• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quick shipping to Canada question

9 posts in this topic

Sorry but I searched and did not find anything. I am bearly on my first cup of coffee so my brain is in slo-mo still.

What is the best way to ship to Canada that has tracking? I can ship via priority mail and have a tracking #? Also, it is only a trade paperback and about 1 lb so it will fit into the priority envelope but I prefer to use my own box.

Does anyone have any experience with shipping those priority envelopes to Canada? My own experience is that they tend to tear where the cardboard to protect the contents is thus exposing the actual contents. So much for protection. So if I use my own box I can ship First-Class Mail International Package but not sure how long that takes and if it can have delivery confirmation. The package is going to Toronto.

Finally, it has been awhile since I shipped to Canada but do the require that green thingie to be completed or do I have to do a customs form?

Thanks for your help.

If it ships Priority, you have to use the new form, which the counter person has to enter manually into the system (they'll really love you if you have a couple of those). I don't know if the custom's form really qualifies as a tracking form, though you may be able to lookup the number on the Canada Post website.

If you are shipping first class, you can use the old green form. If its just a TPB, and if the parcel is less then 4 lbs., I'd probably do that; much cheaper then Priority.

If it ships Priority, you have to use the new form, which the counter person has to enter in manually into the system (they'll really love you if you have a couple of those). I don't know if the custom's form really qualifies as a tracking form, though you may be able to lookup the number on the Canada Post website.

If you are shipping first class, you can use the old green form. If its just a TPB, and if the parcel is less then 4 lbs., I'd probably do that; much cheaper then Priority.

Thanks for the info. Actually using the PO calc I get a price of 13.65 for first class and 10.95 for priority envelope. That is crazy, there must be something I am doing wrong because 1st class should be alot cheaper.

So the long and short of it is that there is no tracking info so what happens if the package is lost? It is an ebay sale so does anyone know how paypal handles these transactions?

Here's the story:

I have no international buyers listed, the guy emailed me asking if he can bid. His account has not been used in some time and finally he just started using it and only has 4 transactions on it. One for 400 and the other 100 then it goes to under 10. bucks. So I guess I am worried that this may be a hijacked account. My auction is not that much but I cannot afford to be out the money either. I would not mind shipping to Canada if there is a means of tracking, etc and I am protected as a seller.

Maybe someone can chime in on whether the USPS Customs Form # is used as actual tracking # on the Canada Post site.

I don't really have a good answer for you, but I know I've had to bypass a couple of ebay transactions with Canadians for various reasons related to shipping (one wanted a high dollar book to be shipped as a "gift" with no declared value and no insurance, so that he could skirt around the taxes on his side. Thanks, but no thanks.)

I'm in Toronto and send/receive packages from the US all the time.

Did you use the price rates listed on USPS.com?

Priority Mail to Toronto is $10.95 (up to 4 lbs.), in a box. It's the best way to do it. (Sorry - I forgot that tracking is NOT available for the $10.95 flat rate "small box".)

First Class for a 24 ounce packet to Canada is $6.97.

Really, I'd get the customer to pay for Priority Mail. Most ebayers that I buy from insist on shipping via Priority Mail, and I don't mind paying a bit extra for the bigger box with secure packaging.

If you really don't have a good feeling about this customer, I'd be willing to accept shipment of the package, and your customer can pick it up at my office in downtown Toronto, any weekday between 9-5. I have a good rep both here and on Ebay (handle "armchair").

Andrew

One other note re: declared value.

I never ask sellers to declare the value of their packages as less than they should be, but some sellers do it anyway - especially some of the big auction/sales sites. I'll buy $2000 of books and the package will arrive with a customs declaration of $100. It's a bit disconcerting, but I've NEVER had a problem with a packaging going missing or being damaged.

Hi Andrew, that is really nice to offer pick up. I think the USPS calc is wrong. Anyway, the trade will not fit into a priority flat rate small box. I have those small flat boxes that fit one comic or even a trade but the USPS calc states a price of $25 so I would have to go to the PO and have them weigh it.

I am going to put in a call to paypal and see what protection I am offered. This does stink for the buyer as well. Its an item that does not come up for sale very often and I would like to give him the opporunity to bid on it.