IMHO. I may re sub it to the fine folks at The CGC. I would expect it to be a 9.9 or a 10.0 Gem Mint.

When your playing the 9.8 - 9.9 9.9 - 10.0 re sub game. You can and will be rewarded and burned. CGC has up and down graded re subs. So has PGX. But The CGC is the gold standard in resto. and grading a comic book. You pay your money and you take your chances.

I'd never take the chance of re subbing a 9.9 hoping for a 10. It's to much of a risk. So is the 9.8 to a 9.9 Simply to much risk. The value of the book will dictate any thoughts of re subbing. Just my 2c

RJ?

Second, was it from Reynold Jay? :taptaptap:

As has been stated, both companies have completely different unpublished grading standards. Someone buying a 9.9 PGX book with the intent of re-subbing to CGC to make a profit is just asking to be disappointed. This is not an exact science for either company. A CGC 9.9 book will probably come back a 9.8 the majority of the time if you were to re-sub it multiple times to CGC. It all depends on the grader's temperament on that particular day. Don't feel that you lost or got screwed as the same thing would happen in almost every case to almost every submitter.

I own a 9.9 White Pages PGX slabbed Civil War 1 Variant. I have shown this book to almost every dealer I know. They have all said the book is flawless. I happen to agree. Not just because I own it. But because it is flawless IMHO. I may re sub it to the fine folks at The CGC. I would expect it to be a 9.9 or a 10.0 Gem Mint.

I'd love to have the ability to look at a book in a PGX 9.8 case and see a CGC 9.9 or 10.0 :cloud9:

What are you talking about lost? You submitted a PGX and ONLY received one grade lower. I call that a winner! :banana:

Yeah most of the time they come back a PLOD,and lower grade :tonofbricks:

Yep. Count yourself lucky.

It does raise the question as to who the heck is sending stuff to PGX???

I just dont understand it?

Do they submit their own books in? Who is falling for this?

Why would any one use the PLOD Masters?

You should never pop a 9.8 or higher out of ANY SLAB just for a resub. doh!

Some 9.8 books were graded 9.6, 9.8 and 9.8 by the 3 graders. VERY EASY to drop in grade when regraded, cause the new scores could be 9.6, 9.6 and 9.8. There is always human error to consider on soo small a defect search in your example.

That's not even counting the possible damage when removing it.

The only time I tell people it's worth a resub is if you are doing the signature series and you want the signature(s) and feel the signature(s) is/are worth the possible grade drop to you.

It does raise the question as to who the heck is sending stuff to PGX???

I just dont understand it?

Do they submit their own books in? Who is falling for this?

Why would any one use the PLOD Masters?

Certain dealers are rumored to have revenue-sharing agreements with Daniel, so most of what they submit comes back higher than the books should be graded.

One dealer has more PGX 9.9s and 10s than anyone should ever see in their sales life.

That's who is submitting books into PGX and making a very nice profit for themselves.