• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OFF-TOPIC: Are you a former RPG player?

47 posts in this topic

Maybe when BG 1 first came out in '98 but I played both BG 1 & 2 on my PC which is running XP. Ran smooth no problems at all. I'd imagine you could get them for free. I think they can be bought fairly cheap at Amazon.com. Try tracking them down somehow, you won't regret it! And don't forget the Expansions too. The Expansion for BG 1 has an add-on dungeon called "Durlag's Tower"--freaking unbelievable. My party was devastated many times over in that place, 6 or 7 levels or sheer terror! flamed.gif

Kewl... will track this down... two years of Diablo II (and the expansion pak) is pretty much enough smile.gif

I was a D&D geek for years, and my two best friends and I played it in a private Christian school...DURING BIBLE CLASS. We'd roll dice in our desks and pass notes (which I still have). Our Bible teacher had eyes that pointed in different directions so we never got caught.

amronfantasy.jpg

dice10.jpg

dice11.jpg

dice12.jpg

game.jpg

Never could get into RPG table games. A friend’s wife tried to get us into it, but we couldn’t take it seriously and every action turned into sex, fart or dork jokes. She quickly gave up and my new dice went into the box of bad ideas.

Don’t get me wrong, I am a dork. However, it has boundaries. When RPG people came into the shops (wearing capes and saying phrases like “I can only carry so much gold at any given time”) I felt God created them so us comic geeks would have someone to pick on.

Okay, now who remembers the made for tv movie starring Tom Hanks where he becomes obsessed with D&D and almost harms himself because he can no longer separate fantasy from reality?

The movie was called Mazes and Monsters based on a book written by Ronda Jaffe(?) i think.

I grew up playing RPG's as a kid. Started out with the original D&D, and then incorporated each new game as it was released. D&D will always be the most fondly rememebered because it started the whole thing.

Someone mentioned Traveller, boy that was a complex system. I don't think my friends and I ever really played the game, we just enjoyed making characters.

By far the best RPG that I have ever come across in the history of RPG's has to be Rolemaster. It looked complex upon first reading it, but provided the most free-flowing realistic gameplay.

We also use to play Warhammer, Paranoia, Gurps, Palladium, Champions, Marvel Superheroes, Boot Hill, Call of Cthulu, Gamma Raiders(?)and more I can't think of right now.

I still have most of the stuff, if anyone wants to see some of the classic stuff. I can scan it.

Our H.S. D&D group would make wooden swords and shields and play fight during game days. It was all fun and games until someone put an eye out. Well, at least that's what we were told.

I still play games weekly with a group that numbers as many as 10. There's a whole market of what's called Euro games. Many of them are cooperatively competitive. CHeck out boardgamegeek.com if you're interested.

I've got about 8 nintendo's too. I'm looking for the Kid Icarus game and Metroid.

Some of the older talisman and gamemaster games are worth some money, check out ebay.

OFF-TOPIC: Are you a former RPG player?

Oh man, RPGs are not something that I ever think about anymore, but I was hugely into them from roughly the 5th grade through the 9th grade. Started off with D&D, of course, but at various points played Star Frontiers, Gamma World, some of those Steve Jackson Games (G.E.D., Vampyre, It Came From Pleasantville, etc.), James Bond 007 and some cool Vietnam game I ordered from the back of Soldier of Fortune magazine shocked.gif. Also, my jr. high school history teacher was a big war games buff and ran a little group to play games like "Panzer Blitz" after school, so I played a little of those as well.

I tried playing some of the RPG-type games for the PC over the years, but my gripe is that they make these games unnecessarily complex. Having grown up with games like Asteroids, Space Invaders, Pole Position, etc. (i.e., games where you didn't need to read a huge instruction manual to figure out how to play them), I really bristle at having to spend hours and hours just trying to figure out how to play a game. mad.gif Hence, I've stuck with old-school comic books for entertainment even as the rest of the world has gone videogame crazy.

Gene

Our H.S. D&D group would make wooden swords and shields and play fight during game days. It was all fun and games until someone put an eye out. Well, at least that's what we were told.

I still play games weekly with a group that numbers as many as 10. There's a whole market of what's called Euro games. Many of them are cooperatively competitive. CHeck out boardgamegeek.com if you're interested.

I've got about 8 nintendo's too. I'm looking for the Kid Icarus game and Metroid.

Some of the older talisman and gamemaster games are worth some money, check out ebay.

boardgeek.com..good site!

Yeah, the Talisman game and supplements is hugely popular and is out-of-print that's why it goes for huge bucks on E-Bay..(Not ASM No. 1 huge bucks, but huge bucks for a board game!). Great game!