• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do SIGNATURES hurt the book?

124 posts in this topic

Signatures scrawled in an indecipherable mess, hurt the book...

Too many sigs, hurt the book...

Signatures, properly placed, help the book...

If you are gonna get a CGC SS... why get the sig where you will never see it? The cover is all...

my 2c

I agree signature placement is very important to eye appeal

89957.jpg.882cff45481070998f4f7de9564d2be9.jpg

89958.jpg.3a79fe906668d0e9a6d4767537d34c40.jpg

89959.jpg.40ee6de6a0c367821e65aca52f4d8066.jpg

89960.jpg.4b781c40fb6125bbb5fcf9d8f6f799da.jpg

89961.jpg.55b0b55943c64b9ba0c5f4f1fad2c98a.jpg

i have inside cover signed books. don't ask me which ones or to find them though, lost in the boxes. i usually buy them not knowing they are signed and then i notice it while reading, and then forget as soon as i put it away. i would prefer signatures on the cover just so i remember better or stumble upon it easier when going through my boxes. i would probably also get it personalized if i were getting it signed in person. i can only imagine how old it gets for those creators to have people lining up for generic sigs on books that will go directly to cgc and then ebay. i would probably refuse to sign or start charging after enough "proof photos" came my way. they are people too.

but yeah, sig on the cover

I think a well placed sig on modern books is alright but when I see books that have survived 30+ years with sharpie scribbles on the cover I just want to cry. Some nice gems that are forever ruined in my opinion.

How many Stan Lee sigs are there? I like the guy but he has one of the most unattractive sigs I've seen. No eye appeal at all but that's me. :shrug:

Guys is there a expert on the boards who can tell me if the ink from a marker or pen can damage a book overtime? that's the only real concern I have.

I would hope that CGC witnesses always use Archival sharpies.

If I ever submit another book to be signed on the cover....I will be requesting the use of soft tip pencil.

Guys is there a expert on the boards who can tell me if the ink from a marker or pen can damage a book overtime? that's the only real concern I have.

I just did a quick check of the Sharpie website, and they do make pens with archival-quality ink. I don't know if people are using them to do SS, but if not, they should.

I just did a quick check of the Sharpie website, and they do make pens with archival-quality ink. I don't know if people are using them to do SS, but if not, they should.

Can I order directly from them?

Can I order directly from them?

Probably. I'm not going to register and sign in to find out, but they sell personalized ones, so my guess would be yes.

Sharpies

Do a search there for 'archival ink', it'll take you the right pens.

IN my opinion as long the sig is placed well and unobtrosive, almost like the way and artist signs his own work then I'm all for CGC SS series.

If I by SS books or get signitures, which isn't very often, I do it because I want the sig. In this case I would be very reluctant to have a key book signed but a less important book in his/her portfolio.