• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Silver Age War Interiors Thread

41 posts in this topic

Quoted from the thread HERE

Covers are fun to see on the threads, but man, the sad part is that people don't see the interiors. It's the stories that were the main reason for my collecting them for so many years. NO genre has better interiors than DC war. Art by Kubert, Heath, Drucker, Severin, Glanzman, Grandenetti, Toth, Estrada. Killer stuff every step of the way.

Mick makes an excellent point so I decided to scan some interiors and post them. I hope to do more as time permits and I'll probably lean heavily towards my favorites (Heath and Kubert) but I'll throw in some Drucker and Severin as well. I encourage others to post your favorites

Scanning these takes some time :P Might have to consider photos in the future. hm

Anyway, I'll start with three stories from All American Men of War 52. First up is some Russ Heath goodness.

89740.jpg.da6f0e4ac946efd8ceed6013b8d3ef84.jpg

89741.jpg.6253477d35ac877753964ef032ae6e6e.jpg

89742.jpg.1212902f660cdd39485cd6b40641c8b4.jpg

Mort Drucker doesn`t get enough attention from comic fans. Everyone knows him from his work for Mad, but his comic art was superb!

I was just thinking that exact thing. Looking at those pages reminded me just how good he is.

I scanned this from a 70s reader. Forget which one right now, but will only scan interiors of the higher grade 50s stuff as a matter of last resort. The original IS superior in terms of the clarity of the art.

Loved Drucker's chiaroscuro inking. Some interesting parallels to Colan's inking. In fact, it's VERY difficult to tell who's who on some of those Atlas 50s war books. I've been fooled a number of times. Likewise with each of their work on Hoppy.

Definitely awesome. Glanzman's one of the main reasons the late 60's/70s stuff is as compelling as it is.

In THAT vein, I'd photographed this USS Stevens piece awhile back, but can't remember if I posted it anywhere, so here it is. Sorry for any glare from the camera. That big circular thing is actually the reflection from the ceiling lamp. Bought the story from the man, himself about 10 years ago. Was shocked at it still being available.

As introspective a treatise on war as I've EVER seen. Glanzman's writing on this series is as good as ANYTHING Kanigher EVER did. I can't get this piece outta my head whenever I see an old fellow wearing one of those hats with the outfit he served in during the __________ war. Believe it or not, I define myself more by pacifism than the alternative, so war comics are a strange genre to collect. Glanzman's stuff addresses some of the realities of war in a way that still leave me speechless. He had a way of juxtaposing the human element against the monstrosity of war. . .and--for shît sakes--he did it routinely in 4 pages!!

dreams1_2.jpg

dreams3_4.jpg

That's fantastic Mick! The USS Stevens stories are undoubtedly the less widely known and appreciated than the works of kanigher, but those stories always juxtaposed the horrors of war with the people doing what they had to do to see it through.

I've mentioned this several times but the story 'The Sea is Calm the Sky is Bright' has stayed with me since I read it as a kid. I still get chills when I think about it.

Why these haven't yet been collected in a single volume is beyond me.

Ambivalence about such an obvious project illuminates the lack of foresight from people who should know better. Besides the fact that Sam should live to see his finest work published in anthology form, comics readers are hard-wired for this kinda thing now more than ever. They're more sophisticated and diverse than they were when the USS Stevens got published for the first go-round.

There'd be a lot of folks who typically read independent stuff but would gravitate to Glanzman's stuff on the advice of just a few knowledgeable retailers/vendors (like Marc). It'd be a groundswell, not to mention a segue into collecting titles they wouldn't necessarily explore from the same genre--like Sgt. Rock Showcase or Archives.

Ahh well. What're ye gonna do?

Yeah, I'd actually buy extras just to keep it in stock. I'm sure my local store would order 10 copies as well.

Your point about comic readers being more ready for it today than in the 70s is a good one and my thought was it would be an obvious seller to vets and through some sorto f military channels (or through ads in WW II magazines, whatever).

I also thought we could do a Bronze age was interiors thread but in the bronze forum because I'm regimented that way. :grin:

Not that I'm objecting to those USS Stevens pages being posted here. That is some sweet stuff. (worship)