• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could change one thing about CGC's grading or policies....

124 posts in this topic

As far as I know it's still an open question as to whether or not it's caused by a fungus or whether it's iron oxide from the paper itself. Kenny could proably give a better answer. But, as long as there's a possible of it being a fungus that could spread to other books, I don't want it in collection. :P

And I tend to agree with your original point, though there are exceptions - micro-trimming for example. If you were specifically alluding to pressing, well I don't consider that a defect. :)

I wasn't alluding to pressing or trimming. I didn't even think about trimming or I would have listed as an exception along with CT.

I wonder if foxing can spread to other parts of the book while stored in a Mylar or a slab?

Here is an interesting article on foxing from the AIC:

http://cool.conservation-us.org/don/dt/dt1434.html

Fix the slab. But regrading/reholdering may be a built in part of long term CGC business model so it may be fixed as is.

I highly doubt anyone at CGC would intentionally keep the slab the way it is if they knew of a superior design. The problem with this is that nobody's been able to come up with a design that's significantly more resistant to handling damage. Even if they did, we'd still be complaining about this, as you'll never design a slab that absolutely prevents all shipping and handling damage to the book, so we'd still be seeing SCS books in an improved container.

As far as I know it's still an open question as to whether or not it's caused by a fungus or whether it's iron oxide from the paper itself. Kenny could proably give a better answer. But, as long as there's a possible of it being a fungus that could spread to other books, I don't want it in collection. :P

And I tend to agree with your original point, though there are exceptions - micro-trimming for example. If you were specifically alluding to pressing, well I don't consider that a defect. :)

I wasn't alluding to pressing or trimming. I didn't even think about trimming or I would have listed as an exception along with CT.

I wonder if foxing can spread to other parts of the book while stored in a Mylar or a slab?

According to information in this thread, the main culprit is considered to be fungi.

Unless humidity and temperature are controlled to produce an environment not conducive to fungal growth, it can spread whether in a mylar, polybag or slab. Keep ‘em dry and cool, folks!

I'd like to see a "Conservation Label" for books with very, minor structural work: Tape Removal, Reinforced Cover, tear seals, ect.

Would not include pieces added, color touch, ect.

If there were just one thing, it would have to be no CGC 10 grades with non-white pages... that one just seems like an oxymoron to me :shrug:

That really doesn't bother me. I don't think CGC gives much conscious thought to page quality. Especially after cracking a few out of their holders.

Have graders' notes on the Internet site. It's as important as GPA data and any other research necessary for informed purchasing.

Yeah this would be very nice to have easy access to.

Kind of like CARFAX for comic books.

I'd like to see a "Conservation Label" for books with very, minor structural work: Tape Removal, Reinforced Cover, tear seals, ect.

I would agree with most everything in this thread.

But a conso label would sure help to seperate what was done to a book, and why. Or at least make it easier for people who might want to have a book conserved for the longevity of the book but fear the purple label.

I would argue that you can add pieces to the spine and still be considered conso, as long as it serves a structural purpose and is not just added to make it look better, like an outer edge, or corner.

I would agree with most everything in this thread.

But a conso label would sure help to seperate what was done to a book, and why. Or at least make it easier for people who might want to have a book conserved for the longevity of the book but fear the purple label.

I would argue that you can add pieces to the spine and still be considered conso, as long as it serves a structural purpose and is not just added to make it look better, like an outer edge, or corner.

Purpose is often a hard thing to prove.

I would get rid of the PLOD. One label color with notes on cover for resto done.

I would get rid of the PLOD. One label color with notes on cover for resto done.

Well yes and no. If I see a book in a purple label with Slight P, 2 " spine split sealed, centerfold reinforced I know the person was trying to conserve the book more then make it look pretty. Even if it was because they could not afford more work done. The work that was done, was conservative in nature and should be more desirerable then a similarly graded Ext. book.

The whole conso/resto issue is not easily solved though, especially since CGC is stuck with the Purple label.

I guess I would just like to see a better understanding of why a book was worked on,or not worked on and rewarded for it though higher realized sales.

Here is an interesting article on foxing from the AIC:

http://cool.conservation-us.org/don/dt/dt1434.html

Thanks.

Well yes and no. If I see a book in a purple label with Slight P, 2 " spine split sealed, centerfold reinforced I know the person was trying to conserve the book more then make it look pretty. Even if it was because they could not afford more work done. The work that was done, was conservative in nature and should be more desirerable then a similarly graded Ext. book.

The whole conso/resto issue is not easily solved though, especially since CGC is stuck with the Purple label.

I guess I would just like to see a better understanding of why a book was worked on,or not worked on and rewarded for it though higher realized sales.

Which might be a good reason for them to abandon it. It kills me when I see a super HG book with a teeny tiny amount of CT or something else get hammered because of the PLOD. I think the whole restoration issue (ie how do we view it? Distain/Acceptance) needs to be addressed since it affects many of the older books and the ability for future generations to appreciate them.

Which might be a good reason for them to abandon it. It kills me when I see a super HG book with a teeny tiny amount of CT or something else get hammered because of the PLOD. I think the whole restoration issue (ie how do we view it? Distain/Acceptance) needs to be addressed since it affects many of the older books and the ability for future generations to appreciate them.

(thumbs u