• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark jewler Inserts

38 posts in this topic

I know about these and have two questions if anybody has the nawers:

1) Is any comic with a Mark Jewler Ad a Variant? tha tis were they ever put in any ussues across the board?

2) On a stand alone basis do they actually ad any value to the affected comics?

I consider them to be Bronze Age variants - I have seen different kinds of jeweler inserts and Beyonder showed us that Mennen insert.

Do they add value? Many have attributed the stiffness of the insert actually acting like a backing board in helping to preserve the comic inits days swimming around in the 25 cent bin, but I have plenty of GDs with the insert as well. Maybe in high grade they would be something of an addition but paying extra just for a copy with one? Nah...they are just neat to pick up. I also have been contemplating the "whitman/Direct diamond price logos" and wondered if there are any with Mark Jewelers inserts in them. The ones I have are too early in the 70s...they have the insert but not the diamond price box logo

I know about these and have two questions if anybody has the nawers:

1) Is any comic with a Mark Jewler Ad a Variant? tha tis were they ever put in any ussues across the board?

2) On a stand alone basis do they actually ad any value to the affected comics?

Hope this helps. Most of it has been addressed before in other threads.

1) I don't know of any books for which the entire print run had the insert, although I do have recollections of an unusually large number of a couple of 1977-78 books showing up on the stands with the ads in them. I want to say one was an issue of Marvel Premiere, but I can't recall for sure. JC? Anyone?

2) Through my site, I have been contacted by a few collectors who actively seek these issues out. However, my impression is they are rarely willing to pay a premium, with one or two exceptions. What is interesting, is that the value of the insert issues, across the print run, is, on average, more (in contrast, I don't think they increase significanly on an individual basis). The reason for this is the ad serves as a built in backing board, making it not uncommon for what were undoubtedly well-read issues showing up in F-VF condition.

I don't know if you've read my posts on this before, but I know of one collector who found a large number of 30 cent variants WITH the insert. The collector called them "variants of variants".

I don't know if you've read my posts on this before, but I know of one collector who found a large number of 30 cent variants WITH the insert. The collector called them "variants of variants".

That's interesting as the inserts were only sold on military bases. If these do exist, I'd say they are very scarce as I'd assume they were only sold on a base in the variant experiment region. But even that doesn't sound right....as the logistics of including an insert in a limited run seems not worth the trouble.....

Jim

While the variants were intended for military bases,I think many were sold to the general public. I've picked up many a collection that were supposed to be 'original owner,off the rack" types that have contained an odd Mark Jewelers or two. When I went thru my old store stock looking for price variants I found a few inserts but no variants.

Does anyone know the definitive distrubution patterns for these?

Paul's website points out a few. I've been tracking wins and sellers and locations for the past year of variants and emailing local shops in those areas...I have some empirical evidence but no official corroboration from the Marvel. Other collector here also have their sources but probably will not be divulging until they fell those areas have been mined throughly... New York, upstate and Down, is definitely not a distributuion area from either '76 or '77 variants

There was an Amazing 129 with a Mark Jewelers variant on eBay a while back, also an Amazing 136. I've sold an Amazing 128.

From Tom Gordon's old website, these are known to have MJ variant:

DC: Action Comics #444, Adventure Comics #440, Black Magic #8, Flash #233, 234, Ghosts #33, It's Witching Hour #50,51, 52, 53, 55 Kamandi #24, Shadow #12, Superboy #206, Superman #282, Weird Mystery Tales #15, Wonder Woman #215, and Young Love #116.

Marvel: Adventure Into Fear #27, Amazing Adventures #29, Astonishing Tales #28, Avengers #134, Captain America #182, 183, Chamber of Chills #15, Conan #47-50, DareDevil #113, Fantastic Four #155, 156, Incredible Hulk #158, 167, 181, 182, Iron Man #68, Marvel's Greatest Comics #56, Marvel Super Heroes #49, 50, Marvel Tales #48, 55, Marvel Team-Up #18, 31, Thor #231-234, Tomb of Dracula #32, WereWolf By Night #21

There was an Amazing 129 with a Mark Jewelers variant on eBay a while back, also an Amazing 136. I've sold an Amazing 128.

From Tom Gordon's old website, these are known to have MJ variant:

DC: Action Comics #444, Adventure Comics #440, Black Magic #8, Flash #233, 234, Ghosts #33, It's Witching Hour #50,51, 52, 53, 55 Kamandi #24, Shadow #12, Superboy #206, Superman #282, Weird Mystery Tales #15, Wonder Woman #215, and Young Love #116.

Marvel: Adventure Into Fear #27, Amazing Adventures #29, Astonishing Tales #28, Avengers #134, Captain America #182, 183, Chamber of Chills #15, Conan #47-50, DareDevil #113, Fantastic Four #155, 156, Incredible Hulk #158, 167, 181, 182, Iron Man #68, Marvel's Greatest Comics #56, Marvel Super Heroes #49, 50, Marvel Tales #48, 55, Marvel Team-Up #18, 31, Thor #231-234, Tomb of Dracula #32, WereWolf By Night #21

Donut....there have to be many more than this??? The jeweler's variants I have for DD are in the #127 - #135 range. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Donut....there have to be many more than this??? The jeweler's variants I have for DD are in the #127 - #135 range. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You can almost guarantee that the inserts were in most every issue from the mid-70s on. There was a definitive month that they stopped: Marvel Comics cover dated either May or Jun 1991....

After a cursory glance, these are some of the final issues with the insert:

Fantastic Four #353

Spectacular Spider-Man #177

Punisher #49

Avengers #333

New Mutants #99

X-Factor #67

Note that the inserts apparently were only added in 32 page comics near the end. Some of the "super-sized" issues either have or didn't have the insert. Squarebounds did not. Those that were stapled usually did but not all. ASM #300 and Fantastic Four #350 have the insert and New Mutants #100 did not.

I can only confirm complete runs 4 years before they ended but I also have semi-complete runs from 1989-1992 that had the inserts. I'm pretty sure that the run was continuous from 1992-1994 (the gap in my insert collection - I wasn't overseas to collect off the newsstand then). I've also seen mini-runs from the early 1980s as well. Again, based on my observations and buying them off the newsstand, I wouldn't be surprised that the inserts were included continuously from the 70s on.....

Jim

That's interesting as the inserts were only sold on military bases. If these do exist, I'd say they are very scarce as I'd assume they were only sold on a base in the variant experiment region. But even that doesn't sound right....as the logistics of including an insert in a limited run seems not worth the trouble.....

These were all over San Antonio at the time. S.A. was one of the test markets for the 30 cent variants & at the time had 4 different military bases. You don't really see them much now, but I remember at the time thinking what a rip off it was that I had to pay the extra nickel for the comics.