• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best/Worst Retcons Ever

65 posts in this topic

Best/Worst Retcons Ever

As the title says, what are the best and worst retcons in Marvel history?

or DC

For me:

Worst:

gwen stacy had green goblin's kids!!!!

Best:

the mind wiping of Batman, dr light, catwoman, and several other characters

bucky and the winter soldier story

Norman Osborn being alive is kinda WTF for me after years of knowing he was dead. I also read somewhere that they changed the identity of the original and 2nd Hobgoblin making some other guy the real deal original Hobgoblin which left me wondering "Why did they bother?"

Best:

the mind wiping of Batman, dr light, catwoman, and several other characters

When did this happen? Can you explain? I don't read DC.

Thx!

A long time ago Dr. Light raped Sue Dibney ( Elgonated Man's wife, I beleive), so the JLA (Zatanna) used her magic to mindswipe him. Batman witnessed this and was pissed, and they did the same thing to him. And now he remembers and is truly pissed. Pick up JLA #115, begins the story-arc were Batman confronts the JLA!!!

Norman Osborn being alive is kinda WTF for me after years of knowing he was dead. I also read somewhere that they changed the identity of the original and 2nd Hobgoblin making some other guy the real deal original Hobgoblin which left me wondering "Why did they bother?"

The originally made him Ned Leeds but then years later changed it to Roderick Kinglsy (I think that was the name) for the Hobgoblin Lives special.

The originally made him Ned Leeds but then years later changed it to Roderick Kinglsy (I think that was the name) for the Hobgoblin Lives special.

^^

The Hobgoblin identity was created by Roger Stern. He had a firm knowledge of the character's ID right from the start. After he left the title, the concept was fumbled around, and Ned Leeds ended up being the guy, in an act of editorial sobotage by James Owsley (Christopher Priest).

Years later, Roger Stern was given the opportunity, in 'Hobgoblin Lives', to finish the story the way he intended.

The Hobgoblin identity was created by Roger Stern. He had a firm knowledge of the character's ID right from the start. After he left the title, the concept was fumbled around, and Ned Leeds ended up being the guy, in an act of editorial sobotage by James Owsley (Christopher Priest).

Years later, Roger Stern was given the opportunity, in 'Hobgoblin Lives', to finish the story the way he intended.

Was it any good? I need to pick that up.

I think it fit better to be Kingsly instead of Leeds. Plus, in one of the books, it stated that the men that killed him shouldnt have been able to with his powers. I think the Spiderman/Wolverine special.....

I think it fit better to be Kingsly instead of Leeds. Plus, in one of the books, it stated that the men that killed him shouldnt have been able to with his powers. I think the Spiderman/Wolverine special.....

It was fantastic.

It was fantastic.

I thought it was fantastic, as well. It was like picking up the Hobgoblin storyline around ASM 260, and concluding it the way it should have been done. (thumbs u

It was fantastic.

I thought it was fantastic, as well. It was like picking up the Hobgoblin storyline around ASM 260, and concluding it the way it should have been done. (thumbs u

Cool.

You guys know your Comics.

I had some help. ;)

One of the most recent issues of 'Back Issue' magazine had an in depth article about the Hobgoblin identity, and how it was passed down after Stern left. Tom DeFalco ended up being the writer of the title, with Owsley (Priest) the editor. DeFalco and Priest didn't get along so well. Ultimately, DeFalco settled on a story and ID for the Hobgoblin reveal. Priest pulled the rug out from under him by making Leeds the Hobgoblin in the Spider-Man/Wolverine one-shot. Jim Shooter then got fed up and fired Priest. Peter David then had to come in, in ASM 289, and create a story that explained how Ned Leeds could have been Hobgoblin.

You guys know your Comics.

I had some help. ;)

One of the most recent issues of 'Back Issue' magazine had an in depth article about the Hobgoblin identity, and how it was passed down after Stern left. Tom DeFalco ended up being the writer of the title, with Owsley (Priest) the editor. DeFalco and Priest didn't get along so well. Ultimately, DeFalco settled on a story and ID for the Hobgoblin reveal. Priest pulled the rug out from under him by making Leeds the Hobgoblin in the Spider-Man/Wolverine one-shot. Jim Shooter then got fed up and fired Priest. Peter David then had to come in, in ASM 289, and create a story that explained how Ned Leeds could have been Hobgoblin.

I also read that and it was excellant.

Ah so the retcon would probably be an enjoyable thing to actually read? I like his appearances between 238-289 with some of them being among my favorite covers. I'll keep it in mind to go read the "Hobgoblin Lives"