• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Serious Question - how do you afford these books?

131 posts in this topic

I get all my "luxuries" for free or close to it. I am queen of free stuff. When it comes to comps or winning stuff or figuring out a way to get products and services for free..I'm the one who gets the freebies.

I eat at expensive restaurants and stay at hotels all free. I do new product testing and get everything from clothes, home appliances, food, cosmetics FREE.

I even won a Marvel comic book writing story once for a free load of Xbox games.

That leaves a little money to spend on comics and cons sometimes. I sold 99% of my keys years ago. It would be nice to have them again but seriously I trade and buy cheap. These days i would much rather spend the money to go to conventions just to see my internet pals than to buy one big expensive book.

My husband and I have dozens of longboxes full of comics and bookshelves full of comic related books. Unless it is just something I have to have I don't worry about it. If it is meant to be it will come around to me.

If I run into a good deal at a live auction or something I definitely wouldn't pass it up.

I think the last SD con I went to I came home with 27 free Tshirts, the entire comics Now catalog of books, an entire short box of Anime books, 2 sketch books full of sketches, half box of autographed books and I had to go to a thrift store and buy several new suitcases for my husband and I to pack all the other freebies we got DVDs toys etc.

After I got done flipping the exclusives we purchased for the cash to pay for the trip we came out on top of things. Oh and I NEVER wait in line for tickets or drawings to get a chance at the exclusives.

My husband will be celebrating his 36th year with his company next month but we are by no means rich..

Compared to 10 years ago, today incomes are flat or lower, unemployment is higher, the stock market is lower, housing prices are flat or lower...

Yet comic books are much, much higher on average. How can do you guys afford these books? And this is a serious question.

Because many books are now in the 5 digits which is like a car which one only purchases every few years at the most, and because some books are now entering 6 digits which is like a home which some people only purchase a few times in their lifetimes if that.

Much higher than what? And how many books are in the 5 digits? Generic statements like this drive me nuts. Sure, the keys and some ultra high grade are way up, but with the exception of 5% of the hobby, comics are as affordable as they were 10 years ago. Especially if you are ok with buying restored or mid-grades. Check your 2000 guide and do the math. And don't forget to factor in inflation.

.... fell into the claws of a COUGAR... now she's my SUGAR MAMA! :devil:

Train me in your sensible ways, my master...mold me for I am your GRASSHOPPA! (worship) (worship) (worship)

Oh I could give you some hints...

Are you a hottie or at least a hottie through cataract vision? Are you incredible in bed or at least good enough to last until her ambien kicks in? That would be the first two steps..

Then you have to get over your gag reflexes depending on how old of a gal you plan on nabbing. And you can't be repelled by the smell of absorbine junior, ben gay, or baby powder.

practice saying

"Mature women drive me crazy can I rub the ben gay on your calves it makes me hot"

"Sure baby I'll call you Miss Daisy if you want, let me drive ya Miss Daisy let me Drive ya"

How does anybody afford to buy the things that most other people can't? It's not really a mystery. They just have more money.

Of course there are some exceptions. But they are called exceptions for a reason. Money, you either have it or you don't. And some folks have a lot of it. Someday I hope to have a lot of it as well.

Well said! (thumbs u

Hockey&comicsguy, you always sum it up so well for me. But with your name....how could you be wrong?

I am fortunate and luckily I understood what is a want and a need early in my life. I know what I am worth and what I can spend. Furthermore, I despise using credit or credit cards for all things that one can use cash for instead. Therefore, monetarily, I keep urges and than later surprises in check. (My wife is the only variable in this...but I plan for it!)

I get all my "luxuries" for free or close to it. I am queen of free stuff. When it comes to comps or winning stuff or figuring out a way to get products and services for free..I'm the one who gets the freebies.

I eat at expensive restaurants and stay at hotels all free. I do new product testing and get everything from clothes, home appliances, food, cosmetics FREE.

I even won a Marvel comic book writing story once for a free load of Xbox games.

