• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could change one thing about CGC's grading or policies....

124 posts in this topic

Purpose is often a hard thing to prove.

I would get rid of the PLOD. One label color with notes on cover for resto done.

Well yes and no. If I see a book in a purple label with Slight P, 2 " spine split sealed, centerfold reinforced I know the person was trying to conserve the book more then make it look pretty. Even if it was because they could not afford more work done. The work that was done, was conservative in nature and should be more desirerable then a similarly graded Ext. book.

The whole conso/resto issue is not easily solved though, especially since CGC is stuck with the Purple label.

I guess I would just like to see a better understanding of why a book was worked on,or not worked on and rewarded for it though higher realized sales.

Which might be a good reason for them to abandon it. It kills me when I see a super HG book with a teeny tiny amount of CT or something else get hammered because of the PLOD. I think the whole restoration issue (ie how do we view it? Distain/Acceptance) needs to be addressed since it affects many of the older books and the ability for future generations to appreciate them.

(thumbs u

I would like to see the PLOD done away with as well. Having a different color label is too much of stigma. A simple ® or (Q) after the numerical grade should be sufficient, followed by detailed notes on what was done. I also liked the idea of having a separate numerical scale for how much restoration was done.

I would like to see the PLOD done away with as well. Having a different color label is too much of stigma. A simple ® or (Q) after the numerical grade should be sufficient, followed by detailed notes on what was done. I also liked the idea of having a separate numerical scale for how much restoration was done.

Too bad CGC already tried that route and everyone went nuts. Too bad, as it was a good idea and I really liked the prototype lables that Steve brought to one of the early B'more dinners.

Not be behind by 1-1/2 months on Value and Economy Tier submissions! :pullhair:

I have books from July 20th that have not shipped yet, ugg :(

There is only one word for that - ridiculous. :sumo:

:gossip: I guess they were too busy grading those 13,000 books from Showcase New England.

1. Be less harsh on light stains

2. Be way more harsh on color breaking creases. Should not be any on a 9.4 or better book

Otherwise they are doing a stellar job

I hate color breaking creases almost as much as I hate tape. They remind me of tan lines.

1. Be less harsh on light stains

2. Be way more harsh on color breaking creases. Should not be any on a 9.4 or better book

Otherwise they are doing a stellar job

I hate color breaking creases almost as much as I hate tape. They remind me of tan lines.

I think color-breaking creases (even only 1/4") should not be on any books VF/NM (9.0) or higher...Any books I have (no matter how nice), are usually graded no higher than 8.5 with this defect. Very light and very small spider-web type surface only lines are a different matter, since i have a nice Atlas book with these that I consider a 9.0.

I also would like to see a more accurate census. This is almost impossible because of so many instances of books being re-subbed without sending the label in.

I also would love to see actual scans of all GA submissions 5.0 or better. Scan each submission so we can actually see the higher graded GA for reference reasons.

Yeah...I know this is fantasy....I'm just stating what I want to see. At least with available scans we could see if the same book was resubmitted several times and counted on the census as such.

If it can be determined that a book is a resub, give it the exact grade that it received the first time (or lower), no matter what "improvements" have been made on the book since then.

This would insure that no one ever sent a label back in and would really f up the census even more than the amount of "anonymous" resubs already does. Plus it would insure that tons of Pedigree designations are lost to the ages.

Not really, particularly for books with distinctive markings such as MHs and WMs. When CGC saw one of those books being resubbed, they'd be able to do a quick check against their records and scan database and if they saw they'd graded it previously, then no higher grade could be given.

Plus, they should get software that is able to do a comparison of any newly submitted books against books in their database, and if they strongly believe it's the same book, then again no higher grade could be given.

The point that you're missing is that this would largely kill off the crack-and-resub game, rather than just cause people to try to hide their resubs better.

Purpose is often a hard thing to prove.

I would get rid of the PLOD. One label color with notes on cover for resto done.

Well yes and no. If I see a book in a purple label with Slight P, 2 " spine split sealed, centerfold reinforced I know the person was trying to conserve the book more then make it look pretty. Even if it was because they could not afford more work done. The work that was done, was conservative in nature and should be more desirerable then a similarly graded Ext. book.

The whole conso/resto issue is not easily solved though, especially since CGC is stuck with the Purple label.

I guess I would just like to see a better understanding of why a book was worked on,or not worked on and rewarded for it though higher realized sales.

Which might be a good reason for them to abandon it. It kills me when I see a super HG book with a teeny tiny amount of CT or something else get hammered because of the PLOD. I think the whole restoration issue (ie how do we view it? Distain/Acceptance) needs to be addressed since it affects many of the older books and the ability for future generations to appreciate them.

Whether CGC intended for this result or not, I like how the purple label has stigmatized restored books.

Whether CGC intended for this result or not, I like how the purple label has stigmatized restored books.

It's created a disproportional relationship between what the book actually is and the way it's valued. People are catching on but really, should a book that is 99% identical to a non restored once fetch 1/4 to 1/2 of the non restored books value?

That to me is ridiculous.

I'll take it all day long since right now I can get my big books for a fraction of what they will be worth one day, but it is not right in my opinion.

It's created a disproportional relationship between what the book actually is and the way it's valued. People are catching on but really, should a book that is 99% identical to a non restored once fetch 1/4 to 1/2 of the non restored books value?

I'll take it all day long since right now I can get my big books for a fraction of what they will be worth one day, but it is not right in my opinion.

I don't understand why there's even an issue.

The collectors who like restored books should be delighted, because they're able to pick up restored books at a fraction of what they claim to be their real value.

The collectors who hate restored books should also be delighted, because restored books are being properly stigmatized and hopefully deterring people from restoring books for purely cosmetic purposes.

Seems like a win-win situation to me. (shrug)

If it can be determined that a book is a resub, give it the exact grade that it received the first time (or lower), no matter what "improvements" have been made on the book since then.

This would insure that no one ever sent a label back in and would really f up the census even more than the amount of "anonymous" resubs already does. Plus it would insure that tons of Pedigree designations are lost to the ages.

Not really, particularly for books with distinctive markings such as MHs and WMs. When CGC saw one of those books being resubbed, they'd be able to do a quick check against their records and scan database and if they saw they'd graded it previously, then no higher grade could be given.

Plus, they should get software that is able to do a comparison of any newly submitted books against books in their database, and if they strongly believe it's the same book, then again no higher grade could be given.

The point that you're missing is that this would largely kill off the crack-and-resub game, rather than just cause people to try to hide their resubs better.

I might be wrong on this...but I do not think that they scan all their submissions (yes I'm specifically speaking GA) ..if they did...that would be great as this information is then available to at least someone...and we can actually know (especially over time)...what is out there to a certain degree..

I love that Heritage has their historical records available...I would like to see others provide this info as well....

If CGC doesn't scan everything..that's OK with me (why should they scan SA or newer), but GA stuff would be helpful and be a great service that even Gerber could not have envisioned.....

I don't understand why there's even an issue.

The collectors who like restored books should be delighted, because they're able to pick up restored books at a fraction of what they claim to be their real value.

The collectors who hate restored books should also be delighted, because restored books are being properly stigmatized and hopefully deterring people from restoring books for purely cosmetic purposes.

Seems like a win-win situation to me. (shrug)

From a collector's perspective it's a win. Terrific books at great prices. From the book's perspective it's a bit illogical as the book is nearly identical.

Like I said, I'll buy for as long as I can in that manner but I don't think it'll last.