• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top Comics of the Decade 2000-2010

52 posts in this topic

I think this thread has turned in to "what books did you like" or "what is a good read from 2000-2009" thread instead of what will truly be the KEYS from the decade. Doesn't "key" imply future collectibility, desirability and increasing value instead of just a good read?

Do you really think the Planet Hulk books are going to be anything more than 10-cent bin fodder alla Knightfall and Doomsday books from the 90's? I liked the first 10 from the new X-force series, but I see those lining the comic bins at Half Priced Books in a few years. (shrug)

His thread specifically states best story or key.

Pat

Most have been mentioned but here are my favorites:

Ed Brubaker Captain America

Geoff Johns Green Lantern

Josh Whedon Astonishing X-Men

Kirman Walking Dead

Ed Brubaker Criminal- Tracy Lawless might be a key appearance in the future.

The resurrection of Conan by Dark Horse through Conan, various minis, and now Conan the Cimmerian

This is the series that actually got me back into the LCS after a long sabbatical.

Plus Conan 24 has boobies... :banana:

+1,000,000

(and Conan 24 has more than just boobies :gossip: )

These were the highlights of the decade for me:

100 Bullets

Alias

Captain America (recently)

Daredevil

Global Frequency

Goon

Hellblazer

Iron Fist

Liberty Meadows

Moon Knight

Mouse Guard

Powers

Sojourn

Strangers in Paradise

Ultimate Spider-Man (early issues)

Yossel (Eisner GN)

Mike

I think this thread has turned in to "what books did you like" or "what is a good read from 2000-2009" thread instead of what will truly be the KEYS from the decade. Doesn't "key" imply future collectibility, desirability and increasing value instead of just a good read?

Do you really think the Planet Hulk books are going to be anything more than 10-cent bin fodder alla Knightfall and Doomsday books from the 90's? I liked the first 10 from the new X-force series, but I see those lining the comic bins at Half Priced Books in a few years. (shrug)

His thread specifically states best story or key.

Pat

Ah, didn't catch the "or". Two different questions...

The aughts were a helluva lot more interesting than the 90's.

Here are some of my favorites of this past decade:

100 BULLETS

AMERICAN BORN CHINESE (look it up...the most highly acclaimed OGN...maybe ever, not just the last decade)

THE BOYS

THE ESCAPISTS

EX MACHINA

THE GOON

SCOTT PILGRIM

THE WALKING DEAD

Y: THE LAST MAN

Now, as to what will endure 10 years from now...here's what I see still selling in TPB format in decent numbers by 2020:

100 BULLETS

THE BOYS

THE GOON

THE WALKING DEAD

Y: THE LAST MAN

FABLES

SCOTT PILGRIM

Depending on what happens to the direct market and bookstores, TPB's (or possibly digital) could be the dominant format 10 years from now. DC sure seems to be gearing up for that, with their new line of OGN's, starting with retcons of Batman and Superman.

As new fans discover these books through TPB's and possible exposure through other media (i.e. movies), I'm sure there will be at least some corresponding demand for the original floppies, esp. #1 issues.

My list does not include much mainstream superhero fare because I'm not sure how much of it will last. Sure, those of us who remember Claremont/Byrne X-MEN and Miller DD will always love those stories. But do new comics readers care as much? My LCS sells way more TPB's of SANDMAN or PREACHER than whatever superhero arc was hot in the 90's (very few new readers will give a about DEATH OF SUPERMAN, for example). For superhero books, it always seems to be what's latest and greatest, especially when it comes to event titles. A year later, no one cares, everyone moves on. We'll see.