• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spiderman # 5 hammers at $97,000

91 posts in this topic

45K for the book as a 9.6 OW

97K for the SAME book as a 9.8 OW/W

:ohnoez:

To some people its all about buying the label.

B

I agree with you whole heartedly. How can an extra 45k be generated on somebodies opinion?? Thats ridiculous IMO

What's ridiculous is that an extra 45K can be generated by a CHANGE of opinion.

It's coo-coo bananas, and has absolutely nothing to do with "hey, other people spend their money the way they want, so who cares?"

It is a total lack of perspective.

It's THE SAME BOOK. And, if reports are to be believed, NOTHING was done to the book. It was literally, physically, chemically, molecularly the EXACT SAME BOOK in the EXACT SAME CONDITION.

But replace that 6 with an 8, and VOILA!

It's worth 2-3 times what it was.

Label chasing, and label chasing only.

BUT....take heart, those of you who understand how ridiculous this really is....

...the EXACT same thing happened in coins, and the market crashed...hard.

So, leave the ultra high grade silliness to the label chasers...who, at the end of the day, really CAN spend their money, as ill advised as it may be, on nothing but labels....and enjoy the 9.4s, the 9.2s, the 9.0s...books that, while not perfect, can still be quite stunning, and possess distinctive character in their slight flaws that ultra highs don't.

What a beautiful world that will be..... :cloud9:

PS: CGC didn't get it wrong either time. Grading between the "points" is subjective.

+1

I totally agree

If there was any doubt that Spider-man is the TOP super hero

These sales eliminate any such thoughts

Yeah you're right, no Superman related, Batman related, Cap, Flash (GA & SA) books ever sold for more at auction meh

Yeah you're right, no Superman related, Batman related, Cap, Flash (GA & SA) books ever sold for more at auction meh

Maybe so, but has a "Superman related, Batman related, Cap, Flash (GA & SA) book" # 5 ever sold for that much at auction?

45K for the book as a 9.6 OW

97K for the SAME book as a 9.8 OW/W

:ohnoez:

To some people its all about buying the label.

B

I agree with you whole heartedly. How can an extra 45k be generated on somebodies opinion?? Thats ridiculous IMO

What's ridiculous is that an extra 45K can be generated by a CHANGE of opinion.

It's coo-coo bananas, and has absolutely nothing to do with "hey, other people spend their money the way they want, so who cares?"

It is a total lack of perspective.

It's THE SAME BOOK. And, if reports are to be believed, NOTHING was done to the book. It was literally, physically, chemically, molecularly the EXACT SAME BOOK in the EXACT SAME CONDITION.

But replace that 6 with an 8, and VOILA!

It's worth 2-3 times what it was.

Label chasing, and label chasing only.

BUT....take heart, those of you who understand how ridiculous this really is....

...the EXACT same thing happened in coins, and the market crashed...hard.

So, leave the ultra high grade silliness to the label chasers...who, at the end of the day, really CAN spend their money, as ill advised as it may be, on nothing but labels....and enjoy the 9.4s, the 9.2s, the 9.0s...books that, while not perfect, can still be quite stunning, and possess distinctive character in their slight flaws that ultra highs don't.

What a beautiful world that will be..... :cloud9:

PS: CGC didn't get it wrong either time. Grading between the "points" is subjective.

PPS: by the way, this highlights why there will eventually be a 9.7, 9.5, 9.3, 9.1....it's only a matter of time.

Yup, that pretty much sums it up.

Some people really care about what other people think when they waste their money. Can you tell? Diamond encrusted Mercedes anybody?

89794.jpg.103d157f0afee5fcf151b4113cfdd5db.jpg

Maybe so, but has a "Superman related, Batman related, Cap, Flash (GA & SA) book" # 5 ever sold for that much at auction?

Has a Spider-Man 7 ever sold as much as an Action 7? Has a Spider-Man 1 ever sold as much as an Action 1, Batman 1, or Superman 1? You can go down the list of ASM books and, more times than not, they're going to lose

Has a Spider-Man 7 ever sold as much as an Action 7? Has a Spider-Man 1 ever sold as much as an Action 1, Batman 1, or Superman 1? You can go down the list of ASM books and, more times than not, they're going to lose

Comparing Spiderman 7 with Action 7 is a disingenous comparison b/c Action Comics was not solely a book for Superman. That would be like comparing Amazing Fantasy 15 with Superman 15. A bad comparison.

I don't want to say much more on this subject other than that Spiderman outsells Batman and Superman by a VERY wide margin

The sale of an Amazing Spiderman 5 at almost 6 figure prices shows me that Spiderman is still the TOP dog

PPS: by the way, this highlights why there will eventually be a 9.7, 9.5, 9.3, 9.1....it's only a matter of time.

Sorry that will never happen.

Sorry, it will.

But out of morbid curiosity, why do you believe this?

I agree and have been saying for years that as the dollar values reach astronomical prices these grade points will become necessary.

Sorry, it will.

But out of morbid curiosity, why do you believe this?

I agree and have been saying for years that as the dollar values reach astronomical prices these grade points will become necessary.

