• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And people wonder why folks get a little bit peeved...

1,324 posts in this topic

Sorry. I usually don't get involved in these discussions but...

Are you actually stating that people that are against pressing don't know enough to have an intelligent opinion?!?!?!

Sorry, but it's time to pull this out of retirement.

Nice try - read carefully - I'm saying not all books can be improved by pressing, and anyone that wants to disprove should base their opinions with fact, and not

88756.jpg

Two way street. Can anyone who presses books actually prove that there will NOT be any long term effects?

Nope. Not at all. There is nothing conclusive or quantifiable either way. It is our Religion, both pro and anti, fueled by Belief and precious little Science, and will remain so for the foreseeable future.

Damn Arex, I hope you are getting a huge kick out of this thread....

Sorry. I usually don't get involved in these discussions but...

Are you actually stating that people that are against pressing don't know enough to have an intelligent opinion?!?!?!

Sorry, but it's time to pull this out of retirement.

Yes, those who press books are superior in intellect. They also have cooler heated comic books, and way sweeter sweatier hair from all the humidity.

Sorry, but I had to correct this.

Susan , Tracey and Matt all press comics as part of restoring a comic. Susan, and Tracey are self professed "conservation minded" folk, if pressing was overly harmful to the long term life of a comic do you really think they would do it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Susan now stated that she will no longer press comics unless it's part of a larger overhaul of the book? She doesn't believe that the benefit accrued outweighs the potential damage? (shrug)

I believe so.

Susan , Tracey and Matt all press comics as part of restoring a comic. Susan, and Tracey are self professed "conservation minded" folk, if pressing was overly harmful to the long term life of a comic do you really think they would do it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Susan now stated that she will no longer press comics unless it's part of a larger overhaul of the book? She doesn't believe that the benefit accrued outweighs the potential damage? (shrug)

I believe so.

So if pressing is not restoration, if it does no damage to the book, if it is ethical and above board...

Why would a woman of Susan's knowledge, experience, expertise and stellar reputation (let's face it, she's probably one of the top three restorers/conservators of comic books in the industry, if not the premier) refuse to simply press a book? hm

I mean, it's contrary to Matt Nelson's stand on the issue, so what's the difference between the two of them? hm

I believe so.

So if pressing is not restoration, if it does no damage to the book, if it is ethical and above board...

Why would a woman of Susan's knowledge, experience, expertise and stellar reputation (let's face it, she's probably one of the top three restorers/conservators of comic books in the industry, if not the premier) refuse to simply press a book? hm

I mean, it's contrary to Matt Nelson's stand on the issue, so what's the difference between the two of them? hm

One is loved here on the boards, and sought after to be near that person during an exhale. The other ..... not so much.

I believe so.

It could have something to do with the type of books Susan is more likely to be assigned to work on. A wise person once told me that you shouldn't press high value books. It could be that there is something to the damage aspect, but it could just also be that it isn't worth Susan's time (and may I add it doesn't exactly do anything to uphold her unblemished reputation). Its not to say that the work is beneath her (and it certainly must be profitable for Matt to have taken it on as a service), but asking Susan to strictly do pressing work is like asking someone with Julliard School training to divide their professional career by teaching kids to play music out of their home. Its great when you hear stories of people doing things like this, but the reality is that you must really want to do it as it takes a toll on your time and capacity to maintain a professional standing. Sometimes the time factor alone is enough for someone to opt out.

I believe so.

hm

:popcorn: :popcorn:

I believe so.

It could have something to do with the type of books Susan is more likely to assigned to work on. A wise person once told me that you shouldn't press high value books. It could be that there is something to the damage aspect, but it could just also be that it isn't worth Susan's time (and may I add it doesn't exactly do anything to uphold her unblemished reputation). Its not to say that the work is beneath her (and it certainly must be profitable for Matt to have taken it on as a service), but asking Susan to strictly do pressing work is like asking someone with Julliard School training to divide their professional career by teaching kids to play music out of their home. Its great when you hear stories of people doing things like this, but the reality is that you must really want to do it as it takes a toll on your time and capacity to maintain a professional standing. Sometimes the time factor alone is enough for someone to opt out.

