• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ANYONE COMING TO TORONTO....

148 posts in this topic

A pipe burst in the ceiling early Friday morning that caused some water damage so they closed on Friday to see exactly what had been damaged and allow the electrician, the plumber and the insurance adjusters in to assess the situation (and the carpet to dry!).

Kev

I actually wanted to go to get some Street Fighters signed.

It's hard to know who from UDON will be at a show when they are on the bill. If they are, chances are that Erik Ko will be there, At our last show only Erik Ko could come because everyone was "working hard to meet deadlines".

We do know that Arnold Tsang, the Street Fighter artist will be at the June show.

Kev

A pipe burst in the ceiling early Friday morning that caused some water damage so they closed on Friday to see exactly what had been damaged and allow the electrician, the plumber and the insurance adjusters in to assess the situation (and the carpet to dry!).

Kev

any comics damaged.

Will there be a water sale?

Maybe...?

Some more guests booked this week for the one and only Paradise Conventions' TORONTO COMICON on JUNE 18-20, 2004:

Sandy Plunkett

(illustrator, schedule permitting)

www.plunkettart.com

Tim Levins

(artist, Batman: Gotham Adventures, Justice League Adventures)

Bill Sienkiewicz

(illustrator, Sandman: Endless Nights)

www.billsienkiewicz.com

Bill says he should have his passport ready for this one!

Shelly Bond

DC/Vertigo Senior Editor

www.dccomics.com/features/vertigox

It looks like I won't be able to make it to Orlando this weekend for Megacon (I'm about 85% certain I won't unless I get a cheap last minute flight).

However, Peter Dixon, my fellow promoter for the Toronto Comicon and the owner of Paradise Comics will be there (he's heading down tomorrow).

Peter will be using the CGC Booth as his home base for the duration of the show. Drop by and say hello if you have any questions about the show or want to submit books for the Signature Series at Megacon or for upcoming conventions like Wizard World LA..

Kevin Boyd

Paradise Conventions

Peter called me today from Megacon to tell me that The Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon 2003 won the online vote for BEST INTERNATIONAL (NON USA) COMIC CONVENTION over at www.comicbookconventions.com - he was presented with the prestigious CONNIE award. Look for the official announcement on that site later this week.

This is great news! We would like to thank everyone for their support and for voting for us online!

Peter also called to say that ACTOR and TOP COW have committed to do be at the June show, and that ACTOR will be bringing a top secret surprise guest - so secret that none of us know who it is yet!

I'm also happy to announce that James Lucas Jones from ONI Press will be at the show as well, and that there will be an "ONI island" of creators. James will be previewing new ONI projects, answering questions, and doing portfolio reviews. There are a lot of ONI creators in Toronto, so it should be a lot of fun.

So that "ups" our publishers represented count up to three: Top Cow, ONI Press, and DC Comics. I spoke to an editor at Marvel Comics earlier today and he seems interested, he just needs to make sure his schedule permits. More updates next week!

Unfortunately DREAMWAVE has a scheduling conflict that weekend and won't be "officially" at the show, however, many DW creators and staff will be coming down to hang out.

Kev

I might as well give you a show update...

LA was a very positive convention for us, as many people came by to look at the Cerebus #1 and #300 and check out the new flyer/poster.

A few more US dealers expressed interest, and we should have some announcements on who will be there by the end of April.

As for guests, since we have reached our travel budget the only changes from now on will be the addition of any additional local creators who decide to attend, or if one of the five or so "big name" guests we have invitations extended to decide to come. There is also the ACTOR sponsored guest - but we probably won't know who that is until early May.

Unfortunately, Darwyn Cooke has decided not to officially participate in the June show.

Kev

I might as well give you a show update...

Kev

The website doesn't give any ticket info other than to say they will be available April 15th. Can you let us know the ticket prices for daily and the whole show?

Thanks

Dave Hennen

The website doesn't give any ticket info other than to say they will be available April 15th. Can you let us know the ticket prices for daily and the whole show?

Hi Dave, when I return from LA on Monday I will be confirming the final ticket prices with Peter and have the website updated with that information.

Essentially the adult admission price will be approx. $15/day (canadian dollars) and $30 for the weekend if purchased in advance.

The schedule will be firmed up over the coming weeks, but Friday night attendees will be able to attend a unique seminar on the graphic novel and the careers of Will Eisner (father of the graphic novel itself), Dave Sim (who created the medium's largest personal work), and Chester Brown (author of the top-selling Louis Riel graphic novel), plus a surprise guest or two.

The remainder of the weekend will have seminars and panel discussions with some of our other guests - expect presentations from DC, Oni and hopefully Marvel. A presentation on Conan in comics with Roy Thomas, Cary Nord and others. There will be an ONI panel since we have a number of Oni creators and their new Editor-In-Chief there, plus an Anime screening room, a WizKids HeroClix tournament, the Dave Sim art gallery and pedigree books and a special signing with Dave on Saturday (for religious reasons Dave won't be able to stay on Sunday). Plus on Saturday we will be holding another charity art auction.

Kev

Final tickets are: (in Canadian $):

Regular $15/day, $30/weekend

Youth (10-15): $10/day. $20/weekend

Children 9 and under: Free with an adult.

New guests as of April 3/04:

Francis Manapul (Witchblade)

Tom Grummett (Avengers/Thunderbolts)

Kev