• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spiderman # 5 hammers at $97,000

91 posts in this topic

The grade says it all...how many 9.8s are there of that or any early spidey book?

45K for the book as a 9.6 OW

97K for the SAME book as a 9.8 OW/W

:ohnoez:

Something you and I can finally agree on Chris.... :ohnoez:

While I agree. :ohnoez:

It's not our money, is it?

And to some, who want the book the 97K might be $400 or even $40 for some of us. Everything is perspective.

Some might think SS books or sketches are for kids while others, who could never afford to drop 50K on a book think prices like that are insane.

It all boils down to collect what you love, and live and let live.

Exactly, as the person who bought the book (probably Tom B. hm) wanted to have the best copy known at any cost.

Exactly, as the person who bought the book (probably Tom B. hm) wanted to have the best copy known at any cost.

Unless it's a price variant Star Wars #1, right? :makepoint:

And to some, who want the book the 97K might be $400 or even $40 for some of us. Everything is perspective.

Some might think SS books or sketches are for kids while others, who could never afford to drop 50K on a book think prices like that are insane.

My comment had more to do with the fact that the same book didn't sell at half the price. If it wasn't worth 45K....it surely wasn't worth 97K when all that really changed was the label.

Unless it's a price variant Star Wars #1, right? :makepoint:

(thumbs u

I actually bid on this book up to the 22K range. Man was I off by a bit. Was it pressed into a 9.8 or just resubbed?

Pretty sure it was pressed.

I believe it was a 9.6 with OW Pages at the Chicago show at a dealers booth.

My comment had more to do with the fact that the same book didn't sell at half the price. If it wasn't worth 45K....it surely wasn't worth 97K when all that really changed was the label.

Ditto. I wasn't bashing the sale or the buy, just referring to the fact that is was the most expensive two tenths of a point grade increase in history. It went from an overpriced 9.6 that several people passed on, to a record breaking 9.8, and I'm assuming it was nothing more then a straight resub.

But hey, that's the power of the CGC label...I wouldn't have nearly as nice of a collection if I didn't cash in on that game myself on occasion.

If there was any doubt that Spider-man is the TOP super hero

These sales eliminate any such thoughts

$97,000 for Spider-man # 5 ?????????????????????

I don't believe it

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/public/default.asp?t=1&m=1&c=34&s=262&ai=89130

This is why I'm happy sticking with COPPER/MODERN books. I can afford them. :shy:

I actually bid on this book up to the 22K range. Man was I off by a bit. Was it pressed into a 9.8 or just resubbed?

The book was not pressed. It was a straight resub in NYC and I believe the book was unpressed even when it was a 9.6.

R.

The book was not pressed. It was a straight resub in NYC and I believe the book was unpressed even when it was a 9.6.

R.

So....did CGC get it wrong the 1st time or the 2nd time?

I could be wrong but my gut tells me it wasn't Tom B.