That leaves a little money to spend on comics and cons sometimes. I sold 99% of my keys years ago. It would be nice to have them again but seriously I trade and buy cheap. These days i would much rather spend the money to go to conventions just to see my internet pals than to buy one big expensive book.

My husband and I have dozens of longboxes full of comics and bookshelves full of comic related books. Unless it is just something I have to have I don't worry about it. If it is meant to be it will come around to me.

If I run into a good deal at a live auction or something I definitely wouldn't pass it up.

I think the last SD con I went to I came home with 27 free Tshirts, the entire comics Now catalog of books, an entire short box of Anime books, 2 sketch books full of sketches, half box of autographed books and I had to go to a thrift store and buy several new suitcases for my husband and I to pack all the other freebies we got DVDs toys etc.

After I got done flipping the exclusives we purchased for the cash to pay for the trip we came out on top of things. Oh and I NEVER wait in line for tickets or drawings to get a chance at the exclusives.

My husband will be celebrating his 36th year with his company next month but we are by no means rich..

Beer....

Then you have to get over your gag reflexes depending on how old of a gal you plan on nabbing. And you can't be repelled by the smell of absorbine junior, ben gay, or baby powder.

practice saying

"Mature women drive me crazy can I rub the ben gay on your calves it makes me hot"

"Sure baby I'll call you Miss Daisy if you want, let me drive ya Miss Daisy let me Drive ya"

It sounded a LOT better when Krypto described it. :eek:

Compared to 10 years ago, today incomes are flat or lower, unemployment is higher, the stock market is lower, housing prices are flat or lower...

Yet comic books are much, much higher on average. How can do you guys afford these books? And this is a serious question.

Because many books are now in the 5 digits which is like a car which one only purchases every few years at the most, and because some books are now entering 6 digits which is like a home which some people only purchase a few times in their lifetimes if that.

I still think it's only fair that someone named Hedge Collector answer the question first.

:baiting:

Beer....

+ 1 .........I was just getting ready to say, The reason some buy 5 figure books while I cannot , probably has something to do with the fact that while they were working their hindparts off to clear Grad School, I was shooting pool at the corner bar drinking lots of.....................................beer. (shrug) GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Train me in your sensible ways, my master...mold me for I am your GRASSHOPPA! (worship) (worship) (worship)

Are you a hottie or at least a hottie through cataract vision? Are you incredible in bed or at least good enough to last until her ambien kicks in? That would be the first two steps..

practice saying

You've ruined cougars for me. You owe me an apology.

Actually, you really owe all Greater Toronto Area Cougars an apology.

I still think it's only fair that someone named Hedge Collector answer the question first.

:baiting:

I've yet to buy any keys that I've always wanted so I can say that I haven't spent the big money yet!

I did you a favor hon truly. I tried dating a much older man once. *shivers* anyone want to hear a creeptacular /funny story about dating an older man can PM me lol. At the time he was about 4X my age.

Sugar daddy and cougar are two different things.

Sugar daddies need money to attract young things.

Cougars don't.

End of story.

I did you a favor hon truly. I tried dating a much older man once. *shivers* anyone want to hear a creeptacular /funny story about dating an older man can PM me lol. At the time he was about 4X my age.

Sugar daddy and cougar are two different things.

Sugar daddies need money to attract young things.

Cougars don't.

End of story.

Take it from someone who knows....watch the cougars, they'll break your heart. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I am too lazy to read through the rest of the posts, but here are my reasons for slowly moving up the ladder to spending more on books:

1) Higher income = more disposable cash to play with. I was still in school 10 years ago so I did not have much to spend on bigger books.

2) Becoming a dealer/flipper on the side. One of my MBA classmates had a huge collection as well so we decided to start buying and selling books on the side. It worked great, and I still do that to a lesser degree now. Buying collections allows you to keep the keys you want and you can usually sell the rest of the books for a profit on the entire purchase.

3) Realizing that it is just as profitable and probably easier to resell bigger books than a ton of $10 - $50 books.

practice saying

:sick:

On SO many levels.