• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And people wonder why folks get a little bit peeved...

1,324 posts in this topic

oh, i think posts from these debates do indeed do something. not everyone who is reading them responds or makes their stance known.

now you could argue that these debates are tiring as hell and wish all involved parties would develop a sudden and irreversible apathy towards the subject matter, but i don't think one can blithely dismiss them as utterly irrelevant across the board.

:foryou:

I watched this awful movie the other day called Role Models. :sick:

Anyway, they have this big renaissance style war at the end with foam swords and shields, etc...

I say we get everyone together in a large field. Pro pressers on one side, anti guys on the other and duke it out for the final say on the matter. Those who wish not to fight can sit on the sidelines and eat Jive's cheeseburgers.

oh, i think posts from these debates do indeed do something. not everyone who is reading them responds or makes their stance known.

now you could argue that these debates are tiring as hell and wish all involved parties would develop a sudden and irreversible apathy towards the subject matter, but i don't think one can blithely dismiss them as utterly irrelevant across the board.

I agree the threads do something. They certainly make more and more people aware. I just don't think the results would be much different if only one side was left to post. I believe that people can be their worst enemy. If I were speaking for either side, I'd say let them punch themselves in the face, and don't punch ourselves.

People can say this is the typical pressing "same ole' same ole'" thread but it's has been very revealing on how the whole pressing debate has matured.

People now acknowledge openingly that pressing can be detected...

That maybe pressing does harm a comic...

That the game is being played and not likely to go away due to CGC's stance on pressing....

You can take this with a grain of salt but I see progress here in relation to finally seeing what's going on in this hobby. Kudos for Arex for providing the spark...

Jim

Since most of what you are referring to seems to echo my comments from yesterday, let me say I doubt my specific views represent those of the average pro-presser. I was a convert to the cause, based on practicality, not ideology.

Arex is still right, a well done press job is still very difficult to detect. I certainly don't have the ability to do so with anything even approaching 50% accuracy.

As for causing damage to a comic, please don't take my words out of context. I doubt pressing a book will cause any more damage then leaving a Priority Mail box with a slab in it in a hot car for a few hours. Its the old double cheeseburger analogy...sure its bad for you, but how many of them do you have to eat before you actually suffer long term health-related issues from it. Will eating one or two do it? Doubt it.

As for the CGC "game". Nothing new there either...at least not if you've been on these boards for any length of time. My delusions about the absolute integrity of the process were shot out from under me around 2004....what about you? My views on CGC are more pragmatic nowadays, and even with grading inconsistencies and all, Mark, West, and the rest of the gang still are Golden in my book. (thumbs u

So, in retrospect, another XXX pages of Pressing debate, with nothing new or remotely interesting to add to the discussion. Your results might differ.

I think your fanny pack has cut off the blood supply to your brain. Try reading all the pages again and you'll realize more people want full disclosure. More people are becoming aware of pressing and are asking questions etc.

What is with this obsession to compare pressing to cheeseburgers?

This is the typical presser response "same old nothing new.... :blahblah:"

Kudos to Arex for helping more people become aware of pressing (thumbs u

Perhaps that fanny pack is doing harm...laden as it is with the spoils of MEEELLIONS of pressed and flipped books. meh

Do me a favor sunshine, stop asking for scans of books you can't afford or have no real intention of buying. I really have better things to do, like spending another day contributing nothing of interest to another worthless pressing thread....m'kay?

Over the last year I've watch the pro-pressing crowd in here continue to try to shout down any opposition to their cash cow. If they can't shout the person down, then they point fingers at them for not being able to walk away. Why don't you pro-pressers drop it? Does every voice of dissent have to be crushed by you in order to make you feel better about the process? And you also might want to ask yourself just exactly who is baiting who.

who the :censored: are you talking to? because it can't be me.

You're clearly an obstinate person who's been pushed to the edge of sensibility and personal decency by a whole group of others. I'm singling you out because you're continuing to wage what seems like a one-man campaign here and the other side doesn't really appear to be all that interested in continuing it with you.

At least not on your terms.

Which by most accounts is a loss in a debate exercise. It ain't me being pejorative, it's the bloody truth

Yes I'm talking to you. You're telling me to drop it. Who the hell are you to tell me to drop it? If anyone is pushing the bounds of sensibility and personal decency, it's several members of the pro-pressing crownd in here. The minute a voice of dissent pops, they try to shout it down. If they can't shout it down, they resort to the tactics anyone in here can see just by going back and reading this train wreck of a thread. They've used insults, name calling, accused me of being a liar, said I'm another board member, accused me of being a shill...one long time board member even called on other board members to refer to me by someone elses name in some kind of sad effort to get me to keep quiet.

How utterly pathetic is that?

I won't drop it and I won't be shouted down. The insults don't bother me, and anyone with any common sense whatsoever can see what the pro-pressing crowd is attempting to do in here. I've watched them do it repeatedly over the last year. I'll continue to voice my opinion in here on the subject, and if they don't like it...well that's just too bad. They're free to not engage me or to put me on ignore. From what I've seen in many of their childish responses so far...it will be no big loss for me.

