• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF's - Softness in the Market?

13 posts in this topic

Is anyone else seeing the softness on FF's (post 1964 only)? There seems to be a great deal of books on eBay with reasonable (but not bargain basement) type prices and BIN's.

Example:

Fantastic Four #66

This book failed to get a bid last week at $159.00 (and is being relisted). confused.gif

The last six sales of this book in the same grade were all higher than $180.00. 893whatthe.gif

Do you think it's because of the flood of these books (on eBay and ComicLink)?

I think everyone was holding on to them and getting them graded to sell this Spring/Summer/Fall.

Sounds like a plan, but if everyone does this all at once... foreheadslap.gif

Is anyone else seeing the softness on FF's (post 1964 only)? There seems to be a great deal of books on eBay with reasonable (but not bargain basement) type prices and BIN's.

I've been harping on how I don't think there are a lot of movie-hype speculators buying up FFs, because the later issues would have experienced a bit of a surge (like late Silver & Bronze Spideys did 2-3 years ago). Right now, its mostly collectors fueling the buying, and since there are a lot more later issues available for public consumption, those are the ones that get to sit until the interest level really picks up.

If you don't have the money or inclination to try and chase the early issues, you can find many bargains from # 58-114 on eBay and elsewhere.

Only thing I can think of is, like you said, and abundance of this book on eBay as of late. Also, it seems like a fairly common issue. I always see it at shows. I'd bet that most collectors have this issue already (great cover!), and may not need an upgrade right now.

As far as other books go, I think your's did quite well yesterday. laugh.gif

Chris

As far as other books go, I think your's did quite well yesterday.

Oddly enough, my sales of late Silver FFs tend to be above average when compared to the eBay norm. Maybe people like me or something. crazy.gif

And yes, I had three books BINed last night. Yay for me!

Hello Sfilosa

Yes, I can detect some "softness" for FF Issues. Many are priced close to the same ranges as last year, but fewer bids IMO - I keep track of eBay sales via an easy count - Category Silver Age Comics then have the Titles I collect - the pages of FF went WAY down during the Christmas Season, down to 5 pages - the first time I ever saw them get that low. Today it is around 20, close to it's range. The sales are not happening, and this is probably upsetting many Sellers. Is the upcoming FF movie have anything to do with this? I cannot say for certain. I can say that I had an aquaintance tell me that the production has started SET-UP in Vancouver, B.C. January 22. So as the time for the movie post-production is in gear, I think the sales will get back to what we are used to seeing. hi.gif

Yes, I can detect some "softness" for FF Issues. Many are priced close to the same ranges as last year, but fewer bids

Based on comments that I have read on this board, and my own changing collecting habits:

It seems that collectors are waking up to the fact that many mid to late Silver-Age books are really in plentiful supply (even in high-grade). My guess / theory is that many collectors realize that they need to buy the early issues now and seem to be selling off the later issues to raise capital.

Also, as is the case with any type of investment (and I'm not saying everyone is buying for investment purposes), once the investment stops increasing, it's time to sell and move to another investment (which could be early, harder to find issues).

Just a thought here, but I noticed that SOME collectors I am familiar with are now( or temporarily) dabbling in Promotional comics, Platinum Era comics, and when the rare auction has the High-Grade Silver, scarf that up too. As I track certain eBay pages for specific comic Titles, the pages are slowly growing, but the High-Grades are just too high, many have Reserves set, and things are moving to a "wait-for-the-next-movie" mode...What do you guys think??? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've noticed a lot of high reserves as well. I think these are either reluctant, rookie sellers or folks who are merely flipping recent acquisitions and want to protect the price they paid for the book.