• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Owner of the Elektra #25 cvr by Siekiewicz, please contact!! IMPORTANT!!

58 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm trying to contact the owner of this piece:

SienkiewiczElektra25cvrComission.jpg

The former owner had it listed in his CAF gallery as Elektra #25 cover, but it was not used in the cover.

The REAL piece is now auctioned in eBay here.

This is a comparation between the auctioned piece and the published cover:

SienkiewiczElektra25cvrOA.jpg

I want to contact him only to be sure that he bought it knowing that it was not the published piece. If you know him, please, forward this message. Thanks!

Ferran

Interesting. Neither of those two looks like it was the actual published cover. The ink, in particular in the hair and all the guns, is different. Maybe parts of the ink one were used, but it could have easily been lightboxed.

(just trying to scare away bidders... both pieces are SWEET!)

it's obvious that the color piece is most likely a finished preliminary

the b&w piece doesn't look as much as it should like the cover until you realize that the color is done on an overlay and the black lines are fuzzed due to the opacity of the overlay. But if you look closely, the b&w is clearly the piece on the cover

I'd say that the b&w art is the one used in the published cover, but Sienkiewicz retouched some parts by computer like the hair, as he did in the cover of the #23 that I owned for some time. Check this comparation, and you'll see also some differences:

sienkiewiczelektra23cvr.jpg

The another cover of the regular series by Sienkiewicz (#24) was a fusion between two different pieces in b&w also retouched by computer.

My question is why would Sienkiewicz paint a preliminary, only to do a ink piece?

In the past, he did painted versions of b&w pieces by himself, like in this sample:

sienkiewiczmagikcolor.jpg

My bet is that the color version of elektra #25 was another piece of this series. I tried to contact Mitch, but he has still not replied.

I wrote you a mail, Mitch, but it looks like I did to an old adress.

I'm very interested on your opinion about this piece. The seller of the REAL elektra #25 cover just told me that Sienkiewicz told him that he intended to do a painted version of it, but he never saw it.

I'm worried that the buyer of the painted piece didn't know that it was not the published piece, although I'm not sure of this. I only want to check it out.

My opinion is that I don't give a what that cover is.

It doesn't affect me and if the buyer did not do his homework, that's the owners problem, not mine.

I haven't repped Bill is 3 years and it's no concern of mine how he does business.

The sooner people stop asking me to collect their unfinished commissions they paid for years ago, or ask me questions they should be asking his new art dealer, the better I'll be.

End of conversation on this topic for me.

Well, the painting wasn't sold by Sal, but a private collector. I only wished to know some backround story about these painted versions of previously published pieces, but if you don't want to comment them, I have no problem.

In fact, all this item doesn't affect me directly either, but I wanted to give this info to the buyer of the painted version. If he already knew, or simply doesn't care about this, it's ok.

More info on the auctioned piece:

The seller got the piece directly from Sienkiewicz few months after it was published, in 2003. Bill commented him that he intended to do a painted version some day, but he never saw it till now. He also owns a thumbnail prelim of it.

Alot of comic artists ( myself included ) will do the original image in pencil, then do an inked version. Using the inked version under a lightbox you do your painting on a new piece of paper. Once this is done and both are scanned into computer for digital completion you paste / overlay the inks over the color and clean it up.

This leaves you with the following to potentially sell:

pencil preliminary

inked version

color painted version

all of which are technically part of the completed art used on the original cover

This is interesting, and a great way to search for more profit with a single piece, but I'm afraid that this is not the case of the pieces shown here because, as the seller pointed, the inked cover was fully finished before he decided to do a painted version.

From what I know, Sienkiewicz decided to do a series of painted versions to sell directly to collectors, many months after the original pieces were published.

I don't have any problem with this if the pieces clearly show the word "recreation" included on them, or at least, that the seller or reseller WARNS about his fact, which I'm not sure that it was done in this case.

In the case of the elektra #25 cvr recreation, I mean that I'm not sure that the private collector who resold it WARNED of its real status, not Mitch, of course!

As a curiousity, that private collector threatened me with legal actions if I badmouth his name publicity, so I'll be discreet about him.