Over the last year I've watch the pro-pressing crowd in here continue to try to shout down any opposition to their cash cow. If they can't shout the person down, then they point fingers at them for not being able to walk away. Why don't you pro-pressers drop it? Does every voice of dissent have to be crushed by you in order to make you feel better about the process? And you also might want to ask yourself just exactly who is baiting who.

You're clearly an obstinate person who's been pushed to the edge of sensibility and personal decency by a whole group of others. I'm singling you out because you're continuing to wage what seems like a one-man campaign here and the other side doesn't really appear to be all that interested in continuing it with you.

Which by most accounts is a loss in a debate exercise. It ain't me being pejorative, it's the bloody truth

Yes I'm talking to you. You're telling me to drop it. Who the hell are you to tell me to drop it? If anyone is pushing the bounds of sensibility and personal decency, it's several members of the pro-pressing crownd in here. The minute a voice of dissent pops, they try to shout it down. If they can't shout it down, they resort to the tactics anyone in here can see just by going back and reading this train wreck of a thread. They've used insults, name calling, accused me of being a liar, said I'm another board member, accused me of being a shill...one long time board member even called on other board members to refer to me by someone elses name in some kind of sad effort to get me to keep quiet.

I won't drop it and I won't be shouted down. The insults don't bother me, and anyone with any common sense whatsoever can see what the pro-pressing crowd is attempting to do in here. I've watched them do it repeatedly over the last year. I'll continue to voice my opinion in here on the subject, and if they don't like it...well that's just too bad. They're free to not engage me or to put me on ignore. From what I've seen in many of their childish responses so far...it will be no big loss for me.

great, great. that's all well and good, but i was referring to the part of your post that i bolded - perhaps in your haste to push back you missed that - wherein i got lumped in with the "pro-presser" group that was "arguing" with you.

if you really want to, i'm sure you can find a post somewhere on these boards where i may have made a statement regarding pressing that could be categorised as "pro" but my bet is that you'd have to look pretty hard and have a pretty loose definition of "pro."

i look forward to the next six hundred posts between you and six or seven others who are just :censored:ing with you that goes nowhere and accomplishes nothing

great, great. that's all well and good, but i was referring to the part of your post that i bolded - perhaps in your haste to push back you missed that - wherein i got lumped in with the "pro-presser" group that was "arguing" with you.

if you really want to, i'm sure you can find a post somewhere on these boards where i may have made a statement regarding pressing that could be categorised as "pro" but my bet is that you'd have to look pretty hard and have a pretty loose definition of "pro."

i look forward to the next six hundred posts between you and six or seven others who are just :censored:ing with you that goes nowhere and accomplishes nothing

I think you obviously just answered your own question then. And I doubt if it would have to be as "loose" of a definition as you think.

And by all means...do stay tuned for the next six hundred posts.

It's going to be a lot of fun...and perhaps you might actually figure out just who is poking at who (or would that be whom?). hm

It's going to be a lot of fun...and perhaps you might actually figure out just who is poking at who?

:o I was wondering why I was waddling this morning....., I think a presser broke into my room last night! :P

I agree, even though these threads have pretty much been reduced to a re hashing of old opinions with a handful of people participating does not mean there is not merit in them.

To some members this is all new, and needs to be available so they can make an informed opinion about this part of our hobby. Be it to avoid pressed books altogether, or to have books pressed. And buried in threads like this are little nuggets of info that help define, or make some rethink the big picture.

I will say though I never was fond of the "us vs them" or personal attack nature of the pressing debate. But given the volatile subject matter I suppose it is inevitable, and probablly what keeps many posters away.

Pressing is here to stay, on what level it will remain prevalant in coming years I have no idea. The only thing I know for sure is this will not be the last pressing thread.

(:

I will say though I never was fond of the "us vs them" or personal attack nature of the pressing debate. But given the volatile subject matter I suppose it is inevitable.

Pressing is here to stay, on what level it will remain prevalant in coming years I have no idea. The only thing I know for sure is this will not be the last pressing thread.

(:

+1

Yes I'm talking to you...

You have a right to your opinion, a forum to express it, and the will to keep it front and center. It kinda makes me proud ^^

I think it's great that Domo is willing to spend hours and hours everyday to educate the masses about the practice of pressing. Matt has 47 kids to feed, and the extra customers will help. (thumbs u

I think it's great too.

At least now some of those extra customers will realize that pressing is restoration and damages the books...and can proactively disclose it like any other decent human being would. (thumbs u

But it looks like I'm going to have to pick up the pace though...at this rate, it'll take me 20 years to catch up to your post count.

I think it's great that Domo is willing to spend hours and hours everyday to educate the masses about the practice of pressing. Matt has 47 kids to feed, and the extra customers will help. (thumbs u

I think it's great too.

At least now some of those extra customers will realize that pressing is restoration and damages the books...and can proactively disclose it like any other decent human being would. (thumbs u

But it looks like I'm going to have to pick up the pace though...at this rate, it'll take me 20 years to catch up to your post count.

That post alone is worth a new pair of shoes. (thumbs u

Yes I'm talking to you...

You have a right to your opinion, a forum to express it, and the will to keep it front and center. It kinda makes me proud ^^

Super. I'll add you to my Christmas card list.

I think it's great too.

That post alone is worth a new pair of shoes. (thumbs u

Can I have a gold star too?