• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the PGX grade: Flash 121

15 posts in this topic

I think maybe, aside from the resto check business about which I don't know enough to offer an opinion, PGX differs from CGC in how strict they are. There's always a bit of a range in my mind when I'm looking at a comic. I think CGC errs on the low side, and PGX errs on the high. Of course there are always exceptions.

As far as a business model is concerned, it's probably best to err a little low. In a buyer-seller transaction, the buyer will feel like he's getting a bit of a deal. And the half point CGC might drop isn't too much of a hit for the seller. Plus, it makes those 9.2-9.4 comics look beautiful, and a 9.8 really something special.

With PGX comics, I as a buyer have started to feel like I'm overpaying. Their 6.0 looks like my personal 5.0-5.5.

If your the gambling type. Buying a PGX slab can be very profitable. Find a book that you strongly think is under graded. Take the best look you can at the book looking for any restoration. If your sure the book is resto, free and under graded, buy it. Send the book off to the fine folks in Sarasota. If they upgrade the grade and give it the "all clear". You can make a very good profit flipping the book. It's a gamble to be sure. But the profit can be HUGE!!!!