• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Barksducksuo goes private?

12 posts in this topic

Anyone have experience with this seller? He/She sells raw Silver/Bronze that are billed as 9.4/9.6 most of the time. I have tracked their auctions (they get a lot of action) but the feedback just went private and 2 new negs showed up this week.

Anyone?

I've been a little puzzled about this seller and have personally avoided their auctions for a couple of reasons that I'd like to keep to myself. To cut a long story short, if you can determine that either of the following is true:

1) They are located in Oregon.

2) They have been selling high grade copies of Disney comics with "Barks' file copy stamp" on them,

I would be careful. I emphasize that this is just my own personal opinion and that I have no reason to believe that barksducksuo is anything but a perfectly fine and honest seller. My hesitaton may just be due to an unfortunate coincidence... Until recently, they had a superb feedback record.

From what I've seen most people are happy with their grading. I don't know about how they are as a dealer, but it sounds like they can grade at least decently..well..at least that's what I got from the feedback before it became private.

Brian

I realize I should elaborate on my previous entry. I have two concerns:

1) There is something very strange about those file stamp copies. In the summer of 2001, a copy of Four Color 189 with the stamp was listed on eBay. Any Barks collector with respect for him/herself will know that Barks' personal copy of this comic was shown in Mike Barrier's book about Barks (page 101, if I remember correctly). Clearly, the book pictured in Barrier's book was different from the book on eBay. I was seriously considering bidding on the auction, but after consulting with long time friends of Barks, I was very confused. Barks was not a comics collector at all and the copies that he had (like the FC 189 in Barrier's book) were pretty beat up. A number of high grade copies with the famous stamp have been listed on eBay after Barks' death, often bringing multiples of guide value (a copy of FC 386 brought around $2,500, for example).

2) I was burned worth $1,800 in 2000 by a different seller that had some spooky similiarities with barksducksuo: fonts and wording of ads were almost the same and the other seller also sold baseball cards. It was to some extent my own fault for being naive, but at the best the seller was uninformed about comics. The seller eventually accumulated a 5-10% negative feedback and restarted under a different name - this happened twice! I've been worried that barksducksuo was the third resurrection.

I am not at all saying that there is any foul play, just that my uncertainty about the origin of the "file copies" (which are shared by experts who know Barks very well) are sufficient for me not to want to invest thousands of $ in them. For 2), I have no reason to believe that barksducksuo is the same seller, I am just extra cautious because of my previous experience.

Hopefully, someone will be able to clarify this and prove me wrong.

Correction: Paramont has a retail outlet & has been known to sell comics, used records, videos, etc. Ultramatic on eBay is writer/artist/airbrush artist/collector Ken Steacy. He sells orig comic art, sci-fi items, vintage hood ornaments, etc. He travels thru Seattle, WA/Portland, OR area quite often. Think Barks lived near Grants Pass, OR area.

hkp: you should read your bible more often it's on page 111 grin.gif

I think it's a huge risk to buy any of those file stamp copies, if some comic dealer bought that stamp at the estate auction.

Usually those file copies on Ebay were suspiciously high grade copies ,even NM-like Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck Dell giant. (Just checked from my picture archive, been saving interesting scans for a long time)

Since I've been watching their auctions, I've noticed very few Disney comics which always made me wonder about their name. The auctions I have been interested in were billed as from a single collector who (to paraphrase but this is their language) bought 5-10 copies of every issue and stored them away. Some of the high grade unslabbed stuff have been very early Fantastic Four (I think #1), early x-men, but also post Marvel 1968 fare like Tomb Of Dracula, Werewolf By Night etc. They did have reasonably good feedback (especially considering they were touting a CGC equivalent) but then they just went private which always raises a red flag.