• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about cover re-creations on sketch covers and artists.

15 posts in this topic

Ive never had a cover re-creation done for me. I was wondering if it is a taboo thing to ask an artist to do? Especially more modern covers? If you do have someone do one, should you have them somehow acknowledge the original artist? These 70th Ann blank covers really seem to have this in mind.

thanks for the input!

I don't think there is anything wrong with it other than I don't have any! lol

Most artists will acknowledge the original artist anyhow which I think is a good thing, but I don't think it's a big deal if they don't do it. A little disrespectful, maybe.

Many artists enjoy the opportunity to recreate famous covers. For the most part thier are two options

RECREATION/SWIPE- As close to the original cover image as possible

HOMAGE - An image created that has very similar poses and characters but is slightly different from the original. Artists will usually put "After...." or "Appologies to.....

I like getting recreations done by the original artists who drew that particular cover. Some examples of both of these can be seen in my CAF gallery.

I'd suggest you check out a place like deviant art.com for upcoming artists--lots of HIGH quality folks out there but you can get some recreations / homages for a mere fraction of the cost. Of course, that presupposes you aren't as interested in the artist as much as you are the art itself.

Here's a piece that I had done for me for only $20

spideyggdouble_web.jpg

Sorry if the pic's small--having some editing issues. Anyhow, inked pencils along with digitally colored files--not a bad deal IMO.

DarkAvengers1-WilliamsGoblin.jpg

Freddie seemed very happy to do this. After he finished, he called me back over to his table to add the "after Bolland" on there (it's in the black border). He felt it was important to give credit to the original creator. (thumbs u