• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 9.8 Bronze and Copper Age

24 posts in this topic

I don't see Marvel Spotlight 5, House of Secrets 92, All Star Western 10 and Star Wars 1 35 cent variant dropping dramatically in price. :sumo: Compared to ASM 129, Hulk 181 and GS X-Men 1 the number of copies are rare in HG. :frustrated: Then again, maybe there isn't as much interest in those comics as the more popular Hulk 181 and ASM 129. (shrug)

CGC books are going through a boom and bust cycle like most any normal cycle.

Once the excess books have dried up and the weakest sellers have been elimintated, the cycle will begin to tick up and strenghten.

The correct price for the most common of material will always start in the $40.00 to $50.00 range, this is a derived certainty based on the economics of slabbing and selling books.

If this turns out not to be a sustainable price support, then CGC will get put out of business.

Personally, I think the liklihood of this occurring is not particularly high...especially considering the supply and demand factors and the cycles that grading services for other types of collectibles, that can be slabbed, go through.

This is so dumb, it hardly merits a response. You're assuming a decreasing amount of submissions and a steady or growing number of buyers to ever get out of that cyclical downturn you reference. My guess is that, if subs drop too low, CGC will lower prices to encourage subs. Problem is that they have pretty fixed minimum labor requirements that dictates a floor price. They make their money on volume (moderns) not margin (Walk-through, etc.).

In summary, just b/c you say that common slabs will sell for $40-50 does not make it so.