• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the strongest foreign markets for back issue comics?

26 posts in this topic

Maybe Australia? (they speak English there)

Sort of.

:roflmao:

Let me guess .......... Convict English ......... right?

Wait a minute, wait a minute - I resemble those remarks !! :taptaptap:

English very much spoken here - though others who claim it as their mother tongue have very strange, rather harsh accents.

Followed by the UK (even though the UK has a much larger population than Canada).

Shipping kills us. And most collectors have never heard of CGC as we have no LCSs to sell them

I hope one day soon CGC comes to the U.K I know many collectors who have tons of high grade comics that wouldnt mind having them slabbed but wont even take the risk of sending them to the US for fear of them being lost,stolen,damaged etc. It would be interesting to see how they would be welcomed over here in general.

I think they would make a killing over here as a lot of people would sub more books. I don't think it's the fear of loss/damage, just the additional cost of international shipping.

It'll never happen though unfortunately. We're firmly second class over here when it comes to comic books.

I've shipped books to Australia, Germany, Italy, Spain and Brazil but have never had any buyers from Japan, France or Mexico.

I find odd that JAPAN is not a huge market for comics given:

1. the Japanese love for American pop culture, and all things American

2. Japanese economic power

3. Japanese appreciation for animation (i.e. manga, etc.)

4. US influence on Japan following the end of WW-II

5. Japanese appetite for foreign investments

I know what you mean. Maybe it's something to do with Japan having a very strong, pervasive, idiosyncratic and beloved comics scene of their own. Maybe they've generally (in the past) found Western-style comics unappealing?

I think this is exactly why. I've never seen any interest in Japan in vintage American comic books. However, the vintage Japanese comic market is very strong and always has been.