• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age reading room.

97 posts in this topic

Enough of the exclusive clubs and fetishistic idol worshiping. :baiting:

What Silver Age comics are you currently reading?

In the last week, I sampled some Human Torch stories in Strange Tales 101, 107, and 114. More enjoyable that I would have thought. Of the three issues, 114 was the best. A little sparse on backgrounds, but that's okay. Beautiful, clean Kirby/Ayers artwork. And how many SA comics have a cool 60s Ferrari in them? :D

89974.jpg

I've also been reading some Spider-man comics. Re-read the first three Green Goblin stories (14, 17, 23). But there's a little too much teenage drama for me. So now I'm reading the first Kingpin story arc in 50-52 for the first time. Much better. Guess I'm a Romita fan. :/ Plus, Peter is older and there's not as much silly teenage drama.

ASM 50 is a classic Spider-man story. They say that Kingpin in one bad mutha... shut your mouth! Just talkin' 'bout Kingpin. And he's got a badass pimp cane. ;)

89975.jpg

ASM 51 and 52 continue the storyline. In 51, Kingpin defeats Spider-man with another handy-dandy gadget when Spider-man destroys his pimp cane.

Reading issue 52 now. :popcorn: It's not looking too good for Spider-man and J Jonah Jameson.

I picked up these Millie the Model comics at the next-to-last CLink auction. Books sold pretty cheaply that first night and my "take a shot at it" bids held up. (This was good because shipping to Canada cost the same as all three books.)

I wanted the books for my collection but I also bought because I intended to crack the slabs, read the books and see first hand what CGC meant, in this case, by 7.0, 7.5 and 8.0. (I found the differences to be subtle.) I also wanted the opportunity to look at paper quality. Here, comparing OW to W with OW. (OW did look distinctly more "yellow" to me compared to OW to W.)

I am going to post front and back scans because two out of the three back covers display ads that you don't see on the superhero or western books.

Millie the Model #125, December 1964. (September 1964, newsstand.) CGC 8.0

MtM125FDec64CGC80.jpg

MtM125RDec64CGC80.jpg

Millie the Model #131, October 1965. (July 1965, newsstand.) CGC 7.0

MtM131FOct65CGC70.jpg

MtM131ROct65CGC70.jpg

There are several long, mostly non-colour breaking, creases that run vertically down the left side of the back cover that help make this a 7.0.

Millie the Model #133, December 1965. (September 1965, newsstand.) CGC 7.5

MtM133FDec65CGC75.jpg

MtM133RDec65CGC75.jpg

The books are an interesting read. All Marvel's teen titles (Millie the Model; Modeling with Millie; Patsy Walker; and, Patsy and Hedy) are undergoing a subtle shift in genre which is just about complete by mid-1964 as they leave behind the "Archie" teen world and take on very obvious soap opera themes. You can still see some of the more "comic" elements in the colophon in the top left corner of the cover to #125. Millie features are more girlish and she is wearing a tiara. By #131, Millie's features are more sophisticated (read: mature) and the tiara is gone.

MillietheModelColophons.jpg

And though I have only these three issues as examples, I note a change in cover colour pallet as the pastels in #125 give way to richer deeper colour hues in #131 and #133.

The covers, themselves, lay out very clearly the conflicts in the stories, whose roots almost always lie in a misunderstanding of some sort. Lack of communication leads to misunderstanding and resolution lies in heart-to-heart conversation and a confirmation of friendship. These are feel-good stories that, though formulaic, teach heart-felt lessons.

Currently finishing up Iron Man from his TOS run and continuing into his own book.

I always find it interesting to watch the Marvel editorial/writing change from very early to mid 1960's anti-communist stuff, to the later 1960's and early 1970's political stuff involving pollution, Civil Rights, Vietnam, and campus unrest. For an example, around Iron Man issue #30 or so, fan letters start trickling in questioning Tony Stark's role as a Military weapons manufacturer, whereas for almost ten years of publication the inventing and manufacturing of munitions seemed to be a highly esteemed thing to do.

This is not meant to imply any personal views on these subjects, I just find it impossible not to notice the shift. I may not be able to travel back in time, but reading a run of old comics sometimes comes close. Kinda.

Cool thread, by the way.

I, too, have been re-enjoying the Torch stories from Strange Tales. I just read the Acrobat story where Johnny discovers that he's been attempting to conceal his identity while the entire world knows that he's the Human Torch. It's a classic!

