• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Serious Question - how do you afford these books?

131 posts in this topic

It's all about priorities. Mine happens to be GA comics and my collection.

My wife and I have no kids, work in comics, have little debt, and I have a collection that goes back two decades that I have been slowly trading/selling up.

Plus I don't have the latest video games, new cell phone, or a new car. I buy things at JCP or Target or CostCo not Macy's or Nordstrom.

I get my new comics and other review swag free or close to it. We watch movies on NetFlix and eat out at places like Burgerville less than once a week.

Of course I also don't have a 401k or SEP IRA. (shrug)

Your last statement is alarming.

How does anybody afford to buy the things that most other people can't? It's not really a mystery. They just have more money.

Of course there are some exceptions. But they are called exceptions for a reason. Money, you either have it or you don't. And some folks have a lot of it. Someday I hope to have a lot of it as well.

It's all about priorities. Mine happens to be GA comics and my collection.

My wife and I have no kids, work in comics, have little debt, and I have a collection that goes back two decades that I have been slowly trading/selling up.

Plus I don't have the latest video games, new cell phone, or a new car. I buy things at JCP or Target or CostCo not Macy's or Nordstrom.

I get my new comics and other review swag free or close to it. We watch movies on NetFlix and eat out at places like Burgerville less than once a week.

Of course I also don't have a 401k or SEP IRA. (shrug)

Why? I think the fact that people rely on other people for their future is more alarming.

Of course I also don't have a 401k or SEP IRA.

I diligently put into my 401K from 1998 - 2004 like a good little robot. When I left my old job in 2004 I left it alone, assuming it would grow. I saw some ups, lots of downs. (I have a pension plan at my current job I am vested in and required to pay into, so I couldn't afford that AND a 401K). I BELIEVED in the power of compounding. I believed in the S&P 500, DJIA and the whatever 2000. Those fine insitutions (groups of companies) have been giving us nice 7-9% annual returns since the Depression, the thinking went, I need only sock more money into that 401K and I'll be ready to retire in 30 years.

I don't even want to ponder the math, but I have my doubts I have even broken even and given inflation, that means I have lost money. Yes, I had a nice little tax break, which was good during those high income single guy years. We'll see what my marginal rate is when I'm 60 and all those baby boomers are in nursing homes living long lives into their 80's and 90's due to improved medical care.

To be honest, I would have done better spending $15K a year on really good comics. Or sticking the money in my mattress. Or, sadly, buying my wife all the gold jewelry she wanted (while avoiding fancy names that add to the price).

I'm not advocating that, but a 401K is hardly a sure thing. I'm beginning to wonder if it's even a good bet over the course of 30 years given that I have already been killed in the first 10 years of my efforts to compound earnings. you lose those 10 years and you may never catch up.

I sell booze and cigarettes to 14 and 15 year-olds in private schools, at a 400% mark up.