• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A grail on Tuesday: For sale on Friday

97 posts in this topic

Comics have gotten so expensive that it's hard to have that much money tied up in a comic that you don't absolutely love. I'm always looking for keepers that I'll enjoy for years. But all too often I later decide that I don't really want a comic and sell to use the money for something else.

It's the economics of the hobby.

I agree. The very few comics I've bought the last few years have mostly fallen into this camp. For example I bought an early marvel mystery from rick because I'd always loved timelys but could never really afford them before and now they didn't seem too bad if in reasonable grade. Well two months later something comes up in my primary collecting focus (which isn't comics, anymore) and has me scrambling for cash. Cue selling the marvel mystery at a bit of a loss without even having cracked it out of the slab to read. Face meet palm doh! doh!

I keep the books that are the core of my collection. Several of my Golden Age Actions have been in my collection for many years. It's when I stray beyond my focus that I find myself not holding onto books. I have a little extra money and there are no nice Actions available, so I pick up a nice Fawcett. A month later a great Action comes along, I need $$, so I sell the Fawcett, usually for the same price that I paid for it.

I used to buy books to flip, but it's rare for me to do that these days. Meaning I don't seek bargains out, but if one falls in my lap, I'll buy it. Heck, I'm even thinking of getting rid of my website, as most of my selling these days is either here or on CL.

I feel most (not all) GA collectors do hold onto their books longer and are interested in building a collection, like Jeff, Mr. Bedrock, Jon Berk, myself, a whole list of other collectors, etc.

It's mostly in the SA where you see alot of churning, maybe it's because there is so much SA material out there, that people are leap frogging from book to book and need to sell the one they just bought to fund a new one.

Not saying that GA collectors don't ever sell, but you don't see the kind of turnover you do in the SA/BA unless of course it's Gator buying the books. :grin:

but even that is a good thing as it gives other collectors who want to own certain GA books the chance to get it. Gator just has better connections and is able to find them for us.

"Is this segment of the hobby (higher grade, higher end) really just a network of dealers, passing books around? "

Great question, I believe the above is a LOUD YES!!!

How about a LOUD, not really. (thumbs u

They pass them along to each other and flip them to HG collectors.

Well, there is my collection and there is my inventory, since I don't allow dupes in the collection, then the upgrade goes in and the lesser hits inventory. Then there is the "buy to flip" when riding the wave of the "hot book" hence my succes with New Mutants 98. Then there is my hording of WBN 32 and TOD 10, which I can move into liquid cash quite easily and most around here ( locally I mean ) know have a good supply on WBN 32 abd TOD 10, but they are all HG raw and I don't discount since they keep creeping up in value and remain popular across the collecting spectrum. I'm prettty sure I'll have my 9.2 Hulk 181 pressed to max out it's $ potential and I'm having my Avengers 4 slabbed for the same reason, however, both of those are strictly investment books for later on down the road and reside in the portfolio section of the collection.

Also, Brunetts Rule :cloud9:

I keep the books that are the core of my collection. Several of my Golden Age Actions have been in my collection for many years. It's when I stray beyond my focus that I find myself not holding onto books. I have a little extra money and there are no nice Actions available, so I pick up a nice Fawcett. A month later a great Action comes along, I need $$, so I sell the Fawcett, usually for the same price that I paid for it.

I used to buy books to flip, but it's rare for me to do that these days. Meaning I don't seek bargains out, but if one falls in my lap, I'll buy it. Heck, I'm even thinking of getting rid of my website, as most of my selling these days is either here or on CL.

I feel most (not all) GA collectors do hold onto their books longer and are interested in building a collection, like Jeff, Mr. Bedrock, Jon Berk, myself, a whole list of other collectors, etc.

It's mostly in the SA where you see alot of churning, maybe it's because there is so much SA material out there, that people are leap frogging from book to book and need to sell the one they just bought to fund a new one.

Not saying that GA collectors don't ever sell, but you don't see the kind of turnover you do in the SA/BA unless of course it's Gator buying the books. :grin:

but even that is a good thing as it gives other collectors who want to own certain GA books the chance to get it. Gator just has better connections and is able to find them for us.

If anything it's because GA prices have been pretty steady for a while now, so there is no incentive to sell, SA prices on the other hand continue to climb, so you but a book for $XXX the next thing you know same book is selling for double what you paid on Clink, so you would feel like a fool not to sell and take advantage.

I guess I can understand the buy/flip game,but it just isnt for me.I buy books in the highest grade I can afford to keep in my collection.Wont be seeing me selling on the boards,but I trust you guys more than anyone online so I'll be buying here for sure :takeit:

If anything it's because GA prices have been pretty steady for a while now, so there is no incentive to sell, SA prices on the other hand continue to climb, so you but a book for $XXX the next thing you know same book is selling for double what you paid on Clink, so you would feel like a fool not to sell and take advantage.

I've got a few GA books that have "doubled" in price, and I'm not selling them, so count me as a fool.

Can't say??? Are you telling us that you bought some rims for your Corolla, and that's why you can't say? :gossip:

lol actually my corolla already has rims. What it didn't have, however, was diamond-encrusted fuzzy dice hanging from the rearview mirror - situation remedied :headbang:

I've got a few GA books that have "doubled" in price, and I'm not selling them, so count me as a fool.

Ditto...I bought Nedors years ago that I could turn and double (or more) my money on, but they ain't going anywhere right now. I bought a Superman # 14 8.0 in March (the depth of the downturn) for about 40% of what I could sell it for now. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and sell the book, but then I think, "will I ever find another that won't cost me an arm and a leg?" The answer is a lot closer to "no" then 99% of the SA/BA books out there. I never have to worry about whether a SA or BA book is replaceable, because with the exception of a rare few, they all are and quite readily available.

I agree with Alton, the constant churn and turnover that is the subject of this thread is a lot more prevelant in SA and BA...heck, I happily buy and sell both those ages just so I can afford some quality Golden Age. (thumbs u

There are probably only three or four "collectors" in the entire industry.

It is a cycle of buying and selling, until the book is sold to one of the few "end users" in the industry. Collector/dealers are not beyond "end usering" though. Tupenny is a collector/dealer, and has a well documented history of buying specific books at above market value, simply for the medicinal benefit of lowering his blood pressure. I "end use" mid-grade X-Men. lookwhoitis is one of the industry gems, as he "end uses" every book he comes across.

Looking on the CGC boards for non-collector/dealers will be tough though. Many sell books to earn money to fund the purchase of other books.

KoR is my buddy :headbang:

My collection is still sweet. :rulez:

I have a lot of respect for someone who takes pride in their collection, even in the face of mocking and scorn.

:insane:

I freely admit that I recycle books... some have managed to stay in my collection for the duration (like World's Finest, etc)... others, due to the tangible value, I have sold and rebought and sold and rebought multiple times (pre robin tecs come to mind)...

it is the nature of the beast... for me, the "hunt" is every bit as important as the "hold"...