• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To all who press books

94 posts in this topic

I think CGC should have an "amnesty" program where old labels can be send to them..no name, no question, no return address needed just so that they clean up the database. Somehow I believe, hundreds if not thousands of books on census will disappear if they do this. It benefits everyone

because the less books there are, the higher the value all around for all grades.

Even the people like Roboj will participate because ultimately it will raise the prices on his books...just my 2 cents.

I think CGC should have an "amnesty" program where old labels can be send to them..no name, no question, no return address needed just so that they clean up the database. Somehow I believe, hundreds if not thousands of books on census will disappear if they do this. It benefits everyone

because the less books there are, the higher the value all around for all grades.

Even the people like Roboj will participate because ultimately it will raise the prices on his books...just my 2 cents.

They don't need an amnesty program. If you send back the labels, CGC will take them out of the census. CGC doesn't know when a label was removed from a slab. All it knows is that the label was returned. They don't care who is returning it and they don't keep a log of who returns what.

They don't need an amnesty program. If you send back the labels, CGC will take them out of the census. CGC doesn't know when a label was removed from a slab. All it knows is that the label was returned. They don't care who is returning it and they don't keep a log of who returns what.

(thumbs u

I keep the labels with the books I've cracked out unless the book is going in for a regrade because it lends a little credibility to the book if it ever needs to be sold raw. This is especially true for more expensive books.

If the book, however, goes in for a regrade the labels have always been returned.

I think it's important to try to keep the census as accurate as possible.

There are lots of people who don't want to return the labels because they think it may help the book get a grade bump CGC doesn't know the previous grade. That's not true.

CGC only grades the book as it sits in front of the grader on that particular day or moment.

That's my experience.

If CGC would except scans of the labels in order to take a book off the census they may get better results.

You mean for books that are cracked out but not returned? Yeah, I suppose so, but I don't ever expect that to be an option.

I have a question for pressers: how much do you charge for a basic press? Not S&H, none of that, just the fee to take one book and press some minor defects out (spine roll, NCBCs, etc.)

I only ask as I am having a discussion with someone on another board who says that, using Son Of Satan #1 as an example, if you had a 9.6 ($30 book) and it could be pressed into a 9.8 (a $300 book) it wouldn't be financially viable to get the 9.6, press it, re-sub it, and then sell it. Heck, just an answer to that question would suffice, but whatever info you want to give is fine with me.

PM me if you like, I swear to anyone and everyone I am not trying to "gain information" to be used in some un-toward manner.

-slym

I have a question for pressers: how much do you charge for a basic press? Not S&H, none of that, just the fee to take one book and press some minor defects out (spine roll, NCBCs, etc.)

I only ask as I am having a discussion with someone on another board who says that, using Son Of Satan #1 as an example, if you had a 9.6 ($30 book) and it could be pressed into a 9.8 (a $300 book) it wouldn't be financially viable to get the 9.6, press it, re-sub it, and then sell it. Heck, just an answer to that question would suffice, but whatever info you want to give is fine with me.

PM me if you like, I swear to anyone and everyone I am not trying to "gain information" to be used in some un-toward manner.

-slym

It is extremely difficult to find a 9.6 that is a 9.8 candidate from a press job. I'm not saying it is impossible, but it is extremely difficult. 9.6s tend to be unimprovable because the single defect taking it down to 9.6 is usually a small spine stress (not pressable) or a fuzzy spine corner (also not pressable).

So if the other person's point is that you'd have to buy a lot of 9.6s, press them all, have them all regraded, and then make a profit based on the few books that regrade at 9.8, he's right. You're almost certain to lose money that way.

I disagree. The book is no longer slabbed and therefore has no business being listed in the census. The book that is represented in the census no longer exists.
:roflmao: Lock, stock and barrel . . . what a doofus :roflmao:

-slym

It is extremely difficult to find a 9.6 that is a 9.8 candidate from a press job. I'm not saying it is impossible, but it is extremely difficult. 9.6s tend to be unimprovable because the single defect taking it down to 9.6 is usually a small spine stress (not pressable) or a fuzzy spine corner (also not pressable).

So if the other person's point is that you'd have to buy a lot of 9.6s, press them all, have them all regraded, and then make a profit based on the few books that regrade at 9.8, he's right. You're almost certain to lose money that way.

Scott,

Wouldn't this logic apply to 9.4's and 9.2's as well (even more so)? It sounds supportable in theory, but I think the elevation to a 9.8 is really a random act of senselessness on CGC's part. :grin:

-d

-slym

Scott,

Wouldn't this logic apply to 9.4's and 9.2's as well (even more so)? It sounds supportable in theory, but I think the elevation to a 9.8 is really a random act of senselessness on CGC's part. :grin:

-d

One would thinks so, but no. A 9.4 might have a non-color breaking bend or crease keeping it out of 9.6/9.8 range. That would not be true of a 9.6.

-slym

Scott,

-d

One would thinks so, but no. A 9.4 might have a non-color breaking bend or crease keeping it out of 9.6/9.8 range. That would not be true of a 9.6.

Understood, but most 9.4's will have more than one NCB defect.

-slym

Scott,

-d

Understood, but most 9.4's will have more than one NCB defect.

Not all the time.