• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

comiclink bidding

3 posts in this topic

Recently a forum member was selling a Black Terror 10 on here for about $800 and then offered something like 10% off ... supposedly an 8.0 book .... now it's on ebay ... but early bidding on Comiclink is 800 ... the difference of a slab? Interesting that there's this much demand for a book that's sitting on Ebay right now in similar condition unloved and unwanted ... it's not my book and I don't know the seller ... I'm just saying that same/similar book is available for less? Is it the power of the slab or an auction or both that runs some books up in price.

I sort of prefer to buy outright ... auctions have a way of becoming frenzied.

Anyway ... all the Black Terrors on Comiclink are going strong ... also the Human Torch 12 ... strong in early bidding.

I'm of the mind that early bids just don't matter in an auction until the end...but I'm the type that watches the auction go down and sort of hate this waiting period ... it's sort of smoke and mirrors ...

The only logic I see in early bidding are these four points?

1. Vicarious thrill bids.

2. Scaring off other potential buyers to avoid a bidding war?

3. A bidder will not be available at auction time and must pony up their best bid early.

4. A bidder puts in their best bid early and walks away to avoid the potential of getting in a bidding war and pridefully overbidding ... early bidding creates self discipline they otherwise may lack.

In any event the real bidding seems to always happen coming down the home stretch. So any bid I put now is more or less a potential waste of time.

It is interesting to see the strong early bids on some books ... the Green Lanterns aren't all high flying yet ... but I'm watching them.

Just some loose thoughts tonight. Anybody notice any other comiclink books showing strong early interest...

That was my book and I was surprised it didn't sell on here.

I think part of it has to do with buyer confidence that the slab gives and a raw book doesn't.

Glad to see the book is doing well. I may need to slab mine now.

lol

edit: The book on Comiclink has white pages so that will certainly cause people to bid stronger in this market where buyers have decided that they will pay a premium for such things.

Recently a forum member was selling a Black Terror 10 on here for about $800 and then offered something like 10% off ... supposedly an 8.0 book .... now it's on ebay ... but early bidding on Comiclink is 800 ... the difference of a slab? Interesting that there's this much demand for a book that's sitting on Ebay right now in similar condition unloved and unwanted ... it's not my book and I don't know the seller ... I'm just saying that same/similar book is available for less? Is it the power of the slab or an auction or both that runs some books up in price.

I sort of prefer to buy outright ... auctions have a way of becoming frenzied.

Anyway ... all the Black Terrors on Comiclink are going strong ... also the Human Torch 12 ... strong in early bidding.

I'm of the mind that early bids just don't matter in an auction until the end...but I'm the type that watches the auction go down and sort of hate this waiting period ... it's sort of smoke and mirrors ...

The only logic I see in early bidding are these four points?

1. Vicarious thrill bids.

2. Scaring off other potential buyers to avoid a bidding war?

3. A bidder will not be available at auction time and must pony up their best bid early.

4. A bidder puts in their best bid early and walks away to avoid the potential of getting in a bidding war and pridefully overbidding ... early bidding creates self discipline they otherwise may lack.

In any event the real bidding seems to always happen coming down the home stretch. So any bid I put now is more or less a potential waste of time.

It is interesting to see the strong early bids on some books ... the Green Lanterns aren't all high flying yet ... but I'm watching them.

Just some loose thoughts tonight. Anybody notice any other comiclink books showing strong early interest...

I do 3 and 4, sometimes I can`t be around at end of auction or I set a price that will be profitable as bidding can get out of control.