Susan is a very nice woman. I had the pleasure of having dinner with her after NYCC this year. I didnt bother asking about pressing, because quite frankly I dont care enough. I doubt she would deny possible damage done to a book by adding moisture and heat. But on the other hand I doubt it is going to have quite as severe reprecussions as some would have you believe. Now if I am wrong, there will be alot of brittle books in the future.

I believe so.

Money. I have no problem with Matt. But his entire life revolves around pressing.

I believe so.

Let me correct this before it goes any further. Susan stopped doing press-only jobs due to concerns over non-disclosure - NOT because "she doesn't believe that the benefit accrued outweighs the potential damage." Susan continues to press books as part of the overall restoration process.

Susan Ciccioni - No Press Declaration

OK, so it was the ethics that concerned Susan. (thumbs u Here's the piece in full...

Restoration Expert Susan Cicconi Denounces Pressing. Noted comic book restorer, Susan Cicconi of TheRestorationLab.com, has announced she will no longer be pressing comic books, considers pressing to be restoration, and considers undisclosed pressing to be an unethical and deceptive practice.

Susan is the foremost and respected restoration expert of comic books, and has over 25 years of professional restoration experience under her belt. For those who do not know about her background, here are just a few highlights. Susan started her apprenticeship in Paris, France under the tutelage of the chief paper conservator at the Museum of Modern Art in the late 1970s, where she first worked on fine art prints (including 36 original drawings by Picasso.) She then continued her apprenticeship in NYC and her work included restoring an 18th century watercolor scroll for the French government. She eventually settled back in Boston in 1981-82 where she became the assistant to William Sarill, an early pioneer in comic book restoration. After another short stint in Paris she returned to Boston for good in 1986, at which time she bought Sarill's business The Restoration Lab. Since then Susan has developed an impressive resume in comic book restoration and conservation.

From 1991-1998 she served as the chief restoration consultant for the historic collectible auction house Sothebys. Her restoration work has included such notable comics as Marvel #1, Action #1, Superman #1, Flash #1, More Fun #52, Showcase #4, Amazing Fantasy #15, Spiderman #1, Fantastic Four #1 and many more. Something not likely known within the comic community is that Susan also has extensive experience in cleaning, pressing and restoring valuable baseball cards. She no longer practices this form of restoration/conservation due to the very same "lack" of disclosure in the field.

To be sure, Susan does not hide the fact that pressing was a service she previously provided. Although she did so, it was always her hope that her customer would reveal the information to any prospective buyer. From what she could tell, however, this was not being done. This is one of the primary reasons why she no longer wishes to engage in the pressing of comic books. It is her hope that by taking a public stand others will also realize the negative ramifications of what is being done to the comic book community.

When asked about how pressing has become such a controversial topic, Susan noted that back in the 1980s pressing was typically part of a more involved service that encompassed many facets of the treatment process. Pressing today has an entirely different spin, and in her opinion, should still be disclosed. What led her to change her views? For one thing, the advent of CGC changed everything, particularly due to the sophisticated change in the grading system, i.e., the creation of the numerical designations. Susan feels strongly that the entire pressing controversy is about nothing more than simply getting the better grade (typically on an already high grade book!) in order to increase the monetary value of the book. It has nothing to do with the fundamentals of what conservation restoration is all about.

Around 2000, both dealers and sellers started asking her to just press comic books. She had been approached by many well known dealers. Then, the so-called "non-professional" restorers came on the scene, the ones who were buying dry presses or using other devices to simply enhance the grade of the book in order to generate greater profit. Also, for those of you who have been pressing your comic books, or buying from those dealers who are intentionally pressing books (without disclosure) with no regard to significant harm to the structural integrity of the book. For one thing, the spines are crushed under the pressure, cover gloss can be diminished or smudged if proper protection is not employed and in some cases, the very crease, dent or wave can revert back to its pre-pressed form. The bottom line is that they could be ruining the books simply to make extra money for their pockets, at the buyer's expense.