I agree. At 6 figures for a book I wanna know if my book is really a 9.7 but got upgraded or low graded to 9.8 or 9.6 because 9.7 didnt exist

Comparing Spiderman 7 with Action 7 is a disingenous comparison b/c Action Comics was not solely a book for Superman. That would be like comparing Amazing Fantasy 15 with Superman 15. A bad comparison.

I don't want to say much more on this subject other than that Spiderman outsells Batman and Superman by a VERY wide margin

The sale of an Amazing Spiderman 5 at almost 6 figure prices shows me that Spiderman is still the TOP dog

Right, people bought Action for something other than the Superman stories :screwy:lol So, if Spidey consistently outsells Superman & Batman, prove it

!Bc7L)K!BWk~$(KGrHqIH-DwEquZ(cC0FBK2sgYITEQ~~_12.JPG

The silly "Wizard First" program aside, there will be more delineations because the market will demand them.

Look only to coins...in the beginning, there was "Good", "Fine", and "Unc" (sound familiar?)

Then people asked "well, wait...what if a coin is Uncirculated, but this Unc coin looks nicer than that Unc coin? This one has nice luster and frosty designs, while that one is dull and flat."

So, there was About Good, Good, Very Good, Fine, Very Fine, Extremely Fine, Uncirculated, Brilliant Uncirculated.

Then people said "Well, wait...this BU coin is WAY nicer than that BU...that one has all sorts of marks, nicks, gouges, and this one has very little. And what about coins that only have a TINY bit of wear?"

So, there was AG. G. VG. F, VF, EF, AU (About Uncirculated), BU, Select BU, Choice BU, and Gem BU.

Then people said: "this dealer over here has "Gem BUs" that don't look half as nice as this other one's Select BU, and THIS dealer over here is selling coins as Gem BU that look like Very Fines!"

So, then came PCGS, and Dr. Sheldon's numerical system (1-70) became standard. And the MS61, 62, 64, 66, 68, and 69 grades were born.

So, from a time when there was only ONE designation for "no wear"..."Unc."...there came ELEVEN different designations...MS60, MS61, MS62.....MS68, MS69, MS70.

If people really think...with the price difference between a 9.6 and 9.8 in excess of $45,000 for this one example...that the market is not going to demand the "in between" grades, they're not paying attention. After all, how many borderline books have we seen? How many books have we seen that we thought had a fair shot at 9.8, but a rather weak one, get stuck in a 9.6 case? Wouldn't we have been happier if there was a 9.7?

Trust me, the market will demand it, and if CGC doesn't comply, the market WILL move to a company that does.

That's because those books don't exist in that grade.

If an Action Comics #5 showed up in 9.8 condition, it would smash this result to pieces. The Mile High Action #5 has not been graded (and is not likely to obtain a 9.8, but if it did...watch out.)

The Action #7 in 8.0 sold almost 2 years ago for $143,000+. The Mile High #7 would easily, easily triple that. Easily.

If a Detective #31 showed up in this grade, it would destroy that result. If a Tec #31 showed up in 9.0, it would destroy that result. I suspect the 8.0 would easily top the 9.8 Spidey #5.

If even a Superman #5 or Batman #5 showed up in 9.8...yes, quite easily, they'd beat that result.

Let's not get silly. There are dozens...yes, dozens...of Golden Age books that smash an Amazing Spiderman #5 in 9.8, without even needing to attain that lofty grade.

Spidey #1? Not so much.

#5? Easily.

Come on, learn your history before saying silly things like this.. (thumbs u

The intermediate grades were something many old school dealers used. I actually liked that system as it gave you a better idea of grade. Instead of VG/VG+, you'd get 4.3 or 4.4 It was a helpful tool to the buyer as long as the seller was a competent grader, but that applies in any situation

Really....?

Seriously....?

You're going to pretend that Action Comics #7 has value for ANY OTHER REASON besides Superman...?

It is a quite APT comparison.

:screwy:

It does?

Do you REALLY want me to whip out the Diamond numbers?

In the last 30 years, how may times do you think a Spiderman book was the best selling of the year...?

And then, how many times was a Batman book or a Superman book the best selling...?

Among Silver Age characters, you're correct. No character is more popular than Spiderman.

But compared to the Golden Age, Spidey just cannot compete.

The intermediate grades were something many old school dealers used. I actually liked that system as it gave you a better idea of grade. Instead of VG/VG+, you'd get 4.3 or 4.4 It was a helpful tool to the buyer as long as the seller was a competent grader, but that applies in any situation

Numbers....even if they're totally made up to fit pre-conceived definitions, like the Sheldon numbers...have a way of making things clear in the way nomenclature just cannot.

If I tell someone a book was "VF" who is not into comics, they will have no idea what that means.

If I say "it was an 8 on a scale of 1-10"...they have a much clearer idea of what that means, even if it's not precise.

So, if Spidey consistently outsells Superman & Batman, prove it

Just look at circulation numbers OR if u have ever worked in a comic book store then u will know that Spidey outsells all other books

Facts are Facts