• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic shops in Toronto?

59 posts in this topic

Silver Snail on Queen St. would probably give you the most bang for the buck.

They're in the heart of the trendy district to it makes for good shopping and eating too. Lots of fun if the weather is nice.

I don't know what their stock is priced like but they are probably your best bet when it comes to selection.

They may or may not have any GA stuff available.

When are you going to be in T.O.?

R.

We're staying at a B&B in Niagara Falls until Monday. We've already planned on going up to Toronto to go back to Greek Town, because there is something that we are buying for our anniversary.

We've stayed in Niagara before and it's wasn't a bad drive up that way. In the Dallas/Fort Worth area you get quite use to it taking 40-45 minutes anywhere you want to go.

Greek Town is awesome!

Darcey from Pendragon is a dink in every sense of the word.

Dragon Lady has been around forever and sometimes you can dig up some esoteric stuff.

We saw some nice stefanothikes for sale when we were there last time and want to pick one of this time and ship it back home for our Stefana.

(For those that don't speak Greek, Stefana are Greek wedding crowns linked together by a ribbon of sorts and stefanothikes are display boxes for the crowns)

Geez another Greek?

How many are there?

And why do we all collect comic books! :sumo:

Just picked up a ton of bronze mags for $2 CAD each

What's the back issue selection and wall books like?

I think they picked up a GA collection back in August.

R.

Here is the best comic shops in or around Toronto if you are only looking for GA & Bronze Age comics.

1. Paradise Comics

2. The Beguiling

3. Big B - (Hamilton)

4. Pendragon Comics - Good selection but are expensive

For fun I suggest you check out BMV on Edward St. (east of the World's Biggest Bookstore and near Dundas) & Yonge & Bloor St. (west of Spadina). You will be surprised what you will find.

Just picked up a ton of bronze mags for $2 CAD each

What's the back issue selection and wall books like?

I think they picked up a GA collection back in August.

R.

not a whole lot but some nice books.

Superman 100 stuck out

really nice copy of Subby 36

i was at big b on monday, picked up a ton of books in the basement. if you have never been before, think a room with 50 or so long boxes and everything 2 bucks! i got a stack of warren spirits, creepy and eeries. they had a sweet submariner 2 (golden age) on the walls monday

Great thread!

The folks at BMV have told me that the Bloor/Spadina location is the best for comics. The selection at the Edward St. location is fairly limited; they get a few batches of books now and then, but they're picked over very quickly. The Bloor/Spadina location has a big selection.

Silver Snail actually isn't bad for bronze stuff. They're books are well-organized, so you won't have to wade through random cr@p. I spent an hour going through their bronze Avengers and came away with half a dozen books between #150-200 that all came back from CGC as 9.8s. They cost me a few bucks each. If you have a good eye for 9.8s, you might do well.

I used to be a regular customer at DragonLady in the 1970s when they were on the north side of Queen Street, a little bit west of University. In those days, there were really only three LCSes in Toronto: DragonLady, the Snail, and Memory Lane (Captain George Henderson - who has been discussed on this board before; if you haven't seen then, do a search here for the old interview clips from the CBC that have been posted a few times).

Paradise is great, and they also used to run one of the annual cons in Toronto, but they didn't hold one this year, and WizardWorld has now bought the rights to it:

http://www.wizardworld.com/gashwiencebu.html

I've been to Pendragon a few times, and each time it was a completely frustrating experience.

Well, we went by BMV on Edwards and I was surprised at the number of comics they had, not to mention the old Playboy mags etc.

I bought a few books but nothing really comic related.

We're going to be back in Toronto on Saturday (pretty much most of the day) if any of you want to meet us for dinner?

Tomorrow is our anniversary and we are touring some of the vineyards in Niagara-on-the-Lake.

In Greek Town tonight we didn't find our Stefanothiki but we did buy a rather large Last Supper icon that I'll drop off at the Church when we get back to get blessed.

I was after the box because the traditional 5th anniversary gift is something made of wood so the icon will do. It is wooden afterall.

We ate at Avli in Greek Town. We ate way too much also. Started with baked feta, then avgolemono soup, traditional salad (th no lettuce variety) then my wife had the stuffed chicken breast and I had the lamb souvlaki both complete with rice, potatoes, butternut squash, etc.

Of course we had to get baklava from the bakery down the street and koulourakia (my favorite, I could eat dozens of them)

Tomorrow I'll take some picks of the bronze age mags I bought and post them.

Oh... and I did find a comic shop here in Niagara downtown called Pulp Comics. It's a small shop but I'll probably stop in and check it out tomorrow since we're not really leaving the area.