• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You be the judge...

37 posts in this topic

So there is a person on Ebay right now selling signature series books (the seller's name is not important just yet). Normally I would think this is great ... except that he's advertising some of these books as "Only 1 graded", when I know for a fact that more than one of these books have been graded (even before the census was updated today).

How do I know? Well, for one thing, I was there when CGC was witnessing the signatures. Secondly, I put a copy of each of these books in for grading, so I know these aren't the only ones. And now that the census has been updated, it shows that there are definitely more than one of each of these books.

So what is the problem? Well, I emailed this guy yesterday to tell him that one of the books he's advertising had about 50-60 copies signed during this show (Toronto Comicon in November), so he was incorrectly advertising this book as the only one that has ever been graded. He refused to acknowedge that this was the case and said that it was the only one on the census (when in fact there were none listed yesterday on the census).

Otherwise, he seems to be fairly honest (100% positive feedback). But it still bothers me that he wouldn't change his listing. So what do you think? Am I making too much of this? Should I let it go, and just accept that he is going to look bad within the next week or so when someone else puts up the same book? Or should I be sending a warning signal, telling people to stay away from this guy, since if he is being misleading with these auctions, he might also try to mislead people in his other auctions?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Alex

The seller is outright lying to potential bidders. You did the right thing by sending him an email. But, since he refuses to acknowledge it, you might want to warn potential buyers that the books are not "one-of-a-kind". Or, you could just list yours; people bidding on his will probably see yours. Then you wouldn't be outright tampering w/ his auction(s).....

The seller is outright lying to potential bidders. You did the right thing by sending him an email. But, since he refuses to acknowledge it, you might want to warn potential buyers that the books are not "one-of-a-kind". Or, you could just list yours; people bidding on his will probably see yours. Then you wouldn't be outright tampering w/ his auction(s).....

Clever... thumbsup2.gif

That is actually what I was thinking of doing. And I know that Paradise Comics will most likely post at least one of those same books.

The seller is outright lying to potential bidders. You did the right thing by sending him an email. But, since he refuses to acknowledge it, you might want to warn potential buyers that the books are not "one-of-a-kind".

Be careful. eBay explicitly prohibits members from interfering with auctions by warning other bidders. [edit] OK-saw your post about tampering-nevermind. [/edit]

I think Alex has done what he can--short of contacting eBay directly. I just want to know who the seller is so I can avoid his auctions.

He refused to acknowedge that this was the case and said that it was the only one on the census (when in fact there were none listed yesterday on the census).

This could be an unfortunate occurence where the person is reading the census and assuming it is up to date. There may be an ephiphany in that seller's future. Or they may know about the extra signings and be using the census to back up their claim of "only one". Either way, I would LOVE to see the census updated before those auctions end!

The census was only recently updated for crying out loud, calm down. It's entirely possible that as far as he knew, his WAS the only one. You look at the census, you see none graded (yet), you have one, you assume yours is the only one (so far). Stupid assumption, but not an outright lie. Sometimes you guys are too quick to jump on people. mad.gif

The census was only recently updated for crying out loud, calm down. It's entirely possible that as far as he knew, his WAS the only one. You look at the census, you see none graded (yet), you have one, you assume yours is the only one (so far). Stupid assumption, but not an outright lie. Sometimes you guys are too quick to jump on people. mad.gif

Re-read my post. I know for a fact that one of the books (the one I questioned him about) had somewhere between 50-60 copies of that book signed and graded at the same show by the same person. I phsyically SAW them being signed and witnessed by CGC. There is no assumption here, I factually witnessed this occuring.

But the problem is: when I told him his wasn't the only one, he refused to change his auction, or add a correction to it. Thus, it is misleading to the public, particularly the ones that collect books for their uniqueness, and who are willing to pay high $$$ to be the only one with that book.

Yeah, I saw his auctions and shook my head. As you're aware, I knew better as well. Guess he was just trying to do whatever he could to make a few extra bucks before the other SS books were released. Hmm. Makes me wonder where my books are. tongue.gif