• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And people wonder why folks get a little bit peeved...

1,324 posts in this topic

To me, this is the most head-scratching aspect of the debate...

Some feel the the LOC statement is not to be taken seriously and does not provide adequate detail.

Yet, the opposing view has absolutely no evidence or independent expert opinion to support their belief.

Domo comes to the table with **something** and the other side has nothing other than personal opinion. Who has more credibility?

(shrug)

Hey Zip,

Back when i was trying, foolishly, to participate in this train wreck, I took Domo's statement at face value. I assumed damage. What I thought was interesting would be to figure out what were really talking about in terms of damage. For example, if a typical press is 200 degrees for a couple of minutes, how does that correspond to a bunch of books being in the back seat of my car, heated up to 130-140 degrees for several hours?

After it became clear (to me) that Domo did not want to talk about the levels of damage or other sources of similar damage, but merely to proselytize (in my opinion) I left. I still think it would be fascinating to noodle over. It's possible that more damage is being done as a result of leaving comics in a hot car than pressing.

you know, i dunno if anyone's raised this point and i truly have no inclination to check before posting, but maybe we should all be up in arms about people leaving their books in hot cars!

and by "we" i of course mean Domo and his contemporaries and by "people" i of course mean dirtbags

For anyone to attempt to argue the ridiculous semantics about it is just par for the course for some of the pro-pressing crowd in here and is childish at best.

Can I offer some more ridiculous semantics.

Some on here are arguing that pressing is potentially harmful and destructive (maybe, maybe not).

Those same also want pressing classified as restoration.

Shouldn't it be one or the other? Either restorative or destructive? Or, in an attempt to further a point of view, has it become all of these things?

And if it is actually both, as well as a process only undertaken by evil people filled with greed, then shouldn't we all be alerting the authorities?

I mean anything that heinous must be illegal, right?

:hi:

We have a fiduciary duty to all comic books in our temporary custody.

We don't own them.

We are simply temporary custodians beholden to the historical, cultural artifact in our qualified possession and limited control.

Surety bonds should be issued at point of sale of every comic book wherever these transactions may occur, even in the neighborhood yardsale or in the darkest tenderloin districts of the Boards' FS forums.

Ignore these restrictions at risk of permanent exile into the demimonde you've chosen to haunt.

You control your destiny in this hobby. You do not control the comic books.

Dirtbags.

Ah, would that everyone was such an idealist, and believed in this manner...

But the reality is, once someone has purchased something, legal title transfers to them, and they own it, lock, stock, and two smoking barrels. At that point, they may do whatever it is they wish, up to and including utterly destroying it (and there is no hidden "anti-pressing" euphemism in there, I mean set fire to it and watch it burn, or some other sort of utter destruction.)

Regardless of the non-existence of a "philosophical title."

Some feel the the LOC statement is not to be taken seriously and does not provide adequate detail.

Yet, the opposing view has absolutely no evidence or independent expert opinion to support their belief.

Domo comes to the table with **something** and the other side has nothing other than personal opinion. Who has more credibility?

(shrug)

Hey Zip,

Back when i was trying, foolishly, to participate in this train wreck, I took Domo's statement at face value. I assumed damage. What I thought was interesting would be to figure out what were really talking about in terms of damage. For example, if a typical press is 200 degrees for a couple of minutes, how does that correspond to a bunch of books being in the back seat of my car, heated up to 130-140 degrees for several hours?

After it became clear (to me) that Domo did not want to talk about the levels of damage or other sources of similar damage, but merely to proselytize (in my opinion) I left. I still think it would be fascinating to noodle over. It's possible that more damage is being done as a result of leaving comics in a hot car than pressing.

you know, i dunno if anyone's raised this point and i truly have no inclination to check before posting, but maybe we should all be up in arms about people leaving their books in hot cars!

and by "we" i of course mean Domo and his contemporaries and by "people" i of course mean dirtbags

Don't you mean the mail man?

(shrug)

Hey Zip,

Don't you mean the mail man?

that mother:censored:er! :frustrated:

Domo comes to the table with **something** (shrug)

Obviously more than a few feel that is debatable.

If 10,000,000 people felt that, it wouldn't automatically make Domo wrong.

That, of course, is a favored tactic of this board: 17 people insist someone is wrong, so based on the numbers of opponents alone, it is therefore proven.

(tsk)

The pressers are the ones manipulating the book for a profit. They're the ones with the equipment and the techniques. They're the ones that should have the tests done to determine the amount of harm their causing to the books and then disclose this information.

