• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age reading room.

97 posts in this topic

Another SA D.C. book I've never seen. Cool cover. I'm a big Meskin fan too. Some of my favorite is his work on Black Terror...but his D.C. Sci-Fi and Fantasy stuff is a very close second. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Moreira cover ?

I would have said Moriera, but I looked it up and it isn't. Any other guesses?

Just read X-Men #60, which may be pushing it for Silver Age status (Sept, 1969). I'll be brief:

1st appearance and origin of Sauron, which I had never read before. Other than that, not much to really report. Neal Adams artwork is a plus, but the villian doesn't run into the X-Men until the end of the story. The only real action sequence is in the danger room. Jean and Lorna Dane have a little fun with the boys and show them that the fairer sex may not be as weak as they think.

OK, back to 12-cent covers ...

Metal Men #18.

In an effort to get Tin to pay more attention to Nameless, Tina takes her in to the auto shop for a complete makeover. Doesn't work, as Tin is still playing cards with Doc & the Men. What does get their attention is the giant dinosaur robot that has attacked the team. Little do they know that this robot dinosaur is actually a spaceship sent to Earth to retrieve Doc and Tina (Transformer prototype issue?).

The inept dinosaur accidently brings the entire team back to the alien planet. The maker of said robot wants Tina for his own (I guess I never realized when I was younger how hot the robot women in the Metal Men were, because they seem to be getting a lot of attention lately).

The alien makes a robot double of Doc and places his own "responsometer" in the imposter in an effort to win over Tina. She doesn't buy it. Then the alien transfers his own consciousness into the real Doc. She doesn't buy it. Good thing the rest of the team was there, 'cause they save the day and prevent Doc from getting dropped into the smelter.

I coincidentally picked up a Metal Men, a couple of weeks ago. I am not a DC collector, so buying MM#27 was an act of curiousity. The story within (origin) wasn't as interesting as your recounting of #18, but it did stress the Metal Men's team spirit and willingness to sacrifice themselves for others.

MM27F.jpg

What I found most interesting was the great number of house ads. So I thought I'd post them so others can get a feel for DC "product" in 1967.

MM27HA1-1.jpg

MM27HA2.jpg

MM27HA3.jpg

MM27HA4.jpg

MM27HA5.jpg

"The Giant Turtle Olsen" :applause:

MM27HA1-1.jpg

The thing I really like about Metal Men was the "relationship" between Doc and Platinum. There were times when Doc showed more warmth than "get your cold fingers off me"! In fact, their's was one of SA DC's most interesting human interest threads.

Here's something DC will be solicited in March for a May release that I will in all likelihood get. I have been curious about this ever since I read about it but it was never conveniently collected -

"ATOMIC KNIGHTS HC

Advance-solicited - On sale MAY 19 - 192 pg, FC $39.99 US

Written by JOHN BROOME

Art and cover by MURPHY ANDERSON

In a post-apocalyptic future, the Atomic Knights protect the surviving citizens against threats of all sorts in tales from STRANGE ADVENTURES #117, 120, 123, 126, 129, 132, 135, 136, 138, 141, 144, 147, 150, 153 156 and 160. Collected here for the first time! "

Here's something DC will be solicited in March for a May release that I will in all likelihood get. I have been curious about this ever since I read about it but it was never conveniently collected -

"ATOMIC KNIGHTS HC

Written by JOHN BROOME

In a post-apocalyptic future, the Atomic Knights protect the surviving citizens against threats of all sorts in tales from STRANGE ADVENTURES #117, 120, 123, 126, 129, 132, 135, 136, 138, 141, 144, 147, 150, 153 156 and 160. Collected here for the first time! "

Bravo - It doesn't get much better than the Atomic Knights for me. It is pure goodness in storytelling and art.

"ATOMIC KNIGHTS HC

Written by JOHN BROOME

Bravo - It doesn't get much better than the Atomic Knights for me. It is pure goodness in storytelling and art.

YES.....Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

I got some great SA stuff for Xmas (courtesy of Greggy and my family). So far, I have managed to knock out:

ASM Masterworks Vol. 3 (21-30). - Gotta say, some of this stuff is just awful. But, in a charming way. The Spidey mythos does start to take some shape at this point, but still cheesy to the max. They do take alot longer to get thru than a current book though. Battle sequences are pretty good though, usually lasting more than a two pages. Nice Ditko artwork, corny plots, corny dialogue. Lots of Pater/Aunt May/Betty Brany melodrama. Would've been interesting to see how things would've been different if they all didn't walk on eggshells regarding everyone elses feelings. Overall grade: B

FF Masterworks Vol. 2 (11-20) - Man, this stuff will make you want to stab your eyes out. Lee turned up the SA cheese factor to the maximum in this little run. Talking to the fans? Impossible Man? Hulk vs. FF battle was decent, but not as great I thought it would be. Issue #13 was probably the "highlight" with the Watcher intro. And we do get another battle with Doom (and while #16 has the better cover, #17 was actually the more enjoyable book). Of course, bonus points for (like Spidey) starting to really lay the groundwork. I actually prefer the Ditko inks in #13 over Ayers inks over the rest of the run. This was a tough one to get thru. Overall Grade: C-

