• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pulps stolen; reward offered

10 posts in this topic

David Smith is an acquaintance who runs the community oriented Bellingham, WA comicon. On Nov. 10/09, his house was burglarized. At the Portland comicon Nov. 15/09, he was handing out this list of about 12 stolen pulps. Some were typical square bound; others were staple bound girly-type pulps.

Ten Detective Aces March, 1935 or 1936.

Ghost Stories

Pep Stories March, 1937

Breezy Stories 2 issues from the 1930's

Other Worlds 1950s. digest sized. Girl in a glass bubble on cover.

Ginger or Ginger Stories vol.2 #6 bare breasted girl on cover.

Snappy Stories. has bare breasted girl on cover.

Tattle Tales patriotic theme cover.

Spicy Stories Feb, 1934. blonde girl with fencing sword impaling 8 hearts on cover.

Magic cover pulps. 1 was larger bed-sheet size that has sexy girl with magic wand cover.

Majority are from late 1920s to late 1930s. Most pulps in mylar or 2 mil mylites with backing boards. Some of the boards had writing on the back as to date bought and possibly a 4 to 8 digit code. A few had small white stickers on front upper right hand corner of the pulp with hand writing that he can identify.

If you have any info, please contact David Smith at office 425-787-1242 or home tel # 425-745-0229. He will grant a REWARD (not specified on flyer) for the safe return of any or all pulps.

Or call Snowhomish, WA County Sheriff's office:

Deputy D. Harris tel # 425-388-5250

Police case # 09-22730.

Thank you for your consideration, as the crook may try to resell these in the Pacific Northwest USA or abroad. :foryou:

Before Dave moved up to Washington, he owned the LCS in Garden Grove, CA that I frequented for many years. He sold me my first Golden Age book.

Great guy, and I'm sorry to hear that his house was burglarized.

Before Dave moved up to Washington, he owned the LCS in Garden Grove, CA that I frequented for many years. He sold me my first Golden Age book.

You may be getting Dave Smith mixed up with Darren Smith who also specialized in pulps and had an excellent comicshop near Anaheim, CA that I visited 18 years ago. Think Darren moved to Seattle, WA and took over Stv Sibra's Rocket Comics shop location near the University district. Both nice guys and serious vintage paper collectors.

Most likely these pulps may be dumped at a local antiquarian bookstore or convention in Pacific Northwest USA.

You may be getting Dave Smith mixed up with Darren Smith who also specialized in pulps and had an excellent comicshop near Anaheim, CA that I visited 18 years ago. Think Darren moved to Seattle, WA and took over Stv Sibra's Rocket Comics shop location near the University district. Both nice guys and serious vintage paper collectors.

Most likely these pulps may be dumped at a local antiquarian bookstore or convention in Pacific Northwest USA.

hm, never heard of Darren Smith. Dave's store was Fantasy Illustrated in Garden Grove. He closed his store when Mile High opened their Anaheim store. Dave did take over Rocket Comics in Seattle. I've got a picture of the two of us somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

Dave's kinda short in stature, and last time I saw him he was wearing his hair long, often in a pony tail.

nm,

Guess I am the 1 getting their 2 names confused. Must be the same David Smith only with a hair cut now. Very personable gentleman thinking of expanding the hobby to grab collectors from Canada for his WA comicon next to the border. Smart. (thumbs u

What a terrible story. I hope the burglar is caught and brought to justice.

Regarding the pulps: It might be helpful to post photos of what they look like, so they're easier to remember for those of us who frequently scan eBay and other sites that sell such items.

I also highly recommend that he set up automatic searches for those items on eBay, which will send him a notification whenever there's a new result.

The pulps do not seem to have been targeted. The thieves grabbed electronic equipment, jewelry, and a box of pulps. Just have to spread the word out to collector book shops and collectors in and around Seattle, WA area. I am sure David Smith is savvy enough to be doing eBay searches for his goods now. Sorry, don't have any digital pics to post but you don't come across pulps that old in your normal Half Price Bookstore.