• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some ADVICE PLEASE? Package "LOST" shipped to Canada..

43 posts in this topic

I shipped a cgc comic book via Airmail Parcel Post on November 8th with $145 insurance coverage and the buyer has not received it yet. He has kept in contact with me and emailed me again today stating that the package has yet to arrive.

This is the email I sent him:

"Hi Tom,

Here is the Insurance label # and PS Form #:

-Insurance Label Serial# **********

-PS Form 2976-A label #: **********

I can't file an insurance claim until 30 days after November 8th since it was mailed on that date. Luckily the package was insured so you will get your money back. I'll need you to write me a letter stating that the package did not arrive. Please include the ebay item #, item title, etc etc. Also please include your signature for verification. Just to give you an idea of how long it may take, my friend had to file an insurance claim for a lost domestic shipment and it took 3 weeks, so I hope your situation is resolved in a timely manner.

I spoke to a USPS representative and she told me that Customs on occasion holds some packages up to 30 days+ for whatever reason, but we'll play it safe and hope for the worst in a sense to make this an easier fix for both of us. Once I receive your letter, I will take it up with the local post office and demand for your refund. Once I receive the money from them I will zip the money to.

Please send your letter to:

Ricky Nguyen

Anaheim, CA ***** U.S.A.

Feel free to email me with any questions or concerns and I truly apologize for this inconvenience. This is the first time that a package of mine was lost. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks for your business. As a verified SquareTrade Seal Member, we are committed to honest selling and customer satisfaction. If you have any questions about this auction, please don't hesitate to email us.

Thanks,

Ricky aka speedjunkies"

Did I leave something out? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not afraid about him leaving me a negative since I sense that he is a reasonable guy. If he decides to neg me for the PO's mistake I can alway get it removed using squaretrade since I have the original receipt with all of the customs and insurance forms. I just want to make sure the problem is fixed in a timely manner (which I doubt since the PO takes forever I hear) and that the buyer gets his money back. grin.gif

Insurance usually covers outright loss, not damage to items. Book could be sitting at Canada Customs for 10 days as they assess the importation tax on the declared value of the item. They may slice open the parcel to see if there is a hidden invoice w/ a higher real value on an invoice.

Last time I dealt w/ Canada Post on an insurance claim, it took 12 months to settle. Parcel went astray enroute to USA.

Hopefully, USPS offers better follow up service.

Where in Canada this this package go to Rick? I just sent one this past weekend and I'm a little worried that it will reach it's intended destination. Especially after CI's warnings.

It is insured so no worries there...just anxious.

Thanks,

Mine went to Calgary, Alberta on the 23rd so I have some time. Another question for our friendly Northern neighbors (except for greggy wink.gifgrin.gif )...how much does customs charge on an insured package say for 350.00? Do they charge even if it was marked as a 'gift?'

My buyer actually requested insurance. If he hadn't I would have strongly suggested it. Especially for a 350.00 book. Bummer to hear about your sale...I've sent a number of packages to Cananda earlier this year with nary a problem. I can only hope this one goes through fine as well.

Here's the deal on Customs:

1) The declared limit on "Gifts" is $100 Canadian (about $65 USD), and other than Xmas cheer from the border patrol, no exceptions are made on this limit. The limit on sales is $20 Canadian, and after that they become taxable.

2) All applicable federal and provincial taxes (no duties on used goods) are charged on either the insured amount or the amount that customs decides to allocate. I bought some junk readers for 99-cents, the seller marked it as such, and I still got whacked when a genius customs dolt decided to arbitrarily increase this to $30 USD (got my money back after I appealed and sent the EBay listing).

3) All goods held/processed by Customs are subject for a $5 handling fee, no matter the actual tax charge given. IOW, you could get hit with 50-cents in taxes, but 5 bucks in handling.

So a 350.00 insured package could get whacked with say, $100.00 additional fees? This is just an estimate as I'm not certain of provinical or Canadian federal taxes. Yeesh...since the buyer requested the insurance I hope he's ready for that notice! frown.gif

Thank god that the buyer requested for the insurance tongue.gif I just paid for the insurance amount since he was hit $14 for airmail shipping. Hopefully the package arrives...and if it does he can't be pissed at me since I did everything he requested and paid out of pocket for the insurance smirk.gif

On a related note, Canada Post may actually be doing something about their high rate of Xmas thefts. Usually my packages get delivered by some local yokels in a rusty pick-up (standard Canada Post contractors grin.gif ) but my two latest parcels (no charges) had to be picked up at the Postal Outlet.

Maybe it's coincidence, or maybe not......

Murph , its too cold in Canada at this time of year for the Mounties to ride anywhere . The horse would just freeze motionless in the air -right in mid-gallop . How do you think they filmed all those Outer limits and Twilight Zone episodes before the days of computer grapix & special EFX ? They simply filmed in Canada ! grin.gif