• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I be disappointed??

96 posts in this topic

Sucks, but that's the risk you take with buying raw books online. The top scan looks great, the bottom looks like a 7.5/8.0 book. Looks like the colors in the top scan were seriously enhanced with the scan. Sucks

Anyone want to see (again) my Hulk #181 I bought as an 8.5?

I will never buy "raw" books online again unless it's from someone I trust, or I don't care about the condition of the books.

-slym

Yes show it.

Sucks, but that's the risk you take with buying raw books online. The top scan looks great, the bottom looks like a 7.5/8.0 book. Looks like the colors in the top scan were seriously enhanced with the scan. Sucks

I will never buy "raw" books online again unless it's from someone I trust, or I don't care about the condition of the books.

-slym

Yes show it.

No slym dont do it, I've seen it a few times and each time a part of me dies. :eek:

What happened to the spine roll, evident in the first scan ?

Looks like someone poorly pressed this book. Photoshopped and a bad press job.

Needed a professional to do it.

doh!

Why is there a 50 post thread on this?

You're not happy with the sale. Return the book to the seller for a refund. If the seller refuses to give you the refund, out him and let the flaming begin.

(thumbs u Exactly!

Out of the 5+ pages, not a single mention on what the book was purchased as (grade). It could simply be that the seller has no idea on the "proper" scanning techniques used when dealing with a crowd such as this.

What was the book's grade advertised as? Was a return policy mentioned? Obviously you don't appear to be happy with purchase, have you let the seller know? If so, what was his/her response? :popcorn:

It's a shame that the boards are turning into a nothing more than conspiracy theorist's worst nightmare! There should be a new sub forum in the marketplace for LUMBER, ROPE, GASOLINE AND TICKETS to the action! doh! A guy/gal can make a fortune!!!

Timmay, don't get me wrong; sure I would be disappointed as well, but before someone's reputation and livelihood could be quickly ruined, maybe the above should be addressed.

Just my 2c... probably not even worth that to anyone, quite frankly I don't really care! I am just amazed at how much the forum has changed in a short period...

:popcorn:

What happened to the spine roll, evident in the first scan ?

Curious as well... good eye (thumbs u

-slym

Yes show it.

No slym dont do it, I've seen it a few times and each time a part of me dies. :eek:

Do it.

DO IT.

But that wouldn't explain the comparisons in the second example - how come there is a third small white dot on the left near the spine? Zoom into those dots and look at the differences between the lines - the one on the right is straighter than the one on the left. Plus, the large faded bit on the right has disappeared in the example on the left. A darkened scan wouldn't explain those differences.

90458.jpg.42ff1b37791cd2bbef2f35c394f9fd29.jpg

-slym

Yes show it.

Do it.

DO IT.

:popcorn:

90459.jpg.a7667cf196fa160eba861a46fb5da957.jpg

The selling picture just has HIGH contrast, they're the same issues... White dots can disappear when you mess with the contrast of a picture and spine ticks also, which most of you obviously know anyway. Just send it back, unless you got it for a good price, even though it's not as nice as you thought. I still think it's a nice book - the sellers contrast may have automatically increased when he scanned the picture?

The selling picture just has HIGH contrast, they're the same issues... White dots can disappear when you mess with the contrast of a picture and spine ticks also, which most of you obviously know anyway. Just send it back, unless you got it for a good price, even though it's not as nice as you thought. I still think it's a nice book - the sellers contrast may have automatically increased when he scanned the picture?

I'm sure they are the same book but HIGH contrast wouldn't take out the faded part of the image without producing noticeable difference throughout the whole image. The only way to do it would be to specifically select the part of the image and then manipulate the contrast. Can't be done any other way without showing up on the rest of the scan.

I work with Photoshop for a living, and, no, there are only two explanations here:

a) the book was damaged during shipping/handling.

b) the seller manipulated the picture digitally

Screwing around with the contrast, the scanner settings, high & low points, etc can only get you so far - there's no way whatsoever that the spine ticks & corner creases in timmay's scan could have been removed without digitally "color-touching" the scan. :sumo: