• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spiderman # 5 hammers at $97,000

91 posts in this topic

If there was any doubt that Spider-man is the TOP super hero

These sales eliminate any such thoughts

Yeah you're right, no Superman related, Batman related, Cap, Flash (GA & SA) books ever sold for more at auction meh

Maybe so, but has a "Superman related, Batman related, Cap, Flash (GA & SA) book" # 5 ever sold for that much at auction?

That's because those books don't exist in that grade.

If an Action Comics #5 showed up in 9.8 condition, it would smash this result to pieces. The Mile High Action #5 has not been graded (and is not likely to obtain a 9.8, but if it did...watch out.)

The Action #7 in 8.0 sold almost 2 years ago for $143,000+. The Mile High #7 would easily, easily triple that. Easily.

If a Detective #31 showed up in this grade, it would destroy that result. If a Tec #31 showed up in 9.0, it would destroy that result. I suspect the 8.0 would easily top the 9.8 Spidey #5.

If even a Superman #5 or Batman #5 showed up in 9.8...yes, quite easily, they'd beat that result.

Let's not get silly. There are dozens...yes, dozens...of Golden Age books that smash an Amazing Spiderman #5 in 9.8, without even needing to attain that lofty grade.

Spidey #1? Not so much.

#5? Easily.

Come on, learn your history before saying silly things like this.. (thumbs u

Well said.

And thank you for saving me the trouble of typing this out. Spidey books do quite well, as they should.

But like you said, lets not get silly.

(thumbs u

Here's one good thing that comes out of resubs like this, where the book is known, and we know no extra work was done to it:

When a book is resubbed, and it comes back a different grade, we have a much, much clearer picture of the actual physical condition of the book.

For example, the Spidey #5. It WAS in a 9.6 case. Now, without looking at it, no one could tell you if that was a weak 9.6/strong 9.4, an average 9.6, or a strong 9.6/weak 9.8.

Now, since it's been resubbed...again, assuming no work was done to it...and it came back a 9.8, we can pretty much conclude it is a weak 9.8/strong 9.6...and come up with a much firmer idea of its value, sans the "intermediate grades."

That book could be resubbed, and easily get either a 9.6 or 9.8, but since we know what it's gotten both those grades on two seperate occasions, the likelyhood that it's really just a weak 9.6/strong 9.4 is very, very small.

In other words, I would be willing to pay MORE for this book if it came back a 9.6 on a third go around than I would another 9.6 that I couldn't look at in person.

Hopefully that makes sense to some of you. ;)

ALL OF THIS provided, of course, that CGC remains consistent, and provided the book doesn't come back in the same grade. If it does, we haven't learned anything special about the book.

Yeah you're right, no Superman related, Batman related, Cap, Flash (GA & SA) books ever sold for more at auction meh

Maybe so, but has a "Superman related, Batman related, Cap, Flash (GA & SA) book" # 5 ever sold for that much at auction?

Has a Spider-Man 7 ever sold as much as an Action 7? Has a Spider-Man 1 ever sold as much as an Action 1, Batman 1, or Superman 1? You can go down the list of ASM books and, more times than not, they're going to lose

Comparing Spiderman 7 with Action 7 is a disingenous comparison b/c Action Comics was not solely a book for Superman. That would be like comparing Amazing Fantasy 15 with Superman 15. A bad comparison.

I don't want to say much more on this subject other than that Spiderman outsells Batman and Superman by a VERY wide margin

The sale of an Amazing Spiderman 5 at almost 6 figure prices shows me that Spiderman is still the TOP dog

So, if Spidey consistently outsells Superman & Batman, prove it

Just look at circulation numbers OR if u have ever worked in a comic book store then u will know that Spidey outsells all other books

Facts are Facts

Please respond to my post, then.

Thanks!

PS: I can't help but notice that you failed to ACTUALLY prove it, as Watcher requested, but simply restated what you said previously. Restating what you say previously is not "proof." Typing "Facts are Facts", even with the second "F" capitalized, is not proof.

