• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feature Book reproductions

15 posts in this topic

I know there are modern reproductions of many early Feature Books, but I don't know much about them.

Does anyone have information on what issues were reprinted, when they were released, and how to tell a reproduction from an original?

Thanks!

Whoa! Slow down with all those replies. I can't keep up. :baiting:

A friend has a copy of a Terry and the Pirates Feature Book reproduction. He tells me that the interior clearly says:

"© Chicago Tribune - Very Limited Edition - Reprint 1983 Tony Raiola - PO Box 14361 - Long Beach - CA 90803".

So that kind of answers my questions, although I'm still curious which issues were reproduced.

A friend has a copy of a Terry and the Pirates Feature Book reproduction. He tells me that the interior clearly says:

"© Chicago Tribune - Very Limited Edition - Reprint 1983 Tony Raiola - PO Box 14361 - Long Beach - CA 90803".

So that kind of answers my questions, although I'm still curious which issues were reproduced.

Is this in your range of interest?

Large Feature Comic 11 1982 D ick Tracy, Chicago Tribune Very Limited Edition Reprint, 8.5" x 11.25"

Jack

Is this in your range of interest?

Large Feature Comic 11 1982 D ick Tracy, Chicago Tribune Very Limited Edition Reprint, 8.5" x 11.25"

Jack

So I guess the Large Feature Comics were reproduced, too. Thanks for mentioning that. Good to know. I have an email in to Tony Raiola to get more details.

I really wish these companies would include the repo statement on the outside. This is just inviting fraud via ebay et al.

Mark.. that's a good point. Actually, that's what got me to thinking about these reproductions. I picked up a Feature Book 14 on ebay a couple days ago and was concerned that it may be a reproduction. I'm glad they say 'reprint' inside at least. It's better than nothing.

In talking to Tony, it sounds like he only produced one Popeye book (the Feature Book #3 posted by BOOT, I assume). He did a Terry and the Pirates, "many" D ick Tracys, two Phantoms, and three Mandrakes. 1000 copies of each book were printed. I would really like a complete checklist of what books were printed.. I'll ask for more details.

I heard about this problem after I had purchased some Feature Books and Jumbo 2. I didn't think any of the books that I have are in good enough condition to be reprints but I went back to check anyway. Feature Book 1 is in really good condition but it seems original. I doubt if they would reprint that one. The Tracy and Terry and the Pirates have been reprinted and look pretty good. I could use that Popeye FB 3 just to read.

BB

Tony was around at San Diego Comic Con either this year or last still selling reprints or new material of various types. I've been buying material from him occasionally going back to the mid90s. It looks like you can contact him directly with your question if this website is correct.

http://www.pacificcomics.com/

tony@pacificcomics.com