• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any witnesses going to the Anaheim show?

16 posts in this topic

I was sorta kidding about skipping C2E2, but maybe I should skip C2E2 and go to Anaheim. Maybe fingerprint.ink can cover Anaheim and I can spend the cash to fly to Chicago. By January, we should know who will be covering this show and will post once we've got everything official and approved with CGC.

Joel

I was sorta kidding about skipping C2E2, but maybe I should skip C2E2 and go to Anaheim. Maybe fingerprint.ink can cover Anaheim and I can spend the cash to fly to Chicago. By January, we should know who will be covering this show and will post once we've got everything official and approved with CGC.

Joel

Right now the WW folks and the C2E2 folks are in a battle royale for guests and it's not looking great for the WW people.

As was demonstrated at the WW Chicago show last year, when Dark Horse, Marvel, DC and Image all bailed on the show their shows are not what they once were.

Reed (who run the NYCC and C2E2) have run some great shows in NYC and are nabbing all the top guests. It would not shock me to find out between now and April that several of the potential Anaheim guest have changed their mind and are coming to Chicago.

WW New York moved it's show to the exact same weekend as the Reed NYCC in October. Reed has a huge leg up in NY given their last 3 shows and their success.

If I had to put money down on which shows will have better guest lists, more publishers, and more overall sig opportunities I would have to go with Reed's NYC and Chicago shows.

But that's just my opinion. ;)

Best,

Chris

As my sig line says.. I need Fabry

I hope atleast one witness makes it out to Cali.

Ballzy of WW going head to head with the other major cons.. stupid but ballzy

WW bought a relatively profitable New York show in the Big Apple Con, then they immediately moved their 2010 date to be on the same weekend as Reed's NYCC.

That's like buying a cherry vintage car and immediately parking it in the path of an oncoming express train.

You don't have to wait for the impact to know the outcome.

WW bought a relatively profitable New York show in the Big Apple Con, then they immediately moved their 2010 date to be on the same weekend as Reed's NYCC.

Actually, the show organizer of the National show, which Wizard bought, had announced early in 2009 that the 2009 show was going to be his last show. Wizard then bought it, renamed it, and moved the location and actually increased the amount of people. Now, granted, most of those people were autograph guests, and not really comic guests, and Jim Lee was already committed to the show when it was still the National, but still, Wizard put "their brand" on it and pulled off a show.

It's been clear to me that Wizard is enjoying this relatively new revenue stream of the autograph guests and that's the direction they are taking their conventions. Yes, they still publish a comics magazine and have some comic guests at their shows, but when you look at their guest lists, advertisements, floor map assignments, etc, Wizard is becoming, in my opinion, an autograph show. So, those shows can exist alongside a comic convention. As long as they are not kidding themselves in thinking comic guests would pick WW New York over the Reed NY show.

As for Anaheim, I bet there are a number of guests (some of which Wizard already signed up) that don't want to make the trip to Chicago and the expense of going, when a somewhat local option presents itself. Other guests, such as Brian Michael Bendis, have already voiced their disapproval and pulled out of going to either show.

Unfortunately, Reed just upped their game and Diamond announced today that the Retailer Summit, normally attached to either the Baltimore Comic Con, or Las Vegas, is going to be before the C2E2 in Chicago, which gives me one more reason to go to Chicago. However, I am pretty sure someone in a CGC Witnessing capacity will be available for Anaheim.

As my sig line says.. I need Fabry

I hope atleast one witness makes it out to Cali.

Ballzy of WW going head to head with the other major cons.. stupid but ballzy

That's like buying a cherry vintage car and immediately parking it in the path of an oncoming express train.

You don't have to wait for the impact to know the outcome.

Or like scheduling your wedding on Christmas day