• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much longer do I have to wait?

30 posts in this topic

yup buying bulk modern run on fire sale to read is a lot of fun. I bought a ton of books on sale just for reading. An entire run of iron man from 1 to 25 mint for half the cover price as well as some good run on Daredevil and other books. I am sure I paid less than what the dealer paid for them. I love not having to wait 30 days to read the next issue!

all you need to do is attend conventions on the last day and pick up long boxes of modern for 20 cents on a dollar on many books.

I don't even bother buying book off the rack anymore because it is cheaper to buy bulk from Ebay or at conventions. I haven't buy off the rack since 1993.

My LCS gives me 35% off cover on monthlies and trades. I can't complain. I was using an on-line service getting 40% off cover, but had to pay shipping twice a month. No I can pick them up every week at 35%. Nothing like being at your LCS as they are unpacking the new comics every wednesday.

If anyone is paying over $200 for any comic book I would say its safe to assume that they arent being affected by the recession.

I respectfully disagree. The flood to market of some seriously desirable books over the last year has really shown that while some people will always pay whatever it takes to get the book they want, comics, even valuable comics, are often the first valuable asset liquidated in times of need.

Now, "need" may be defined differently to different people, but whether that person needs $500 or $5,000, that ASM 1 or FF 5 is going up for sale.

You're right that the person "selling" the book is probably affected by the recession but the person "buying" it probably is not.

If I was having a hard time with this economy I wouldnt be shelling out $200 no matter what book was for sale.

yup buying bulk modern run on fire sale to read is a lot of fun. I bought a ton of books on sale just for reading. An entire run of iron man from 1 to 25 mint for half the cover price as well as some good run on Daredevil and other books. I am sure I paid less than what the dealer paid for them. I love not having to wait 30 days to read the next issue!

all you need to do is attend conventions on the last day and pick up long boxes of modern for 20 cents on a dollar on many books.

I don't even bother buying book off the rack anymore because it is cheaper to buy bulk from Ebay or at conventions. I haven't buy off the rack since 1993.

I need to adopt this idea. I keep buying certain books at my LCS and then a few months later I'm seeing the entire run for sale either here or on ebay for about half the price I bought them for. :frustrated:

Sold most of my old comics off 3-4 years ago because I was buying a house. I have been waiting for comics to drop in price so I could start restoring my collection. I haven't noticed any significant drop in value. If anything, I keep seeing threads about record prices achieved.

How bad does the economy need to get before comics come down in price?

2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009

2010,that's when the crash is coming.

We should have a ready made, greatest hit list of TGC predictions.

One from every year of the boards' existence.

"By 2004 you CGC lapdogs will be selling pencils by an entrance to the 405, burning copies of Detective 27 for warmth"

the last time comics crashed is when the economy started shooting back up in the mid/ate 90s, right before CGC and in the early days of ebay.

an argument can be made that comics are sort of countercyclical, but I don't buy it so much when we're talking about expensive books over like $200.

apparently you could get really nice ASM 129s on ebay for $25 back then.

or so I've read.

true, the mania of the early 90's, right in the middle of a different recession, was a bit different, in that we weren't seeing so many five digit books, but rather buying a comic for $1 wholesale and flipping them for $5-$15 in bulk (with the exception of valiant mania, where the $ #s were higher). the 90's boom was really one that benefited dealers/shop owners (if they didn't get stuck holding the bag on the new stuff once 1993/94 rolled around). a heck of a lot more than collectors, who had fewer options to sell back then: hoping not to get F-ed by the local shop or renting a table at a con.

I need to adopt this idea. I keep buying certain books at my LCS and then a few months later I'm seeing the entire run for sale either here or on ebay for about half the price I bought them for. :frustrated:

i don't see so much deep discounting of Goon or WD for whatever reason. i hate to admit it, but i do tend to not bother with most marvels or DCs precisely because of this...I figure there's no point in paying full cover. the stuff that seems to sell out and not have much overstock i am more willing to buy off the rack.

i buy so little off the rack i don't feel too robbed. it helps build good will with my comic shop owner(s). of course, dropping like $100 a week there probably helps build that good will too, even if it's not paying retail on new comics.

Here is a question I never had answered. How much does a LCS have to pay for a $3 cover priced comic? I am guessin 40-50% cover price or else he couldn't give me a 35% discount.

My LCS gets a 57% discount, which is, as far as I know, the highest, so they're paying $1.32 for that $3 comic.

Here is a question I never had answered. How much does a LCS have to pay for a $3 cover priced comic? I am guessin 40-50% cover price or else he couldn't give me a 35% discount.

My LCS gets a 57% discount, which is, as far as I know, the highest, so they're paying $1.32 for that $3 comic.

Thanks for the info. 22% profit isn't that bad per comic for my LCS. However, he does have a lot of overhead.

Sold most of my old comics off 3-4 years ago because I was buying a house. I have been waiting for comics to drop in price so I could start restoring my collection. I haven't noticed any significant drop in value. If anything, I keep seeing threads about record prices achieved.

How bad does the economy need to get before comics come down in price?

2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009

2010,that's when the crash is coming.

We should have a ready made, greatest hit list of TGC predictions.

One from every year of the boards' existence.

"By 2004 you CGC lapdogs will be selling pencils by an entrance to the 405, burning copies of Detective 27 for warmth"