Susan said that she takes her work very, very seriously. Throughout her career she has maintained a conservative approach to restoration/conservation by employing traditional methods that were learned on very valuable fine art prints. She wants to steer her well-known reputation of science and artistry back to the fundamentals of restoration/conservation. It's a "healing process" or "the bringing a piece of history back to life" that gives her and the recipient the greatest pleasure. On the question of detection, Susan told me that one may not be able to tell that the book had been pressed if it had only been dry-pressed. She would maintain that if she were to "get back" some of the books that she previously just pressed, it would be very hard to detect that service, so skilled is her work. If a solvent was used to clean the book, however, it could be detected by the "whiteness" in the cover and sometimes by the residual smell if not sufficiently aired out. In today's world, most professional pressing jobs unfortunately won't be detected and in her opinion it's really just the well-trained EYE and the FEEL of a seasoned comic book aficionado that can make the assessment. Nevertheless, she does believe that there are some types of books where the pressing could be detected, at least by a professional such as herself who has spent 25 years of looking at just the defects of a comic book. A lot depends on the age of the book and the specific defects involved but she is fairly confident that under the right circumstances she can tell if a book has been pressed.

In fact, as part of her service to declare books unrestored (i.e., in their original state), Susan has 12 reference points as to what original state/no restoration means. She offers Certificates Of Evaluation & Authenticity with her signature declaring that a book is in its original state. She cannot absolutely guarantee that a book has not been just pressed, but she is willing to at least provide her professional opinion. In the case of restoration detection, a similar certificate is offered and all of the areas of restoration are noted (location and method) and she will offer her opinion if it is amateur or professional work. Here's a look at her Certificates Of Evaluation & Authenticity from her website.

With respect to whether pressing is restoration, there was no pause to formulate her response. Susan said quite emphatically that pressing is definitely a form of restoration, but restoration nonetheless. The book is being handled, inserted under the pressure of a very hot dry mounting press and perhaps locally treated on specific areas using tacking irons (like dents and corners) with solutions or solvents. Waves, dents, corners, creases etc...are being removed to "recreate" the appearance of the book back to as close to it's original "perfect" state. Perhaps even more important, Susan is of the opinion that the practice of nondisclosure of pressing is unethical and constitutes nothing less than deception. Pressing goes against the grain of everything she and true conservators in all domains stand for.

In closing, there are no ulterior motives, actual conflicts of interest or an appearance of impropriety present here. For one thing, Susan has nothing to gain. In fact, taking this public stand is costing her money. It is obvious that Susan could be reaping a significant amount of money were she to continue a pressing service. Imagine if SHE were out there looking for those perfect candidates and pressing them and putting those said books on her website or E-bay without disclosure. A small fortune would be in the wings. "It's just not right" she says. Susan was provided a copy of this text of this article in order to review it for accuracy, with an e-mail from her confirming that she read it and approved its release. Susan is the first professional, expert restorer who has now publicly come forward and supported what many of us believe.

So in summary, pressing is 100%, no debate involved, restoration and the practice of pressing leads to deception and unethical conduct?

Is that it in a nutshell? (shrug)

Clearly this woman doesn't know what she's talking about. meh

I believe so.

Susan didn't stop solo pressing because of possible damage to comics. She became involved in NOD and took an ethical stance against solo pressing because she thought it encourage greed and nondisclosure in the hobby.

I remember it clearly, because I took the position that she might be causing more damage to the hobby by not offering solo pressing. If the professionals stop, then that leaves only the amateurs to take over, and that's what could damage comics.

I believe so.

Let me correct this before it goes any further. Susan stopped doing press-only jobs due to concerns over non-disclosure - NOT because "she doesn't believe that the benefit accrued outweighs the potential damage." Susan continues to press books as part of the overall restoration process.

so, the most highly regarded, most experience comic book restorian considers pressing restoration... hm

I believe so.

so, the most highly regarded, most experience comic book restorian considers pressing restoration... hm

That's not exactly breaking news. That declaration is years old, and she released it when she became involved in NOD.

I believe so.

Susan didn't stop solo pressing because of possible damage to comics. She became involved in NOD and took an ethical stance against solo pressing because she thought it encourage greed and nondisclosure in the hobby.

I remember it clearly, because I took the position that she might be causing more damage to the hobby by not offering solo pressing. If the professionals stop, then that leaves only the amateurs to take over, and that's what could damage comics.

She became involved with NOD because of her stance on disclosure. Not because she hates pressers. I hate when people have to bring the NOD into these debates.