• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Casper and the Spectrals #1

17 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

I was wondering if anyone else has had a chance to read the re-do of the Casper franchise.

casperspectrals.jpg

The reason I ask is that I bought this for my 7 year daughter and read it before she has had a chance to, and after reading it, I am not sure it is suitable for her age group.

While I am no means a prude, I thought the book was way too scary to be considered "All-ages" and I am not sure if a 7 year old should be reading this. So I had my wife read it, and she felt the same way.

But I wanted to get other opinions before I become a censor for my kid. If you have read this and are a parent, do you consider it to be for "All-ages"?

Let me know what you think.

Alex

I checked it out for my just-turned-8-year-old, and didn't find anything in it that I would consider inappropriate for her age group. There really isn't anything in the book that you wouldn't find in a G or PG-rated Disney Halloween movie (like Twitches, Halloweentown High, etc).

I'll donwload it illegally off of BitTorrent and tell you in a minute.... ... ....

I agree.

I would try the Scooby Doo books from DC.

forget bittorrent.

Find some 0 day websites

I checked it out for my just-turned-8-year-old, and didn't find anything in it that I would consider inappropriate for her age group. There really isn't anything in the book that you wouldn't find in a G or PG-rated Disney Halloween movie (like Twitches, Halloweentown High, etc).

So you are OK that someone is murdered? I know there isn't anything graphic to it, but you don't find that in Tiny Titans or Scooby Doo.

So you are OK that someone is murdered? I know there isn't anything graphic to it, but you don't find that in Tiny Titans or Scooby Doo.

People die in Disney movies all the time. Heck, even Bambi's mom died :shrug:

I'll donwload it illegally off of BitTorrent and tell you in a minute.... ... ....

I agree.

forget bittorrent.

Find some 0 day websites

(tsk) Malware, trojans, and viruses!

No one dies in Scoody Doo.... But they would.... if only those meddling kids didnt get involved....

(anyone catch Numbers last week? I was :roflmao: the whole episode. They pulled the government guy from the DirecTV ads!)

scooby doo has an awful lot of babbling and not enough focus on scooby. i tried reading one to my 4 year old and velma just wouldn't stop talking, i hoped the monster/ghost would just kill her already.

I agree.

forget bittorrent.

Find some 0 day websites

Then your not looking at the right ones!

Trust me on this

As the parent, you're the ultimate and best gatekeeper. (And we don't know your kids like you do.) If you feel the book isn't appropriate for your child, then don't let them read it until they're older. There's lots of great comics out there that are appropriate for any age.

Didn't Casper have to die to become a ghost?

Didn't Casper have to die to become a ghost?

Stewie Killed Casper

I agree.

forget bittorrent.

Find some 0 day websites

Trust me on this

Link?

I agree.

forget bittorrent.

Find some 0 day websites

Trust me on this

Oh I trust you implcitily on this issue. :devil:

Do like I do and buy them piles of Dells and Archies on the cheap.

Actually, the Scooby was a gift from a kind comic shop owner to my son when I dropped by one of my usual haunts, I might not have bought it on my own. I spent a whopping $3 on four dollar books and he gave us a free brand new $2.50 comic. He felt bad that I had come there to buy 400 SA bag/board sets and he was totally out of SA bags and boards.

Some of you guys rag on dealers and comic shop owners, but this isn't the first time one of them has just given my son a comic (and no, I don't think it's because they're pedophiles and he's ridiculously cute (my wife's genetic contribution, not mine)). Heck, at a show, one dealer gave my son a 12 cent cover price Batman (yes, it was a beater out of the $2 box and yes, I was spending like $100 at the table, but anyway...) ...yeah, the cover on that one got torn off and trashed pretty good, but those pre-Adams Batmans are just about right for reading to a smart 4 year old!

My son likes mainstream DC/Marvel superhero stuff, but I find moderns a little bit difficult to read out loud to him. There is either way too much giberish or practically no story telling. A 70's spidey gets to the point pretty quickly. So when I get beater 70's or early 80's comics that really has no "collectible" value, I'll give them to him if he's interested. He has a stack of them now. We did a little cutting and pasting of some of them for a collage project for his school, but he made sure I cut only as much as I really needed so as to leave as much of the comic intact.