FF Masterworks Vol. 8 (72-81) - Finally! We get to the really good stuff. IMO, the height of the Kirby/Lee collaboration. By this point, Sinnott had (thankfully, mercifully) took over the inking and his finishes really give you that clasic Kirby feel. Great covers, great storylines. The "Worlds within World" arc (74-77) is probably my second favorite storyline (behind 57-60). Awesome artwork and story. Loads of "cosmic kirby" art. A little heavy on the melodrama with Sue's pregnancy. But, all in all, fantastic stuff. This is what I think of when I think "Silver Age". Overall Grade: A+

That's all for now. I'll post some more once I get thru a few more volumes.

I'm ashamed to admit that I've never read the first Silver Surfer story arc (FF 48-50). :sorry: So I decided today to rectify that and finally read it.

I have to say, I don't care at all for the way the surfer is drawn in his first few panels in 48 and 49.

91620.jpg

Also, don't care for Galactus' red & green costume when he first appears at the end of 48.

91619.jpg

But those are minor qualms. It is a great story with some great Kirby artwork! An absolute classic.

And if we are giving grades... A+! (thumbs u

I have to say, I don't care at all for the way the surfer is drawn in his first few panels in 48 and 49

Great stuff, but still relatively early in the "Sinnott" run. Here's a few scans from my "Volume 8 review" (when Stan/Jack/Joe were really hitting their stride)...

FF#72 (Surfer here is "night and day" compared to #48 Surfer):

FF72splash.jpg

And, for additional comparison, Galactus:

FF74splash.jpg

I'm ashamed to admit that I've never read the first Silver Surfer story arc (FF 48-50). :sorry: So I decided today to rectify that and finally read it.

I have to say, I don't care at all for the way the surfer is drawn in his first few panels in 48 and 49.

Also, don't care for Galactus' red & green costume when he first appears at the end of 48.

91619.jpg

I agree these issues are classic.

I've always been bothered that in this world-devouring entity's first appearance (above) he has a big letter G on his chest. (Superman anyone?)

I've always been moved by Alicia's entire encounter with the Silver Surfer that runs through issue #49. It caps with some eloquence from Stan Lee on the last page. (below). And Alicia's lines become the turning point for many characters who would appear in this title, especially the Silver Surfer. It is poignant to me that the physically weakest character in the story should utter the lines with the most power over the story's outcome.

"According to the radio, the entire planet is in the gravest danger,

but I have the strangest feeling that you somehow possess the power to save us."

ff49_last-page.jpg

It was the absence of this cosmic-sized drama from the second FF movie which ruined it. I will always hate the second FF movie. Galactus as cloud of gas. The Watcher, who is so pivotal to the plot of FF 48-through 50, missing in action. Arrrrgh!

I have to say, I don't care at all for the way the surfer is drawn in his first few panels in 48 and 49

Great stuff, but still relatively early in the "Sinnott" run. Here's a few scans from my "Volume 8 review" (when Stan/Jack/Joe were really hitting their stride)...

FF72splash.jpg

nice splash (thumbs u I've always been on the fence when choosing between a Kirby or John Buscema Surfer :insane:

I've always been on the fence when choosing between a Kirby or John Buscema Surfer :insane:

I've always been a Buscema Surfer fan. :shy:

Read Amazing Spider-man Annual 1 this weekend. Hadn't read it in many years. A fun story featuring six major villains Spider-man had faced up to that point in his series (with a nice full-page splash of each of them fighting Spidey).

But what I like most are all of the cameos.

91981.jpg

Of course, this is nothing new for Marvel. They were cross-promoting back in the Golden Age. I remember reading a Captain America story where Bucky is reading a Timely comic and commenting how great it was.

After Atomic Knights, DC will roll this out in June :banana:

THE VIKING PRINCE BY JOE KUBERT HC

Advance-solicited - On sale JUNE 30 - 296 pg, FC, $39.99 US

Written by ROBERT KANIGHER and BOB HANEY

Art and cover by Joe Kubert

In fifth century Iceland, an amnesiac Viking warrior faces peril from the ruler of a neighboring village, as well as giants, sea monsters, witches and more.

Collecting classic adventure tales from THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD #1-5, 7-20, and OUR ARMY AT WAR #162 and 163.

FF72splash.jpg

nice splash (thumbs u I've always been on the fence when choosing between a Kirby or John Buscema Surfer :insane:

I like Kirbys Sufter rather than Buscema's IMHO.....kirby's is a little bit more streamline maybe....

FF72splash.jpg

I like Kirbys Sufter rather than Buscema's IMHO.....kirby's is a little bit more streamline maybe....

If you don't already have it, don't forget to put the Fireside edition of the Lee Kirby Silver Surfer graphic novel on your list....one of the earliest Marvel graphic novels and one of the coolest Surfer stories. Published in 1978, I believe. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u