• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raw Books

26 posts in this topic

i just check the going rate on ebay, because it's only REALLY worth what someone is willing to pay for it regardless of what some guide says.

Although that doesn't take into account the hundreds and thousands of transactions that take place at shows and through dedicated sites at twice the eBay going rate.

Whatever is paid on eBay does not reflect the market. It reflects what people are happy to pay given the inherant risk factor and the likelihood that they're being sold a 'VF+' that's actually a FN-.

Except of course that eBay is, by far, the biggest and widest market that exists, and ignoring it, or downplaying the prices paid as merely "reflective of the risk one takes in buying a VF+ book that may be a Fine-", especially with accurately grading sellers like Lange's Sports, Showcase New England, and even Donut, is fairly disingenuous.

I have amassed a collection of thousands of books that I never would have been able to purchase had I been buying them from retailers over the last 12 years. I'm certainly not alone. Even with rampant ovegrading (I average 60/40 on accurately/over graded), we've all still come out far, far ahead. If those items were "worth" what the retailers were asking, they would have sold for what the retailers were asking, on average, all this time.

Like it or not, eBay is part of the market, and a very gargantuan part of the market. You really need to question the motives of people who say "oh, don't pay attention to eBay, those aren't real prices." They may have something to sell you, at a higher price than you'd have to pay for the same exact item, in the same exact condition, on eBay.

Is eBay a crapshoot? Sure, no doubt. But is it also a large part of the market that MUST be considered when one considers what anything is "worth"...? Of course. eBay is just as important a part of the market...and maybe moreso...as any other part.

Except of course that eBay is, by far, the biggest and widest market that exists, and ignoring it, or downplaying the prices paid as merely "reflective of the risk one takes in buying a VF+ book that may be a Fine-", especially with accurately grading sellers like Lange's Sports, Showcase New England, and even Donut, is fairly disingenuous.

I have amassed a collection of thousands of books that I never would have been able to purchase had I been buying them from retailers over the last 12 years. I'm certainly not alone. Even with rampant ovegrading (I average 60/40 on accurately/over graded), we've all still come out far, far ahead. If those items were "worth" what the retailers were asking, they would have sold for what the retailers were asking, on average, all this time.

Like it or not, eBay is part of the market, and a very gargantuan part of the market. You really need to question the motives of people who say "oh, don't pay attention to eBay, those aren't real prices." They may have something to sell you, at a higher price than you'd have to pay for the same exact item, in the same exact condition, on eBay.

Is eBay a crapshoot? Sure, no doubt. But is it also a large part of the market that MUST be considered when one considers what anything is "worth"...? Of course. eBay is just as important a part of the market...and maybe moreso...as any other part.

I truly hope that's not directed at me.

I truly hope that's not directed at me.

It's directed at the people it applies to. If it doesn't apply to you, then no worries, right mate...?

Actually, plenty of worries...mate.

Your attachment of the accusation to my post clearly suggests to a watching audience that you think it does apply to me.

So, ignoring the leap you made that if somebody doesn't agree with your informed and wise assessment, they clearly have a not-so-ethical agenda...in itself, hubris on a grand scale...could you please back up your accusations with facts and/or evidence?

Thank you.

So...let me see if I have this straight...

You think a "may" statement like the one I made up there, that mentioned no one, and was directed at nobody, and which was in reply to dupont, is an "accusation"...?

So if I say SOMEONE MAY be a burglar, I'm actually saying you, Flaming Telepath, ARE a burglar?

Without even mentioning your name..? And you know not only what I actually state, but what I THINK as well?

Wow. And you're accusing ME of making leaps...

:screwy:

My statement stands.

Oh, and one more thing....

I never said, nor implied, the idea of "ethics" in my statement.

There is nothing unethical with trying to obtain a higher price for an item in one venue than one may be able to in another.

"Motives" and "ethical" are not the same thing.

Glad to have cleared that up.

Without even mentioning your name..?

You didn't mention his name, but you did quote from his post, to an extent that I thought, incorrectly, you were responding to F_T's post.

Okey doke. My statement was not an accusation of FT...and don't you think it would be a mite bit foolish of ME to accuse FT...in this forum...of something untoward?

Why do you think I left it generic in the first place? By accident?

Why look for trouble where there is none? There's plenty of real conflict on this board as it is.