• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will there be a notable OO collection discovery in 2010?

Will there be a notable OO collection discovery in 2010?  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Will there be a notable OO collection discovery in 2010?

27 posts in this topic

By notable OO collection, it would have to be large (> thousand), contain HG keys (at least BA/SA), and many census topping issues.

I guess the last significant OO collection found would have to be the Mound City books where there were several thousand, contained AF15, Avengers1, X-Men1, and had many census topping issues (especially the war books).

Will there be one in 2010? We can look back at the end of next year and see if we were right...

The answer is undoubtedly yes, but the odds are that we won't hear about it. Every year several extremely nice collections pop into the hands of a smaller dealer, get gobbled and split up by the bigger dealers--sometimes with mental, verbal, or physical pushing-and-shoving or politicking around the longboxes--slabbed, and spread to the rest of us. An entire notable collection getting sold by a single major national dealer who presents the copy as a collection or pedigree is a fairly rare occurrence.

Someone's collection gets auctioned off by their greedy relatives who inherited them and don't value them as the dearly departed did.

Why do some people insist on characterizing surviving relatives of someone who has died as greedy, uncaring people? Chuck did this in his description of obtaining the Church collection, and it's simply rude, insensitive, ignorant, and borderline stupid...and most often entirely inaccurate. ???

Someone's collection gets auctioned off by their greedy relatives who inherited them and don't value them as the dearly departed did.

Why do some people insist on characterizing surviving relatives of someone who has died as greedy, uncaring people? Chuck did this in his description of obtaining the Church collection, and it's simply rude, insensitive, ignorant, and borderline stupid...and most often entirely inaccurate. ???

Exactly. If I were to kick the bucket I'd hope they would auction them off and not give them away.

Not Chuck's fault, but I'm sure that Edgar Church's daughter, if I remember right, just wanted to get rid of all those dang comics and was going to throw them away in the dumpster. Maybe not a greedy relative, but someone who did not, in most cases value the collection that had been amassed as did the previous owner.

The answer is undoubtedly yes, but the odds are that we won't hear about it. Every year several extremely nice collections pop into the hands of a smaller dealer, get gobbled and split up by the bigger dealers--sometimes with mental, verbal, or physical pushing-and-shoving or politicking around the longboxes--slabbed, and spread to the rest of us. An entire notable collection getting sold by a single major national dealer who presents the copy as a collection or pedigree is a fairly rare occurrence.

I agree... except sometimes it gets discovered by a store, and no major dealer ever hears about it. In fact, it may have just happened. lol

Not Chuck's fault, but I'm sure that Edgar Church's daughter, if I remember right, just wanted to get rid of all those dang comics and was going to throw them away in the dumpster. Maybe not a greedy relative, but someone who did not, in most cases value the collection that had been amassed as did the previous owner.

99.9999% of the general public fell into this same category back then--comics were entirely disposable media just like magazines that virtually the entire general public had no idea could be valuable. Even Marvel and DC looked at them this way at that time, which is why then they were printed on the cheapest woodpulp paper they could get ink to stick to. Edgar Church didn't value his own collection like we do our comics, either, by Chuck's own account, which is why they were in such high grade. He was a commercial artist and bought the books to look at the covers as reference and inspiration for his art, likely because they were the cheapest form of art available at the time.

I'm not seeing how a relative is uncaring for not sharing the exact same interests as their deceased loved one. (shrug)

I agree... except sometimes it gets discovered by a store, and no major dealer ever hears about it. In fact, it may have just happened. lol

The owner of my LCS buys collections every week. He bought about 30 longboxes worth of BA/CA comics from a guy about a month ago - not all OO though, and most were in the VG - F range. He does get OO collections every once in a while, and I keep hoping one of these days someone will walk in his shop with a OO collection worthy of pedigree status. He probably wouldn't call me though. :(

Without a doubt.

I found two really nice original owner collections in 2009, and I'm a monkey. If somebody with some skills and money would look, I'm sure they could find one or two.

True. Greedy relatives refers to our wives and closest relatives. :taptaptap:

Yes, if I die this year :tonofbricks:

+1 (thumbs u

But in all seriousness, I am trying to convince my dad to let me submit his books. He has 4 or 5 very large boxes of comics. All Marvel and DC ranging from 1958-1968. I haven't been able to look at them for the last 7 or 8 years, but I think they are all at least VF. Been working on him for years to get these from him.

How would I get these as a pedigree?

We haven't seen one around here that I know of since 2001.....they're not that common. What you will see are high grade collections assembled in the 70's being sold off as the owners reach retirement. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S High grade original owner collections weren't all that common even back in the days when collections turned up all the time...that's why there are only a few notable ones even after all this time.

Because that paints them as the villains, so it's assumed perfectly fine to rip them off. It's a sad tactic employed by those with zero ethics or empathy.

I’d guess “probably.”

Working off of memory, but here are some of the major silver/bronze collections unveiled since 1995 or so. Some of these might have surfaced earlier, but you’ll get the idea. I’m probably forgetting a few too. But one major collection a year seems to be about par for the course.

Winnipeg

Slobodian

Northland

Mass

Oakland

Golden State

Pacific Coast

Curator

Boston

Cleveland

Rocky Mountain

Mound City

I’d guess “probably.”

Working off of memory, but here are some of the major silver/bronze collections unveiled since 1995 or so. Some of these might have surfaced earlier, but you’ll get the idea. I’m probably forgetting a few too. But one major collection a year seems to be about par for the course.

Winnipeg

Slobodian

Northland

Mass

Oakland

Golden State

Pacific Coast

Curator

Boston

Cleveland

Rocky Mountain

Mound City

As for GA and Atom Age collections, there's been the Spokane, River City, Lost Valley, Crowley, Davis Crippen and Detroit Trolley finds in recent years, amongst others. More than you think out there....