• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone wrote a book, or been involved in writing one? Submitted one?

75 posts in this topic

I believe that can go either way, but I believe 'wrote' is correct here. A better way would have been "Has anyone ever written a book?" English grammar... eek.

If you think that's correct, you might want to reconsider wroting a book. :gossip:

I believe that can go either way, but I believe 'wrote' is correct here. A better way would have been "Has anyone ever written a book?" English grammar... eek.

If you think that's correct, you might want to reconsider wroting a book. :gossip:

:roflmao:

(shrug)

(:

(shrug)

(:

You dissapoint me sometimes..everyone knows it's "wrotting" Dirint llu go two grammer skool?

(shrug)

(:

You dissapoint me sometimes..everyone knows it's "wrotting" Dirint llu go two grammer skool?

U R soh gai!

(shrug)

(:

U R soh gai!

I am just writing the gravy train with laughs and giggles...

Here are some more specific questions, and some of my thoughts.

What is a good average number of pages in/for an indy book?

Honestly, you would probably have a better shot at getting a graphic novel published by someone like Dark Horse or Oni Press, than having them publish pamphlets (single issues). If you go this route, try to make it 220-250 pages. One reason for this as I've been told, is mainly so the title on the spine is thick enough to catch the eye. That's what Oni says, anyway.

Ive been writing my comics like a play/movie -script, Is that the way to go?

Yes.

Once I know what I want on each page, should I make rough (and I mean rough...) sketchs of what I would like to see - or just descriptions and let it flow from the artist? Or should it be a little of both - example something i know I would like to see a certain way, etc ?

I know it will vary from artist to artist, but most artists I know want as much information as humanly possible. It prevents confusion later. Doing some thumbnails yourself would be a big help for the artist, even if your art is terrible. Stick figures are better than nothing. Doing some thumbs yourself will also help you, because chances are you'll catch your error if you wrote an impossible panel. By impossible panel, I mean something two or three actions happening at once that would be impossible to actually draw. Example:

"He enters the apartment, slamming the door behind him and tossing his keys on the table while switching on the television. Hearing a noise from the kitchen, he whips his head around in that direction."

My artist friends say writers do that all the time and it drives them (the artists) absolutely nuts. Even professional ones are often guilty of this.

I've written two books, both published by John Wiley. They are textbooks. Not very lucrative, other than the recognition
That is the coolest thing I have heard all week...huge kudos!

It's fun to walk into the local Barnes & Noble and see your books on the shelf...

cover.jpg

balboabk2.jpg

Are you kidding your THAT JEFF DELANEY! I have the Newport Beach post cards book :applause:

I hope you enjoyed it! :foryou:

Awesome I sure did :cloud9:

I've written two books, both published by John Wiley. They are textbooks. Not very lucrative, other than the recognition

I don't think everyone understands how "not gettin laid" you have to be to write a text book. :foryou:

I don't think everyone understands how "not gettin laid" you have to be to write a text book. :foryou:

As much as one has to be to read it....

Originally Posted By: Mister_Comics

I wrote a Iron Man story that seen print in TOS #65. The story of Tony Stark's old golden Iron Man suit being stolen. He battles the guy wearing it in the climax of the story. I only got a thanks from Stan Lee and a "No-prize" for it. But it was a thrill to see my story drawn out and see print.

Over the years I've written a lot of articles that have gotten printed. Today I'm working on a "work procedure" instructions book for a company. Kind of boring, but as always looking forward to seeing it in print.

My daughter is a designer for a magazine. She sets up how the magazine pages will look. She gets to travel a lot for the company. This year we were lucky enough to hook up with her at Lake Tahoe. I was on vacation there and she had a assignment there at the same time. I love seeing her work. She always shows me the cool pages she's working on before they go to print. She does that just to hear my opinion.

I suggest if you write, let someone else read it over for feedback. Rearranging and re-writing will lead to a well written story.

Poster: thehumantorch

How did the Iron Man story come about? It sounds like a great story.

After reading the Iron Man battling Cap story in TOS. And I really liked the Iron Man battling Angel story from a few issues back. I came up with the idea for the story of Iron Man fighting against his old costume.

I wrote a Iron Man story that seen print in TOS #65. The story of Tony Stark's old golden Iron Man suit being stolen. He battles the guy wearing it in the climax of the story. I only got a thanks from Stan Lee and a "No-prize" for it. But it was a thrill to see my story drawn out and see print.

Over the years I've written a lot of articles that have gotten printed. Today I'm working on a "work procedure" instructions book for a company. Kind of boring, but as always looking forward to seeing it in print.

My daughter is a designer for a magazine. She sets up how the magazine pages will look. She gets to travel a lot for the company. This year we were lucky enough to hook up with her at Lake Tahoe. I was on vacation there and she had a assignment there at the same time. I love seeing her work. She always shows me the cool pages she's working on before they go to print. She does that just to hear my opinion.

I suggest if you write, let someone else read it over for feedback. Rearranging and re-writing will lead to a well written story.

Wow, that's a pretty classic story. Good job!

Your story was printed in a classic silver age book??? :o Absolute fanboy heaven!!! (worship) (worship) (worship) Here's my copy of said story:

tos65m.jpg

I'd recommend following Cebulski's twitter account. A lot of people in the business have noted that he gives great advice (and he's know the current state of affairs as it's his actual job).

This topic got a bit vague, but if it was ever about books (as in novels), the simple truth is you need an (respected) agent to get looks by the big boys. All you have to do is convince the agent, the agent does the rest.

You are incorrect about how you titled your header. You need to check your spelling also.

These are essential basic elements if you want to write, and submit stories.

Better you hear it from forumites, than a editor. And I wish you good luck on your

submission. :)

Irony folks. In circles forever.

:D

...and on so many levels. You said "a editor"...should be "an editor"...not that I really care...just chock full of goodness this thread is.

:whee:

Don't forget this gem! "I wrote a Iron Man story that seen print in TOS #65."