• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2010 - Trends, Changes, & more...

11 posts in this topic

What do you guys expect for 2010 for our hobby?

What trends, changes, events do you anticipate for collectors/dealers/auctioneers/publishers?

I will start:

I expect collectors to become noticeably more selective in material mainly because of the plethora of material (which picked up towards the end of this year and I expect to continue) and because the economy will continue to take a toll on peoples' pocketbooks. If people noticed it at the end of this year like I thought I did, I feel this trend will increase/accelerate.

Auction houses will become inundated with the same books which will affect prices.

I think (hope?) many books that were never thought would go for sale will surface this year as the owners realize prices are still strong for good material...but again, the economy, economy, economy...

These are from a personal collector's perspective since I'm neither a dealer nor well connected in the industry like others.

I expect (hoping) the economy to start to strengthen by year end and buyers, with new jobs, to jump back in to the market and start buying up the comic stock at the deflated prices...atleast I hope so.

I think everyone is hoping that the economy will pick up.

I do think that some consignors will reconsider selling their personal books off over the next few months if they don't need to, creating a balance to offset the last couple of months where we have seen a large amount of material come to market and thin the buying pool.

I also hope auction houses become a little more discriminating in the books that they list.

I also wonder if certain vintage "staple", "fan favorite" or "blue chip" titles will pick up steam again after getting the wind knocked out of their sails this year.

I think it will all come down to the buyers: Will people spend the money? We did it in Canada a few years ago when people feared a recession. We spent our way out of it.

Governments can bail out companies all they want, much of that money barely seems to make it down to the average person.

The true economic bailout is going to come from consumers who find a healthy balance between spending (which will strengthen the economy from the ground up around the world) and saving (increasing personal wealth and building a safety net).

R.

The books I don't have yet and want to buy will go up in price

The books I already have and want to sell will go down in price

Yup. That sums my collecting up for next year too.

hahah... what a painful hobby!

don't we all feel that way?

I'm hoping for more OGN's in 2010...

or maybe even more "season" books / mini-series vs ongoings.

hahah... what a painful hobby!

don't we all feel that way?

I'm hoping for more OGN's in 2010...

or maybe even more "season" books / mini-series vs ongoings.

i'm hoping you get your hands on a nice DD 1 in 2010.