• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tarantino Tells Hollywood To Take Their Green Lantern And Shove It

122 posts in this topic

http://www.moviefill.com/Tarantino-Tells-Hollywood-To-Take-Their-Comic-Book-Movies-And-Shove-It-19602/

In a time when Hollywood is whoring themselves out to comic book fans, Tarantino says, “Nah.” We say, “thank you!”

In a recent interview with MTV, Quentin Tarantino was asked if he’d ever been offered a comic-book franchise. He revealed that one time, back in the day, presumably after a lengthy coke binge (haha, just kidding, clearly a guy who looks like this would never do cocaine), he was offered the Green Lantern.

“I was offered the ‘Green Lantern,’ ” Tarantino told MTV News. “Not since it’s been a -script, but just like, ‘Hey we own the ‘Green Lantern.’ Would you like it?’”

Tarantino said there was a time in his 20s, while working at a video store, when all he wanted to see were comic book movies. “So there’s a little part of me that’s like, ‘Wow, if I was in my 20s, this would be the genre I’d want to specialize in,” he said. “But they weren’t making them then, or at least not the right ones. But there also is an aspect where I’ve kind of outgrown that a little bit.”

Now that he’s in his 40s and has been making features since 1992’s “Reservoir Dogs,” the director says he’s no longer open to adapting any previously established franchise. What does get his creative juices flowing is the idea of exploring completely new superheroes and storylines.

“It wouldn’t be an existing comic book character,” he said. “I’m a writer. I’d want to use my imagination and not have to fight with geeks’ memories of how this character should be and, ‘Oh, I cast an actor as opposed to a bodybuilder’ or it’s not as good as the way [DC Comics artist] Neal Adams drew him.’ If I were to do something like that, I would want the fun of coming up with the superhero myself.”

It’s hard to imagine these days, when Ridley Scott entertains offers to direct a Monopoly movie and the studios can get respectable writers to work on Bazooka Joe, but it’s nice to know that once upon a time, “Hey, you just wrote and directed the most influential film of the 90s, you wanna do this movie about a magic ring?” was an unreasonable request. The only superhero movie I want to see is the one about Bruce Greenwood, the hero created by God himself. That horse feels so inadequate right now.

Tarantino probably should have done the Punisher since all he can do now is Blood and gore. Actually if you substitute the Punisher for Antonio Bandaras movies you pretty much got the plot down. I love the scene when Cheech gets blown away.

Well, that's good, because Tarantino is probably the most over rated director around now that Robert Altman is gone.....

how do we define overrated? There are shades to it. So while I agree that his last 10 years have been disappointing compared to his first few films (Reservoir and Pulp), nobody can take those masterpieces away from him... and thats more than most every other director has in the bank, no matter how "bankable" hollywood considers them..

He tries when he works, and isnt whoring himself around for a paycheck. To his credit.

Well, that's good, because Tarantino is probably the most over rated director around now that Robert Altman is gone.....

Everyone in any industry is overrated...Elvis is overrated,Brando is overrated,Jack Kirby is overrated,Spider-Man is overrated... rantrant

Tupenny is overrated. Check it:

CFP members will be available for signature series signings of this first quarterly issue. $25 per signature. $20 for a Tupenny sig since he signs stuff all day at work, devaluing his signature.

I'll sign for $15.00 or a female flash.......

How about $20 and we'll get Bill to flash you?

Over rated. :gossip:

how do we define overrated? There are shades to it. So while I agree that his last 10 years have been disappointing compared to his first few films (Reservoir and Pulp), nobody can take those masterpieces away from him... and thats more than most every other director has in the bank, no matter how "bankable" hollywood considers them..

:gossip: The Kill Bill movies were good, too.

He says "“It wouldn’t be an existing comic book character,” he said. “I’m a writer. I’d want to use my imagination..."

Must be why all his films are basically based on lots of other peoples films that he's watched.

He says "“It wouldn’t be an existing comic book character,” he said. “I’m a writer. I’d want to use my imagination..."

Must be why all his films are basically based on lots of other peoples films that he's watched.

Interesting point hm

Tarantino probably should have done the Punisher since all he can do now is Blood and gore. Actually if you substitute the Punisher for Antonio Bandaras movies you pretty much got the plot down. I love the scene when Cheech gets blown away.

That's more Robert Rodriguez than Tarantino but they work together a bunch though. I have been enjoying Tarantino's stylized movies like Kill Bill and Deathproof (his part of Grindhouse). I think it would be hard to see him doing a superhero movie. I think I see him more of a violent Kevin Smith. His movies are filled with dialogue. He could pull off the action better than Smith could but that is a different topic.

I have a question.

In that interview why does he keep calling Green Lantern, "The Green Lantern"?

He keeps saying " I was offered the Green Lantern", and "They said hey we own the Green Lantern"

So he thinks it's The Green Lantern, like The Phantom or The Shadow.

Kind of makes me glad he didn't get the film. He would have probably cast Antonio Fargas as Sinestro.

I have a question.

He keeps saying " I was offered the Green Lantern", and "They said hey we own the Green Lantern"

Kind of makes me glad he didn't get the film. He would have probably cast Antonio Fargas as Sinestro.

:roflmao: I did think it odd he kept saying ''the'' Green Lantern.

I have a question.

Isn't Batman always called "The Batman" hm

yeah. and that was an affected usage, for emphasis... and wasnt always in vogue. Most of his time Batman was good enough. I kinda like "the Green Lantern", like the other "the" characters.. but clearly Tarantino said it out of ignorance or unfamiliarity.,,, nt respect or a strong personal bond with the character.

I have a question.

Isn't Batman always called "The Batman" hm

Exactly, just like Spider-Man is called "The Spider-man" and Mr. Fantastic is called "The Mr. Dr. Fantastic Sir"

Either the character has a "THE" before his name as in with Phantom, Stranger, Phantom Stranger hm (wonder if he's a love child), Hulk, Thing....or he doesn't like Green Lantern or Spider-Man.