I could care less about the profit aspect of this topic. I only care about the potential harm to the books.

As for the bolded part, that statement doesn't really bother me. Sure, why don't they do their own tests. Sounds like a good idea. Of course, would you really believe them?

But since you are so positive that what is happening to these books is destroying them, why don't you or people who share your certainty, do some of your own testing or help coordinate testing? I'm all for everybody pitching in to do what they can to shed light.

Where did I say it's destroying them? You don't want me putting any words in your mouth. Don't be putting any in mine.

And I trust what the Library of Congress has already made very clear in their response regarding this matter. I don't need to have any testing done myself to convince me of what I already know. However...since you said you care about the potential harm to the books...and admit that pressing could be causing damage to them but aren't certain...I should think you would be anxious to get involved and start coordinating some tests yourself to answer any doubt you might have on the matter.

That, of course, is a favored tactic of this board: 17 people insist someone is wrong, so based on the numbers of opponents alone, it is therefore proven.

(tsk)

Well then, I don't think that many say pressing is wrong so it must not be proven. 7 or 8 tops.

(shrug)

Hey Zip,

Trust me...I'm not very pleased about that prospect either. And if I ever walk by any of your cars on a hot summer day and see comic books laying in the seat...I'm going to pisss on your door handle.

(shrug)

Hey Zip,

Trust me...I'm not very pleased about that prospect either. And if I ever walk by any of your cars on a hot summer day and see comic books laying in the seat...I'm going to pisss on your door handle.

C'mon now. Surely you would try to save them....no?

(shrug)

Hey Zip,

you're the comic book version of people who wander parking lots looking for pets left in cars.

i knew it!

There are many things that cause damage/ shorten the life of your comic. Not using gloves, moving the book from one part of the country to another, heck moving it from one part of a house to another will cause a shortened life span. The book will become "acclimated" to certain environmental conditions and once moved poof the book will need to re-acclimate to another environment causing potential damage. Is the temperature in your house a constant? No? yep there goes a little bit years off the book. Replace your carpet or are you using particle wood in the room with your books well the chemical gases just damaged your books. How about humidity? Do you like to take a nice hot shower? Well that just caused a small change’s in the home humidity destabilizing the environment your books are stored in..

If you don't like pressing fine, but to use the damage agrument is lame.

(tsk)

Well then, I don't think that many say pressing is wrong so it must not be proven. 7 or 8 tops.

Cute. ;)

People here get far too personal and those pressers who have the integrity to hold their hands up and say what they're doing get more hassle than those pressers who say nothing and continue selling books without disclosure. How many sellers like that are there here? How many never even comment on the pressing discussions so that they can slip under the radar?

It's about time that more thought was put into, who are those pressers who are conspicuously silent?

So who presses without disclosure? Please post the names or PM me. I'd like to know.

Search the old threads from the last couple of years. You will be surprised how many there are just here on these boards. That doesn't even include pressing factories like the one Matt Nelson runs.

Mike

mattie!!!!!!!!!!! you're a factory owner!!!!!!!!!!! i always saw greatness in you.

You have been here for a year, have 950 some posts, and 800 of them were in this week old thread. lol

I'm trying to get to 1,000. :frustrated:

And I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you for some proof that 800 of my posts have been in this thread. I do not believe that to be an accurate count and everything in this thread apparently requires notarized documentation and the signatures of three federal judges.

Or merely clicking on your username in the left hand column, scrolling down a bit to where it says "view posts" and adding up your posts on the pages provided (I count 205 at this moment).

The truth is out there, one only has to look.... :cool:

There are many things that cause damage/ shorten the life of your comic. Not using gloves, moving the book from one part of the country to another, heck moving it from one part of a house to another will cause a shortened life span. The book will become "acclimated" to certain environmental conditions and once moved poof the book will need to re-acclimate to another environment causing potential damage. Is the temperature in your house a constant? No? yep there goes a little bit years off the book. Replace your carpet or are you using particle wood in the room with your books well the chemical gases just damaged your books. How about humidity? Do you like to take a nice hot shower? Well that just cause a a small change’s in the home humidity destabilizing the environment your books are stored in..

If you don't like pressing fine, but to use the damage agrument is lame.

As I said earlier then, since everything cause damage to them and there's no point in trying to minimize it, you might as well just store them outside on the sidewalk...or perhaps store them on a windowsill in direct sunlight so you can see and admire them better throughout the day.

Nah. He had over 800 before this thread started....plus, he was being sarcastic. ;)

DiceX being sarcastic?? How dare he introduce levity to this thread!!!!

Limey. :baiting: