• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book ubiquity and resulting fatigue

85 posts in this topic

It seems within this thread we are discussing being diverse with your funds as well as being excited about what those funds go toward. I too collect more things than just comics. I have collected baseball cards since I was 4. I have gotten more "serious" about comics in the last 3 years, so my thoughts about collecting come mostly from that genre. Some cards/comics sets/title runs are difficult to find in a true collectable condition. It can be tough to keep your eyes on the prize when the prize seems to never make itself available no matter how many Internet searches, auction calalogs, or shows/shops you may search. To fight this and keep a truely fun element(this hobby is supposed to be fun, right) to collecting I offer this idea to keep things fresh. 1. Keep searching for those grails and keys you truely want. 2. Pick a number of books that you are cool with, for argument sake let's say 10 books. 3. Find a $ figure that you are cool with spending per book, again for arguments sake, let's say $20. 4. At hour own pace pick up/acquire books that you like, look interesting, wondered why other collectors love but you never quite liked, cool covers, from a particular publisher, etc. According to your own price rule until you get to the 10 books.

Now, here is where it gets fun....Keep looking for books, but after you buy #11, you have to sell 1 of your other 10. You basically create a rotating top 10 of fun books to own/read/ acquire so that while you are searching for those ultra roughies, the fun of finding and replacing books in your top 10 can be fun. You set the top___ list for yourself and you set the $$amount so that when that ultra tough book does come along too much funds shouldn't be tied up. Trust me, it is fun and quite interresting when your list is full and you have to pick one to go. It can be quite tough, but in the end you are not selling off books that you truely cherrish.

I know some people basically do this with their collections, but it is more fun with the rules and it keeps you inspired to search for those toughies since you will find interesting and cool books continually along the way.

but it is more fun with the rules

I like to break rules :kidaround:

You have some good ideas! (thumbs u

The Central Valley was a unique collection that contained pre-hero (Action 1) books. A fabulous fine but special as to its contents.

Central Valley or Lost Valley?

Hey what do your expect from an aging person at 6 in the morn...

I only expect you to sell me your Amazing man 26 :baiting:

Sell him the damn book Jon. We'll all be happier then. You can buy it back from him in a few months

The Central Valley was a unique collection that contained pre-hero (Action 1) books. A fabulous fine but special as to its contents.

Sell him the damn book Jon. We'll all be happier then. You can buy it back from him in a few months

Point well taken......

Point well taken......

He'll sell to you at his cost. ;)