• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jungle Comics survivor series

51 posts in this topic

Alright, so that's what I thought was going on ... but I still would have preferred a more uniform look since the serpent / snake is also "slickly" rendered and inked. I guess in this particular case, the attempt at showcasing how rugged / muscular / manly Ka'a'nga is a little too jarring for my tastes. Look up at the previous cover where the heroine is hoisted up in the air in the arms of a villain. The same contrast is at play but the texture / cross-hatching on the villain is more muted and achieves a better effect IMO.

Thanks for the post (thumbs u

OK,

Since I'm a professional commercial illustrator, who went to school, and has suffered the stings and arrows, I'll venture an opinion.

To make the female look smooth and delicate, deliniation was kept to a minimum. Accentuate the curves. Little hatching and shading. Concentrate on the line.

To make the male look muscular and manly, all sorts of hatching and cross- hatching were employed. Make him angular and tough.

This creates the contrast they wanted,

As for the bad male anatomy, which I agree occures, and the nice female anatomy, who knows? They knew sales were mostly because of the woman, and they focused on that.

I think Fiction House also used multiple artist on a splash or cover. Didn't Lily Renee specialize on drawing the female figure?

bb

Alright, so that's what I thought was going on ... but I still would have preferred a more uniform look since the serpent / snake is also "slickly" rendered and inked. I guess in this particular case, the attempt at showcasing how rugged / muscular / manly Ka'a'nga is a little too jarring for my tastes. Look up at the previous cover where the heroine is hoisted up in the air in the arms of a villain. The same contrast is at play but the texture / cross-hatching on the villain is more muted and achieves a better effect IMO.

Thanks for the post (thumbs u

In this cover from issue 101 from my collection, you'll notice the figures are more intergrated. The girl has some rendering, giving her some volume. :) If it's a photo swipe from a Betty Page layout or such, it's not obvious.

Ka'a'nga is similiarly rendered so the two look like they're in the same picture. His proportions are pretty good, unlike like some covers where he looks like he has a head the size of a baseball.

jungle101.jpg

The thread prompted me to go back and read my Jungle # 33. The (good) surprise story was the final one: Camilla by Nick Cardy:

Jungle Girl + T-Rex + Cardy = :cloud9:

... speaking of Camilla this is from issue #4......anyone know the artist?

Chuck Winter, right?