• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So how did DC art "get out"?

24 posts in this topic

Would love to hear some background about how DC art left DC. I don't really hear people talking about it.

Probably because most people don't care about DC art. lol

nothing worse than trying to tell a joke and then laughing at it. The idea of a joke is for other people to laugh, not you.

1) Given away to fans

2) Torn to shreds because of weird legal decision that artists' ownership of the art might constitute ownership of the character. Shreds reassembled.

3) Guys in charge of shredding turned out to be fans of original comic art. Art taken out of office.

4) Dapper artist in suit and skinny tie, saying hello to everyone and slapping them on the back, merrily stuffs stacks and stacks of original art into his portfolio before leaving, then sells it all.

5) Stolen.

6) Liberated.

7) Flung into landfill; taken from dumpsters on the way.

8) Zatanna cast spell; editors blinded by fishnets allowed art to walk out on little 3 inch stilettos.

9) Solomon Grundy punched way in, then out, clutching art in meaty fist. Carmine Infantino too shocked to stop him.

10) Phantom Zone criminals last wish: something to read while in exile.

I'll stop there.

Actually, Glen is spot-on with more than half his answers as confirmed to me by many former DC employees I'm friends with...

*I'll let you folks guess which answers though... :)

Let's see. Over half means at least 6. If one considers the last 4 to be "unlikely", that leaves only the first 6.

I actually believe there are more reasons. When DC started returning art to the artists in the late 1970's they returned any of the older artists that they still had. I also believe some of the artists were allowed to keep some of their originals (all above board). I thought that Murphy Anderson kept some his covers (Mystery in Space 90 and Hawkman 4 come to mind) and auctioned them off in the Sotheby/Christies were having their auctions. Obviously, Jerry Robinson kept some of his Golden Age covers.

I would not be cynical about the source of a lot of the older DC art. Some might have left under "shady" circumstances, but nowhere near the questionable liberation of Marvel art.

I'm not so sure that much at all left DC under any shady circumstances

they freely gave the art away to anyone who visited the offices in the 50s & 60s

they gave away almost all of the Flash art for years to letter writers (I'm not sure if other titles were, though I remember writing in to Challengers, so maybe it was)

unless you call the "destruction" part shady. Two employees told to destroy the art, instead cut them into 3 sections or whatever, threw them out, took them out of the trash & brought them home & taped them back together. Most of that material however was unplublished art

I'm not so sure that much at all left DC under any shady circumstances

they freely gave the art away to anyone who visited the offices in the 50s & 60s

they gave away almost all of the Flash art for years to letter writers (I'm not sure if other titles were, though I remember writing in to Challengers, so maybe it was)

unless you call the "destruction" part shady. Two employees told to destroy the art, instead cut them into 3 sections or whatever, threw them out, took them out of the trash & brought them home & taped them back together. Most of that material however was unplublished art

No, I don't view the art that the interns cut and took home or gave away as "shady", and I agree most of the DC art out there came out under accepted practices.

No, I am referring more along the lines of Neal Adams' claims of DC art that was "stolen" in the 1970's. A lot of Batman and Green Lantern pages if I remember right. Neal used to publish a list of art that he considered "stolen". Now, I am not sure of what actually happened, but I don't believe that amount of art could innocently disappear or be "given to fans", or in any form legitimately removed from DC's offices. And, I believe that Neal Adams considers this matter closed and is no longer intere4sted in prosecuting anyone.

Buddy Saunders received a complete Adam Strange story for a letter published in MIS 75. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Not sure about the story. Buddy told me he has two MIS covers...

I'm just going by the response they made to his letter in MIS 75....they said that he had been awarded the OA to a story and stated the name of the story. I don't have a copy of MIS 75 at the moment or I'd scan it. They very well may have sent him a cover instead of the story....they obviously didn't place a high priority on the OA lol ....and Buddy would definitely know if he had an entire story. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thanks to Rich, I also have the artwork for the entire story along with the letter. Also in my CAF.

Cheers!

N.

It was a pleasure Nelson. Always glad when something that was in my own collection for 20 years goes to another passionate collector who'll keep it for the next 20

Rich