• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proof Colletta was the WORST Fantastic Four inker

17 posts in this topic

that swas pretty stiff.

BUT - - the inking on FF was UNIFORMLY bad from after At=yers left and Sinnott arrived! Go cback and look and youll be shocked as I was that we enjoyed tese book ssomuch at the time condisering how awful they looked.

i was reading the essential tomb of dracula trade recently and colleta's inking was making me sick there too! yeesh!

Just before I read your post I was thinking...::::{{{{I recall Colleta doing some sweet inking on Colans pencils}}}}:::::....guess I'll have to go do a double-take... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

what issue number was that page from?

I believe that was 36 with the first appearance of Medusa and the evil FF. wink.gif

Nope.

Ahhh yes....

The Torch goes after her again in 44 and they met Dragon Man and Gorgan. smile.gif

Just before I read your post I was thinking...::::{{{{I recall Colleta doing some sweet inking on Colans pencils}}}}:::::....guess I'll have to go do a double-take... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You go do that and you'll see he's just as bad there.

Colletta inking ANYBODY was a nightmare!

Vinny used to arbitrarily erase Kirby's backgrounds & just ink the foreground figs - particularly on Thor. I guess that's why he could meet the deadlines, though, & why Stan kept using him.

Vinny had such a fine line when he inked - I never really liked the combo with Kirby's bold style.

Marvel somehow kept the Inker for a reason or two - maybe the meeting deadlines was the top reason. Makes the most sense to me. Inker is critical towards the final product, and those here on this Forum are going to be the exceptions in ranking/evaluating Inkers. I think most comic book fans don't give this topic much thought. Just my comments on this. hi.gif

you don't think that most comic fans notice that there's a noticeable difference in the quality of when Colletta inked Kirby? I think so, and I think that most fans actually don't like Colletta's God awful smudgy lines. As for erasing out backgrounds... it's definitely noticeable on Thor books...

As for this being a forum exclusive topic... not really... most s/a fans in general (note the articles in mags like CBM) aren't that high on Colletta.

All I can say is that when I was a boy reading comics, this was largely unnoticed. I do not recall this topic then, and only occasionally these days. Different experiences for different people in different worlds. hi.gif