• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cap #2 CGC 9.2 Ebay Auction.. Legit?

24 posts in this topic

Hmm, all previous sales have been for jewelry and now a 100K comic is being auctioned off hm
:gossip: scam, stolen pics... the buyer is NOT from germany, etc

Who is the Uthe mentioned here? The name sounds familiar and I had a sale to someone in Germany last year that fell through where he actually sent the money but then strange things (can't completely recall what) happened before it got mailed and the next thing I know paypal is advising me in a sideways manner to refund the money, which I did, and never sent the book

Wilhelm Uthe is a notorious scammer, whose fraudulent exploits go back more than a decade. Most of his scams originate in Germany, where he has been imprisoned on occasion, but keeps coming back to steal from comic-book collectors. From what I've read, his earlier scams involved severely over-grading his comics, offering a FN+ copy of something valuable and then mailing the buyer a torn-up, FAIR copy. Later on he used fake bank accounts and addresses to purchase items which never actually got paid for.

I encountered him last year, when he bought some early Mad magazines from me. He paid from an account in Germany, but asked me to mail them to an address in Cincinnati, Ohio. Turned out somebody there had agreed to receive items and re-send them to Germany on his behalf. When my payment was abruptly reversed by eBay (because he used a stolen credit card or other method to pay me), I had no recourse as I'd mailed to an unofficial address. So I tracked down the guy in Cincinnati and told him the whole story, and he mailed me back my magazines. I got an angry email from Uthe, upset that I had interefered with his scamming process. What a creep. At this point I am very reluctant to ever do business with anybody in Germany, for fear it might be this dillweed.

Hmm, all previous sales have been for jewelry and now a 100K comic is being auctioned off hm
:gossip: scam, stolen pics... the buyer is NOT from germany, etc

Who is the Uthe mentioned here? The name sounds familiar and I had a sale to someone in Germany last year that fell through where he actually sent the money but then strange things (can't completely recall what) happened before it got mailed and the next thing I know paypal is advising me in a sideways manner to refund the money, which I did, and never sent the book

Wilhelm Uthe is a notorious scammer, whose fraudulent exploits go back more than a decade. Most of his scams originate in Germany, where he has been imprisoned on occasion, but keeps coming back to steal from comic-book collectors. From what I've read, his earlier scams involved severely over-grading his comics, offering a FN+ copy of something valuable and then mailing the buyer a torn-up, FAIR copy. Later on he used fake bank accounts and addresses to purchase items which never actually got paid for.

I encountered him last year, when he bought some early Mad magazines from me. He paid from an account in Germany, but asked me to mail them to an address in Cincinnati, Ohio. Turned out somebody there had agreed to receive items and re-send them to Germany on his behalf. When my payment was abruptly reversed by eBay (because he used a stolen credit card or other method to pay me), I had no recourse as I'd mailed to an unofficial address. So I tracked down the guy in Cincinnati and told him the whole story, and he mailed me back my magazines. I got an angry email from Uthe, upset that I had interefered with his scamming process. What a creep. At this point I am very reluctant to ever do business with anybody in Germany, for fear it might be this dillweed.

Ohio, yes, it's coming back to me now. Must be the same guy as this one from Germany paid via paypal and then asked to mail to an address here in the states and I remember now it was in cincy. I think I asked the guy in Germany to acknowledge that as the official address in some way and didn't hear back until something said mail before so and so or I will tell paypal to get my money back. His deadline made it too late to send to cincy except overnight and when I asked paypal if they would guarantee it going to dift address they said just refund the money and didn't want to say why they advised that; so I sent it back. created an accounting problem for me as I'd listed the thing as sold for x dollars profit etc and had to redo it, which my biz mgr hated. No wonder i'd buried the memory