As for everyday reading, I have my reading run of Fantastic Four and my Essentials in easy reach by my recliner in Comicland. I just grab a comic randomly sometimes.

I always find it interesting to watch the Marvel editorial/writing change from very early to mid 1960's anti-communist stuff, to the later 1960's and early 1970's political stuff involving pollution, Civil Rights, Vietnam, and campus unrest.

I noticed this, also. I'm reading the third Kingpin story arc in ASM 68-69. Much different tone than the previous arc in 59-61. Campus rioting, fighting "The Establishment", and the civil rights movement.

Cool thread, by the way.

Thanks. (thumbs u

I'm currently reading ASM Marvel Masterworks vol. 1 for a class I'll be teaching the next 3 weeks. It's turning out to be a very different way of reading these books as I'm also trying to develop study guides for them.

While it feels like I'm sanitizing the books to an extent by treating them academically, I'm also seeing more depth in them by approaching them from this angle. Good stuff!

Can I mention a book about Comics? hm

I've been reading Marvel Comics in the 1960's: An issue by issue field guide to a Pop Culture Phenomenon by Pierre Comtois.

Interesting information behind the scenes plus breakdown's of the stories which made Marvel great. A fun read. (thumbs u (thumbs u

I just got through reading an Alter Ego that I just picked up at the LCS...# 18 I think, with a Stan Goldberg interview...it covers his memories and reminiscences about Atlas /Marvel from 1949 to the late 70's....a whole lot of 60's stuff. I :cloud9: stuff like this. He was the colorist and a production artist and had a front row seat for the creation of the Marvel universe. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. He said it was very possible that George Klein inked FF 1 and that it was also very possible that Chris Rule may have assisted...he was a good buddy with George and occasionally tag teamed a story.

I just got through reading an Alter Ego that I just picked up at the LCS...# 18 I think, with a Stan Goldberg interview...it covers his memories and reminiscences about Atlas /Marvel from 1949 to the late 70's....a whole lot of 60's stuff. I :cloud9: stuff like this. He was the colorist and a production artist and had a front row seat for the creation of the Marvel universe. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. He said it was very possible that George Klein inked FF 1 and that it was also very possible that Chris Rule may have assisted...he was a good buddy with George and occasionally tag teamed a story.

Not sure if there is bigger bang for your buck than AE. I picked up a huge lot (the first 70 issues - although I had several already, just too good to pass up). Absolutely wonderful information (thumbs u

I've been reading Marvel Comics in the 1960's: An issue by issue field guide to a Pop Culture Phenomenon by Pierre Comtois.

Interesting information behind the scenes plus breakdown's of the stories which made Marvel great. A fun read. (thumbs u (thumbs u

I'm reading it now + its freakin' excellent!! A must for any Marvel fan :cloud9:(worship):takeit:

Millie the Model #131, October 1965. (July 1965, newsstand.) CGC 7.0

MtM131FOct65CGC70.jpg

While they may have made Millie a bit more mature and contemporary in late 1965, it wasn't deemed appropriate to receive the "PopArt Productions" monikor that Marvel gave to the majority of its' superhero and war line:

FF43.jpg

There doesn't seem to be a rationale to using the Pop Art colophon.

Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Journey into Mystery, Sgt. Fury, Tales to Astonish and X-Men sported the new "image".

Strange Tales and Tales of Suspense, of the superhero line, did not.

None of the westerns (Kid Colt Outlaw, Rawhide Kid, Two-Gun Kid) did.

None of the teen titles (Millie the Model, Modeling with Millie, Patsy Walker, Patsy and Hedy) did.

I tend to think that the decision was somewhat ad hoc --- almost coming as quickly as it left.

This is a cover scan of my rather well-loved copy of Journey into Mystery #119, August 1965 (June 1965, newsstand).

JIM119FAug65.jpg

Now take a look at a house ad from Strange Tales #136, September, 1965 (June 1965, newsstand). Interesting, is it not?

HouseAdST136Sep65.jpg

p.s. nice copy of FF 43.

Is the book available on Amazon ?

I like full date stamps, too. They pinpoint the comic in history. One can imagine the store clerk kneeling beside the just freshly cut bundle of comics stamping one after another and them placing them on the old wooden newsstand.