Has a Spider-Man 7 ever sold as much as an Action 7? Has a Spider-Man 1 ever sold as much as an Action 1, Batman 1, or Superman 1? You can go down the list of ASM books and, more times than not, they're going to lose

Comparing Spiderman 7 with Action 7 is a disingenous comparison b/c Action Comics was not solely a book for Superman. That would be like comparing Amazing Fantasy 15 with Superman 15. A bad comparison.

I don't want to say much more on this subject other than that Spiderman outsells Batman and Superman by a VERY wide margin

The sale of an Amazing Spiderman 5 at almost 6 figure prices shows me that Spiderman is still the TOP dog

So, if Spidey consistently outsells Superman & Batman, prove it

Just look at circulation numbers OR if u have ever worked in a comic book store then u will know that Spidey outsells all other books

Facts are Facts

Please respond to my post, then.

Thanks!

A kangaroo makes what sound ? meh

I think even the MH Action 5 would have trouble hitting 97K... Id estimate it a 9.4. But If it was a freaky 9.8, well, I dont know what would happen. Id like to think nobody would pony up say 200K for it, but that magic number seems to drive men crazy.

By what reasoning do you think the MH Action #5 would have trouble reaching $97K?

Yes, of course, the #7 is a much bigger key, but....all the Actions from #1-20-ish are quite scarce, and the 8.0 #7...not even a 9, just a lowly 8...outsold the Spidey #5 by nearly $50,000...two years ago.

Provided there are no bad surprises, these are THE mythical books of books, the most important, most sought after run in all of comics.

If the #1 can sell for $2-$3Mil...and most estimates think it can....the #7 and #10 could easily top $500K each, and the other 7 are probably well over 6 figures each.

I just don't see how they would have a hard time selling for those prices.

because the 5 isnt a Superman cover. They are like pre-hero Tecs. Cool as all hell. but 100K book? god I hope not... for a buyer. It would be like (not as bad) Parrino buying the MH Smash#1 9.4 best copy for 50K

Ehhh.....I dunno, part of me agrees because of Supes not on the cover, but a bigger part says Supes is in it, so the more apt comparison would be 'Tec #28, 30, 32, 34....plus, it's the Mile High Actions. Legendary.

Consider this...in the 2008 OPG, #2 was $66K, #3 $44K, $4-6 $25K, #7 $57K, #8-9 $16K, and #10 $36K in "9.2".

We also know that those prices are woefully inadequate when it comes to actual results. Consider the aforementioned #7 in 8.0 selling for $143K....almost 6 times the 2008 guide in that grade.

So, if we say, at a minimum, the Mile Highs would sell for even 4X "high guide"...that puts all the books at or over $100K except #8 and #9, which would be $64K ish.

I dunno, I think 4x Guide is reallly low, in comparison to what they are.

my point boils down to this: you can do all the math, which we all do, and it may makes sense, add up, but, you need a buyer.

IMO, the 8.0 was a perfect storm. Perfect timing. Pent up demand. I think a 9.0 today would sell for right about the same price

I actually bid on this book up to the 22K range. Man was I off by a bit. Was it pressed into a 9.8 or just resubbed?

Pretty sure it was pressed.

I believe it was a 9.6 with OW Pages at the Chicago show at a dealers booth.

I'm not sure it was.

my point boils down to this: you can do all the math, which we all do, and it may makes sense, add up, but, you need a buyer.

IMO, the 8.0 was a perfect storm. Perfect timing. Pent up demand. I think a 9.0 today would sell for right about the same price

I disagree

That Action 7 book was undervalued for a very long time

I compare the Action 7 as similar to Detective 29

Both are very important , long time under-valued books

I actually bid on this book up to the 22K range. Man was I off by a bit. Was it pressed into a 9.8 or just resubbed?

Pretty sure it was pressed.

I believe it was a 9.6 with OW Pages at the Chicago show at a dealers booth.

I'm not sure it was.

I remember looking at this book with a magnifying glass and comparing it to other 9.8's and it was on par with them. It very well may have been a straight re-sub.

I disagree

That Action 7 book was undervalued for a very long time

I compare the Action 7 as similar to Detective 29

Both are very important , long time under-valued books

Undervalued by who? Certainly not Action collectors, just like Tec 29 isn't undervalued by Batman collectors